Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 08:58:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:33:23 PM]

[Today at 07:55:33 PM]

[Today at 07:14:49 PM]

[Today at 04:52:58 PM]

[Today at 02:50:42 PM]

[Today at 02:41:24 PM]

[Today at 02:30:38 PM]

[Today at 01:47:16 PM]

[Today at 07:45:25 AM]

by &
[June 05, 2024, 10:26:37 PM]

[June 05, 2024, 09:49:34 PM]

[June 05, 2024, 09:23:04 PM]

[June 05, 2024, 07:52:44 PM]

[June 05, 2024, 06:52:33 PM]

[June 05, 2024, 03:46:51 PM]

[June 04, 2024, 06:18:55 AM]

[June 04, 2024, 06:17:34 AM]

[June 03, 2024, 08:15:05 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 07:37:32 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 06:07:14 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 04:55:38 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Elk passes BOD 7-0...woohoo!  (Read 5428 times)

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
I went to the BOD last night in Elk.  While there was again some e-mail based opposition again from the same few individuals (4 people in total) that killed the buzz last year, I was able to address most of those issues to the satisfaction of the BOD.  Some of the issues I couldn't address were seen as insignifcant by the BOD.  The few, isolated detracters lost all credibility when they had two chances to express thier misgivings to the BOD, yet never showed at either meeting.

Their were several locals who did show up, but they were in favor...yeah! :smt007.  In the end the BOD felt the overall event was really cool, and very positive and they approved it unanimously. A few things will be different this year, but they are mostly simple logistics, like not parking cars on the "lawn".  No worries, we can do that.  The other major concern of the BOD is that we make sure the community feels free to participate this year, so I will do a better job of local promotion this year, as well as inviting locals who don't want to fish to participate in things like the fish printing and the potluck...the town of Elk love a potluck as much as we do.  Lets show em how we roll!

A word of caution for this year...the local park ranger who was opposed to the tourney last year has moved on and is now a warden.  He was one of the email detractors this year again. He lives next door to the GCC.  Personally I feel this is a conflict of interest, but he was infact clear in his emails that his opposition was his "personal view and not that of DFG"...regardless I am sure he will be checking our catch with great vigor.  Lets make SURE we disappoint him with our ability to ID fish, our knowledge of the code and our respect for the regs.  In particular, since we will be here for several days, watch your possession limits.  It would great to watch him tirelessly check our catch and come away with nada, except looking petty.

That said we will be able to enjoy the benefits of our fundraising at this years event.  By the time of the event, the kitchen at the GCC will be freshly remodeled so cooking and food prep will be even nicer.  I will make more improvement to the man-showers, and we will have much better fish cleaning facilities. 

Get ready to party!

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
I personally am in favor of switching the man showers indoors and let the ladies shower outside. A beer and a show after fishing, does it get any better? :smt002 :headbang:
<=>

Hat Trick

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
so everyone in elk supports angling, except the park warden guy, go figure.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 08:20:18 AM by cpkayak »
2006 AOTY STRIPERKING

alien

• Sea Lion
  • WSB/MBK 10/01/09 56"--/46 pounds
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
That's Great News!!!

I'm ready to party....

:alien:

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
I personally am in favor of switching the man showers indoors and let the ladies shower outside. A beer and a show after fishing, does it get any better? :smt002 :headbang:

Mike, I like how you think  :smt023 I'll bring the boom box  :kick :metal

Sean - thanks again for getting this shindig going! You are now officially the "Don King"   :icon_r&r:   of NorCal kayak fishing :smt002
« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 11:06:18 AM by Mooch »

ChuckE

• Global Moderator
  • View Profile

Mike, I like how you think  :smt023 I'll bring the boom box  :kick :metal

Sean - thanks again for getting this shindig going! You are now officially the "Don King"   :icon_r&r:   of kayak fishing :smt002
Ditto... on your suggestion, Mike! :smt112

Sean, with attendance expected to maybe double this year.... are you going to cap the number of participants?

