Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 02:27:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 12:24:26 AM]

[June 03, 2024, 10:31:50 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 08:52:35 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 08:15:05 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 07:37:32 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 06:25:19 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 06:07:14 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 04:55:38 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 04:11:06 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 04:06:59 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 01:11:45 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 11:31:14 AM]

[June 02, 2024, 01:03:50 PM]

[June 02, 2024, 12:53:57 PM]

[June 01, 2024, 09:21:54 PM]

[June 01, 2024, 07:00:43 PM]

[May 31, 2024, 10:52:30 PM]

[May 31, 2024, 03:48:11 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Kayak crabbing out of Pacifica State Beach???  (Read 2017 times)

AndrewWard

• Sand Dab
  • I'm a Noob
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2021
Does anyone have any opinion or experience or thoughts on launching out of the Pacifica State Beach to do some kayak crabbing? Seems like pretty easy access… And the ocean floor seems pretty gradual, probably Sandy. Wondering what peoples Dungenous crabbing is like from that beach area?

eelkram

• Sea Lion
  • it's my name, backwards
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
If you can, search for "LM" or "Linda Mar" = Pacifica State Beach.  Launch from the South end, be mindful of surfers, and just know that there are juvenile white sharks around.  It's a popular spot.
'15 Viking ProFish Reload, wasp
'11 Hobie Revo 13, skunk yellow
'12 Hobie Outfitter, dune (I'm the guy pedaling in the back)

jp52

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2017
Also search for Rockaway. That's the next cove to the north. Again, launch at the south end. I think it's an easier launch. It's also a very popular spot.

AndrewWard

• Sand Dab
  • I'm a Noob
  • View Profile
and just know that there are juvenile white sharks around.  It's a popular spot.

What?  "White" as in "Great White"?  Little pissy juveniles things with no self-control ready to mess with a kayaker?  How come the surfers don't worry.  And this is 1/2 mile from Rockaway.. Are these little things there also?

The only problem with Rockaway is that beasty little hill you have to push your heavy fishing yak up at the end of the day.  Most times it seems like you have to have a helper get it up this thing.... (I guess that's what the "community" is for?)   Is there any way to coordinate with others going out of Rockaway on the weekends?

I almost went out Sunday, but 4 1/2 ft and 9.x sec period + a little wind made it kinda uninviting.. Does anyone have any good rule of thumb for safe kayaking wind, swell, period for kayaking out of Rockaway?

And are you basing this on GFS or ECMWF weather forecasts?

Thanks all!

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2020
        FYI, the juvenile GWS mentioned are 6-8'. I wouldn't take them lightly.
https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2021/06/28/surfer-injured-in-shark-attack-at-gray-whale-cove-on-san-mateo-coast/
    Search the forum for conditions information. lots of sites to reference.
This off season is a good time to practice self-rescue if you haven't already.  HMB harbor is a good place to practice on a sunny day. Could save your life.
Slate Hobie Compass

2023 MBK 1st place

li-orca

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2019
LM and Rockaway are both good launching spots to go crabbing. It’s relatively safe IMHO but don’t take the gradual beach to mean easy. You can capsize there easily (I did last time I went crabbing and I’ve been there many a times).
Luck favors the prepared

2019 Revo 16

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
and just know that there are juvenile white sharks around.  It's a popular spot.

What?  "White" as in "Great White"?  Little pissy juveniles things with no self-control ready to mess with a kayaker?  How come the surfers don't worry.  And this is 1/2 mile from Rockaway.. Are these little things there also?

The only problem with Rockaway is that beasty little hill you have to push your heavy fishing yak up at the end of the day.  Most times it seems like you have to have a helper get it up this thing.... (I guess that's what the "community" is for?)   Is there any way to coordinate with others going out of Rockaway on the weekends?

I almost went out Sunday, but 4 1/2 ft and 9.x sec period + a little wind made it kinda uninviting.. Does anyone have any good rule of thumb for safe kayaking wind, swell, period for kayaking out of Rockaway?

