Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2024, 06:16:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:13:51 PM]

[Today at 06:08:25 PM]

[Today at 04:35:34 PM]

[Today at 02:48:55 PM]

[Today at 02:21:32 PM]

[Today at 10:52:35 AM]

[June 14, 2024, 10:19:56 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 10:13:46 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 10:08:16 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 09:44:38 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 09:17:03 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 08:56:33 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 08:15:22 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 08:00:20 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 04:30:19 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 04:13:28 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 02:04:11 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 01:44:26 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 01:12:23 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 12:22:14 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 09:55:04 AM]

[June 14, 2024, 09:19:03 AM]

[June 14, 2024, 06:14:40 AM]

[June 13, 2024, 09:28:36 PM]

[June 13, 2024, 07:29:48 PM]

[June 13, 2024, 09:31:23 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Apple Computers Suck!!!  (Read 6044 times)

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
First, a full OS reinstall. If that doesn't help, back up everything else and do a full reinstall - erase the disk, run Disk Utility, then reinstall from the ground up.

This has been done a zillion times.  It has been to the Apple retailer 3x.  It continues to crash.  I know you know computers...you helped invent them! 

What I am saying is THIS particular machine doesn't work right and the Apple Co. doesn't seem to give a damn and would rather waste a million hours of my time vs. simply making it right.

OldNewbie

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
  I missed the invention, sorry. But I did get into the computer racket in 1959 and stayed in it until I retired - systems architect, S&P manager, tech support manager, you name it. Even wrote an assembler, along with applications on PC's, mainframes, and a lot in between. But back to your problem: OK, you've tried the obvious. Be sure you haven't missed any firmware updates; obviously the same goes for software updates. The problem's more likely to be with iMovie or a conflict between iMovie (worth every bit of what you pay for it) and something else you're running. Research those conflicts and remove the offending Microsoft software (SWAG). Try running only iMovie with all other applications shut down; probably won't prove anything. There are Apple forums galore, and you can bet someone else has the same symptoms you have. You'll probably find a fix that way. If not, Marin Mac Shop, 1031 C Street in San Rafael. They're popular, so turnaround time may not be the best, but they're pretty good at what they do.
  There used to be some conflict catchers floating around for earlier Mac OS's. There probably are for the newer stuff as well. Some times they worked. You can also try some of the other known generic fixes, such as unchecking the "Open With ..." box for the application you suspect. The TechTool type stuff can occasionally help diagnose a problem as well.
  If all else fails, just buy some video editing software and give up on iMovie. From what I've seen and heard of it, it's not Apple's best work. I'd suspect the application in this case, not hardware. But if you think Apple Computers suck, you need to live with Windows for a while.

HobieSport

• Salmon
  • Let us go fishing together
  • View Profile
Sean, as OldNewbie says, I'd look for a software conflict with iMovie. Sure it's frustrating as heck, especially when your tech support is unsupportive.  I used to be an Apple only guy, back when Windows "sucked", but have since switched to Windows and never looked back.  My GF still uses Apple with no more problems than any other computer, and I wouldn't dis Apple because of one problem.  They are generally well made.  Basically, all computers suck when they don't work, and I love them.  Good luck.  -Matt

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
  • View Profile WM Bayou Lures
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
iMovie is the only thing that crashes?

What is the exact model # of your camera?

ZeeHokkaido

• Sea Lion
  • Kayaking + Fishing = Happiness!
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Hokkaido
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
As someone who uses a Mac on a daily basis I guess I gotta say something. IMO all computers have problems and Apples have less. That being said Apple squeezes out a few lemons. I don't know what the hell happens but I've heard of a few people's stories just like SCWA where no matter what they did their Mac's refused to work. I think it's really frustrating since when you get an Apple you're hoping to get away from the PC/Windows crashing woes.

One thing I'm sure of is that Apple's customer service has gone in the toilet. They used to be a lot more helpful. Then again I can't speak for any of the PC corps either.

To SCWA, I wish I was closer by to offer any of my help that I could give. If you need a loaner I've got a Powerbook w/ FCP installed. And it's pumped out well over 5 seasons of network & cable TV shows on it w/o a glitch! :smt002

Z
2010 NWKA Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - 1st place
Stealth Kayaks
Kokatat Watersports Wear
Hobie Polarized Sunglasses
Orion Coolers

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
Here is a big list of things to try

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=6165949

Also download and install the previous version of iMovie and see if it helps:

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/imoviehd603.html

HobieSport

• Salmon
  • Let us go fishing together
  • View Profile
It just goes to show, you get better tech support from NCKA than from Apple these days.   :smt001

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
iMovie is the only thing that crashes...that I know of. I haven't had an opportunity to try any thing else. I bought it for the sole purpose of making movies for my new website, so thats all I have tried to do.  My PC in the office does all of the boring "guy in the suit" stuff.   I haven't installed any other software, and have only run iMovie all by itself.

My camera is dcr-hc96. It has worked flawlessy with Bills iMac and my PC. Apple's latest iBlame for the problem is the cameras driver.  I spoke with advanced tech at Sony about the "driver".  Sony says there isn't one, it exports a raw video file when hooked to a Mac via firewire.  FYI-other prevevious excuses was early Leopard (updated by Apple), p-list problems (tweaked by Apple), and a bad logic board (sat for 3 weeks waiting for parts but was never replaced)) 

I don't want to take it somewhere to pay money to get it serviced...it is BRAND NEW and should work!!!  I do however appreciate the help, feels good to at least have someone that cares try and help!  I LOVE you guys!! 

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
It just goes to show, you get better tech support from NCKA than from Apple these days.

Indeed.

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
Wrong link for the download of the old iMovie here is is

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/imovieHD6.html

Try this first and let us know how it goes.

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
If it makes you feel any better, many other people are reporting the same problem. At this point I doubt it is a problem with your machine and more likely some weird iMovie bug. Try the old iMovie and see if that helps. I have a copy of the new Final Cut Express I will loan you as well.

Backcountry

• Veni, vidi, cecidi
  • Salmon
  • I love animals, they're delicious!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2007
One word...

Catharsys...

There, doesn't that feel better? 
NSDQ

ZeeHokkaido

• Sea Lion
  • Kayaking + Fishing = Happiness!
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Hokkaido
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Two words.. boxing workout. Then you don't have to throw away $K's

« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 10:48:38 AM by Zeelander »
2010 NWKA Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - 1st place
Stealth Kayaks
Kokatat Watersports Wear
Hobie Polarized Sunglasses
Orion Coolers

Backcountry

• Veni, vidi, cecidi
  • Salmon
  • I love animals, they're delicious!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2007
The boxing workout will be especially cathartic if the sparring partner is Steve Jobs.

NSDQ

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Wrong link for the download of the old iMovie here is is

My Mac is at the store getting fixed, I will try it when I get it back.