Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2024, 06:42:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:13:51 PM]

[Today at 06:08:25 PM]

[Today at 04:35:34 PM]

[Today at 02:48:55 PM]

[Today at 02:21:32 PM]

[Today at 10:52:35 AM]

[June 14, 2024, 10:19:56 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 10:13:46 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 10:08:16 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 09:44:38 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 09:17:03 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 08:56:33 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 08:15:22 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 08:00:20 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 04:30:19 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 04:13:28 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 02:04:11 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 01:44:26 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 01:12:23 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 12:22:14 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 09:55:04 AM]

[June 14, 2024, 09:19:03 AM]

[June 14, 2024, 06:14:40 AM]

[June 13, 2024, 09:28:36 PM]

[June 13, 2024, 07:29:48 PM]

[June 13, 2024, 09:31:23 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Apple Computers Suck!!!  (Read 6045 times)

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Title pretty much says it all.  My new iMac is defective since day one and the are telling me to f-off I am out $1800 and SOOOOOoooo  :smt013 :smt013 :smt013

pdub

• Sand Dab
  • Fish On!!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2007
Yep, sounds like a lemon --- I mean Apple. I have actually heard this a lot about the imac.

bsteves

• Fish Nerd; AOTY Architect
  • Sea Lion
  • Better Fishing through Science!
  • View Profile Northwest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
Sean,

Are you trying to restart the mac v pc debate again?  I believe last time you were a recently converted mac fanboy...

Here's the old topic
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php/topic,6609.html

Brian
Elk I Champ
BAM II Champ

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
The old iMac of Bill's was awesome...so awesome that I sprung for a 20 inch iMac w/ Leopard and enhanced RAM looking for a fun new toy.  My new Mac has never ran longer than 5 minutes w/o crashing iMovie.  I have spent a zillion hours on the phone and made a bunch of trips to the store...it STILL doesn't run.  They kept telling to give them another chance before returning/exchanging so I was patient, now they say its too "old" to return. 

I want to kill someone at Apple.

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Important clarification...this Apple computer is a POS and Apples customer service is the WORST.

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
  • View Profile WM Bayou Lures
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Applecare covers you for a year so there is no way it is too old. Give me a call some  time and I can give you some pointers on navigating the frustrating world of the genius bar.

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
The genius bar ...I have learned that if your really a genius, you apparently don't work in the mall at a retail outlet.  :smt108  I have taken my machine to the genius bar 3X.  Each time they think they have it fixed...each time its still broken.  They told me today that the driver for my Sony miniDV is causing the problems.  I called Sony and they said there is no driver...its a straight digital file when via firewire.  I give!!!!

Hojoman

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Time to contact 7 on Your Side.

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I am so with you Hojo!

Danglin

• Sea Lion
  • Accept Yourself, So Shall The World ...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
I was thinking of the Mac for my next lap top mainly because of the power supply

plug in thingy is magnetic and won't break like my Toshiba just did.

Now I don't know...

Thanks for the heads up

So sorry your having those troubles,  VERY Frustrating :smt011
There are 3 Types of people in the world,,,

The Sheep, The Sheep Dog & The Wolf,

Which are You ,,,

2006 NCKA Shark Fishing Tournament Champion    
2nd Moutcha Bay, BC. 2006 "Tyee" Surfing Contest
ELK 07  1st Place Loser
HMB 09 3rd Place
HMB 09 Sardine Champion
2009-2016 Northern California HOW Coordinator

Love Baja…  :smt055

swellrider

• Salmon
  • View Profile Humboats.com
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Sean I don't know if this will help but there is a Mac store here in Arcata called simply macintosh. The owners Marcia and Simeon Tauber are big time sea-kayakers and have always gone out on a limb for fellow paddlers. I could put in a call for you or just mention that Hawk sent you and they should be willing to help if they can. I have to warn you though that macs are like a religion to them, I'd watch saying anything disparaging about Apple
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 11:01:09 PM by swellrider »
HUMBOATS KAYAK ADVENTURES
www.humboats.com

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
That's what you get for trying to "think different".  j/k. 

Sorry to hear about the bad treatment.  The retail help has got to be limited, and they've got you by the short and curlies over the phone b/c they can just keep routing you around like a jerk.  please keep us posted on how things pan out, would ya?  want to know what works and what doesn't.  good luck man

mickfish

• Global Moderator
  • Fish & Chill
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Group IQ is inversely proportional to the size of the group.

A Steelhead always knows where he is going, but a Man seldom does.

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I have to warn you though that macs are like a religion to them, I'd watch saying anything disparaging about Apple

This is part of the "Apple" problem.  I have expereienced the religion during the good times, but when it isn't right everyone wants to pretend that it must be something else...it can't possibly be the sacred computer.  The fact is, this machine is plain wonky. 

The retail help has got to be limited, and they've got you by the short and curlies over the phone b/c they can just keep routing you around like a jerk.

Exactly.  Eveyone is very compassionate and "understands my frustration" but NOBODY has a working computer that I can have!!!!

Mike-hopefully mine got wet!!! An exchange would be awesome!!!!

I did file a complaint with the BBB and emailed 7 on your side...hopefully someone can help me.  I got this thing on Halloween, they have had PLENTY of time to make things right.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 07:42:34 AM by scwafish »

OldNewbie

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
  As a Mac loyalist since the days of the Plus, I have to defend them. I've used a lot of other computers over the years, from vacuum tube monsters the size of a house to vile little laptops running Windows. The only ones I've ever spent any of my money on have been Macs, and I still have three (gave away the oldest because it just couldn't be updated any further to run latest releases of key software, but that little IIcx was still running perfectly when I did that). They're not perfect, but so far ahead of the competition in that regard it's not even a race. Disclaimer: I haven't been impressed enough with iMovie to start using it much, so I can't guess whether the problem might lie there.
  I'd try a few different things. First, a full OS reinstall. If that doesn't help, back up everything else and do a full reinstall - erase the disk, run Disk Utility, then reinstall from the ground up. If that doesn't work, I can show you a good Mac shop in San Rafael where they know what they're doing. You can also buy diagnostic software and see if you can find the problem yourself, but that's not something I'd suggest unless you're an old hand at it.
  By the way: you should have bought the 24" iMac. I love it. It's the first monitor I've had since my 21" Radius Two-Page on the first Mac I bought that I really enjoy using (still got the Radius, of course). It's so much nicer not to have to squint at things.

anything