Thanks all!
General rule…swell period twice the height is a minimum for a doable day.  You have to find what wave height is your limit.  When periods get longer and swell is still say 3ft, the waves get steeper at the shore.  I can launch at 4ft 8sec but 4 at 12 gets pretty big.  Who am I?  I’m scared the whole time, a good kinda fear.  An alert safe kinda fear.  This rule is for open ocean.  Secondary swell and wind can push waves into bigger heights.  I do not care to fish above 10kts of wind, gusts to 20, again, you’re going to find your limitations.  Depending on direction of swell per launch location, one’s skills are certainly tested.  Once you get out, those numbers you aimed for work.  Wait for the lull during sets and paddle your face off and don’t look back.  Oh, then there’s the landing… :smt005 :smt009 :smt006  plenty of threads on weather conditions by the mighty search portal on this forum…see ya’ on da wattah…
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

AndrewWard

• Sand Dab
  • I'm a Noob
  • View Profile

eelkram

• Sea Lion
  • it's my name, backwards
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013

Thanks all!

Ehhh, we're in the red triangle... the GWS's are everywhere. There was some good drone footage of juvenile sharks cruising the surfline at Rockaway/Pacifica on YTube a while back.  Just thought you should be aware.  There's a "Hook Up" section that you can post your outings or coordinate a trip to launch/land with others. 

I generally use Eddie's math for launching from a beach:  Swell should be more than 2x Period... nothing more than 3ft for me; and no wind over 10mph.  These days, I like my kayaking to be relaxing and comfortable.  :smt003
'15 Viking ProFish Reload, wasp
'11 Hobie Revo 13, skunk yellow
'12 Hobie Outfitter, dune (I'm the guy pedaling in the back)

nando

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
Also if you're just starting out, I strongly recommend not surf launching with crab pots until you know what you're doing.

To illustrate the point: do you know ideal wind/tide/swell conditions for launching in the particular spot you're considering? Do you know hazards along that particular stretch of coast? Do you have an experienced buddy? Have you practiced self rescue? Do you have all the necessary safety gear, including redundancy?

I understand the froth to get out there, but try easier spots first and get some experience under your belt.

AndrewWard

• Sand Dab
  • I'm a Noob
  • View Profile
...do you know...

Yes, of course, I'm aware and can answer, "Yes" to all those points.  Took a great 1:1 session from a 35-year experience pro on wave theory, practice and surf-launching (Chris  @ HMB Kayaking (owner)) Of course more practice will add to my ability and confidence tally. And, yes, I have self-rescued with a flipped, fully loaded, motorized yak @ Rockaway. (Learned a lot of lessons from that.) 

BTW.. Still using crab RINGS, not boxes... Easier to carry on the yak... Only have 3 though... Enough for now.

Now back to the original topic.

IdleFishing

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
The crabbing is hit or miss. I tell ya there are TONS of female dungees there right now and mostly all shorts within 50ft. Earlier in the season there was more action in that range but since commercial season has opened up it’s been tougher, and I say “tougher” because it’s always tough getting through that soft sand returning to the parking lot.

And agreeing with what everyone else said; from personal experience the launch is tricky with crabbing gear, I just lost a bunch, hoops and pots very recently while launching there. Is it worth a shot? All things considered, sure.

-Yao

Yao

Mango Hobie Adventure Island
Red Hobie Revolution 13
Yellow Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

TommyTwoFish

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
Rockaway can have a pretty significant rip current right at the preferred launch at the south end of the beach.  Often times you will see the surfers riding the rip out and then turning more towards the center of the beach to catch their waves.  I have never figured out what conditions/swell direction setup for that rip to be especially strong, but it is something watch out for.  Launching is, of course, easy with the rip, but you don't want to relax on the way in.  Did that once and end up getting dumped and spit back out amongst the the surfers.

TommyTwoFish

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016

I generally use Eddie's math for launching from a beach:  Swell should be more than 2x Period... nothing more than 3ft for me; and no wind over 10mph.  These days, I like my kayaking to be relaxing and comfortable.  :smt003

I am pretty much an exact match to these rules of thumb.  Kinda settled there after 3 years of trial and error.  At some of the launches even 3ft can be a bit big when coupled with those longer periods (12 sec+), and you need to make sure you have your timing right.