It might put a strain on the GCC if we had twice as many particapants and campers as last year.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 11:05:29 AM by ChuckE »
Winner - 2023 ARW Halibut Derby "King of the Wall"
Winner - 2018 ARW Halibut Handline Derby
Winner - 2013 Doran Beach Crabfest
2nd Place - 2012 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner (Biggest Rock Crab) - 2010 Half Moon Bay Crabfest
Winner - 2009 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner - 2009 Paradise Halibut Hunt
Winner - 2007 NCKA Angler of the Year
Winner "Grand Slam" - 2007 Bendo @ Mendo III
2nd Place - 2007 Monterey Bay Kayak Fishing Derby
Winner - 2004 Santa Cruz Kayak Fishing Derby

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
Sean,

If you know how to contact the warden guy, please tell him that he has an open invite to fish the front seat of my Triple, assuming I make this tourney.  I have a feeling he didn't fish enough as a child.  I'm certain I can fix that.

-Allen

Seabreeze

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Allen beat me to the suggestion that we get the warden guy out with us.

Perhaps I can make a nice one page handout for all participants so that there is no doubt about DFG regs.

Pat
Saltwater is the cure for everything that ails us,
sweat, tear or the sea.

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
I say we put Mr. DFG / Warden to the test......we'll have a volunteer (like Bill) catch a stringer full of canary rock fish and claim that it's all vermillion - and gut it in front of the warden and see if  he says anything  :smt003

And if we can't get Bill to volunteer, I'll just catch one and dump it on the tank well of an unsuspecting fellow kayak angler and see what happens  :smt077

....I'm sure at this point, ya' all rather get the "banana-gift" from the mooch instead  :smt002

For those of you who did not make it last year, here's a recap:

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/bb/index.php?topic=1409.0
« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 03:36:21 PM by Mooch »

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
If you know how to contact the warden guy, please tell him that he has an open invite to fish the front seat of my Triple, assuming I make this tourney.  I have a feeling he didn't fish enough as a child. 

Pretty sure he fishes Elk his self, and part of the animosity is based on us outsiders fishing "his" spot.

Sean, with attendance expected to maybe double this year.... are you going to cap the number of participants?

There will be a cap, and its going to be low...sssso be ready to sign up as soon as its posted.

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
I think that last years participants should be grandfathered in up to a certain date. Maybe for 2 weeks from the posting date. After that if they haven't responded then those slots become open to first come first served.
<=>

Randy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I say we put Mr. DFG / Warden to the test......we'll have a volunteer (like Bill) catch a stringer full of canary rock fish and claim that it's all vermillion - and gut it in front of the warden and see if  he says anything  :smt003

And if we can't get Bill to volunteer, I'll just catch one and dump it on the tank well of an unsuspecting fellow kayak angler and see what happens  :smt077
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/bb/index.php?topic=1409.0

Mooch -

Still playin' "libero," eh?

Randy

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I think that last years participants should be grandfathered in up to a certain date. Maybe for 2 weeks from the posting date. After that if they haven't responded then those slots become open to first come first served.

Booooo!!!!!  :smt107

Things were crazy for me last year and I couldn't make it.....obviously I missed out big time, it would suck to ride the bench two years in a row. 
..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker

Blue Jeans

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Sean, is the issue going to be the number of particpants camping or actually fishing. Are there satellite camping locations in with 30 minutes or so?

-Brian G

mickfish

• Global Moderator
  • Fish & Chill
  • View Profile
Booooo!!!!! 

I agree

I think the closer you live to Elk you should be given preference,or if you placed in the top 3 in a Tourney last year.
 No seriously it should be first pay first in or weight it by your registration date on this site.
Group IQ is inversely proportional to the size of the group.

A Steelhead always knows where he is going, but a Man seldom does.

anything