Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 05:30:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:15:56 AM]

[June 03, 2024, 10:31:50 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 08:52:35 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 08:15:05 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 07:37:32 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 06:25:19 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 06:07:14 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 04:55:38 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 04:11:06 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 04:06:59 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 01:11:45 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 11:31:14 AM]

[June 02, 2024, 01:03:50 PM]

[June 02, 2024, 12:53:57 PM]

[June 01, 2024, 09:21:54 PM]

[June 01, 2024, 07:00:43 PM]

[May 31, 2024, 10:52:30 PM]

[May 31, 2024, 03:48:11 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Bay Farm Island Alameda  (Read 1685 times)

Token

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2022
Hey all. I know that ARW is a popular place to fish and launch in Alameda, but I was wondering if there were any halibut to be caught around Bay Farm. And if so, where do people launch from? Thanks!

clockwise

• Salmon
  • Lloyd
  • View Profile Youtube channel
  • Date Registered: May 2021
There's boat ramps at the MLK regional shoreline but it's gonna be an almost 3 mile paddle to get into the bay from there. There's a ramp just north of the El Torito at the San Leandro marina that should put you south of the airport. Never tried it but I've thought about launching there. Might be more productive than ARW this time of year.
Ocean Kayak Prowler 13T (Sold to NCKA member)
Hobie Revolution 13

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT6lX2sIkRcM5-qdjlM4aiA

Fishcomb

• Sea Lion
  • Banted by Moderators
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2012
you can launch right across the street from Peet's Coffee. You can also launch outside of shoreline park.

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
you can launch right across the street from Peet's Coffee.
On a low tide, you may have to walk your yak across sand (therefore some mud).
2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

Sea-bree

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2021
I was considering a similar option. Launching south of OAP somewhere near San Leandro. I was eyeballing the San Leandro marina as a potential launch, but don’t know the lay of the land. Anyone tried it? Doubtful there’s a mud walk concern since there’s a full marina (assuming there’s dredged out channels) but what about safe parking, nearby places to score bait, etc…
With gratitude and humility

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
I was considering a similar option. Launching south of OAP somewhere near San Leandro. I was eyeballing the San Leandro marina as a potential launch, but don’t know the lay of the land. Anyone tried it? Doubtful there’s a mud walk concern since there’s a full marina (assuming there’s dredged out channels) but what about safe parking, nearby places to score bait, etc…
You have some ways to go if you want to reach certain depths.  However, if you are lucky, you can hit limits in a hurry.  But I find it that if you dont have a fast yak, its a pain to get out to typical halibut depth.  Rays on the other hand .... they're plenty.

2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

IdleFishing

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
I have had success there.  In that area I focus most of my fishing on the west side of bay farm where you can launch anything you are willing to balance on your head down the rocky shoreline.  The ferry has a channel that runs from the bay directly to bay farm, and that holds fish.  However, what you also need to know is everything around that channel gets very shallow if not exposed during low tide. I would be cautious if using a rudder or mirage/pedal drive because it'll be the cause of running a ground.  Thats an important note because the other thing is that channel is really only wide enough around bay farm to accommodate not much more than the ferry.  Also, everything within 100 yards from shore from the southwest to south along the Oakland Airport is off limits and the sheriffs will be called by airport security if near that boarder.  That being said if you are still willing to fish it sometime send me a PM, we can coordinate, and I'll join ya.  It's a special area that is beyond kayaking range from ARW.
-Yao
Yao

Mango Hobie Adventure Island
Red Hobie Revolution 13
Yellow Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Token

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2022
I have had success there.  In that area I focus most of my fishing on the west side of bay farm where you can launch anything you are willing to balance on your head down the rocky shoreline.  The ferry has a channel that runs from the bay directly to bay farm, and that holds fish.  However, what you also need to know is everything around that channel gets very shallow if not exposed during low tide. I would be cautious if using a rudder or mirage/pedal drive because it'll be the cause of running a ground.  Thats an important note because the other thing is that channel is really only wide enough around bay farm to accommodate not much more than the ferry.  Also, everything within 100 yards from shore from the southwest to south along the Oakland Airport is off limits and the sheriffs will be called by airport security if near that boarder.  That being said if you are still willing to fish it sometime send me a PM, we can coordinate, and I'll join ya.  It's a special area that is beyond kayaking range from ARW.
-Yao

Thanks for the info and the invite! I live close by so I plan on being around Alameda a lot this season. If you're fishing on the west side of Bay Farm, can you launch from the Southshore area as well? I know it's really shallow over there, especially during low tide, but I'm wondering if it's possible to paddle out there with the mirage drive out and the rudder up.

IdleFishing

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
Never tried it myself but I’m sure it’s doable.

-Yao
Yao

Mango Hobie Adventure Island
Red Hobie Revolution 13
Yellow Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro