Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 03, 2024, 01:40:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:16:05 PM]

[Today at 01:13:41 PM]

[Today at 01:11:45 PM]

[Today at 11:31:14 AM]

[Today at 10:38:02 AM]

[Today at 09:55:06 AM]

[Today at 09:13:54 AM]

[June 02, 2024, 07:53:47 PM]

[June 02, 2024, 01:03:50 PM]

[June 02, 2024, 12:53:57 PM]

[June 01, 2024, 09:21:54 PM]

[June 01, 2024, 07:00:43 PM]

[May 31, 2024, 10:52:30 PM]

[May 31, 2024, 03:48:11 PM]

[May 31, 2024, 07:09:01 AM]

[May 31, 2024, 05:23:24 AM]

[May 30, 2024, 11:20:36 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Wind gusts  (Read 1710 times)

Fear58

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2020
New to kayak fishing, and looking at the forecast tomorrow (using windy.com) and see wind at about 8 kt, but wind gusts at 19 kt around 11am at the spot I'm planning tomorrow (pillar point).

I've read alot about weather conditions and wind, with wind being less than 15 kt usually being regarded as ideal. But what about gusts? Is the wind speed usually regarded as the speed to base your decision off of, or should I be looking at gusts more closely?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
Pillar Point wind is no joke.
You better be in condition if it picks up on you out there especially if you’re paddling.
Pronounced in Spanish  ka·be·za de mar·t·yo
Translates to Hammerhead in English for my Gringo amigos.
....and yes that's me with a 6ft. green moray in the avatar.

"Spearos before Hos" - Silent Hunter

"Give your son a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Proud Papa of ...........
2018 JAOTY Lucas aka Baja Ninja
2018 JDOTY Noah aka Silent Hunter

Tim in Albion

• Salmon
  • Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2018
Definitely pay attention to the gust forecast. Gusts can be way more dangerous and harder to deal with than a steady breeze.
I wouldn't go out in that forecast.
Swell Scupper 14 in Great White (!)

• Old school or no school.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2014
14' Necky Dolphin, fast and wiggly, no room for anything.
Old Mitchell reel junkie.

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
There are a lot of fishing days on the calendar. Wait until one presents better conditions.
<=>

Twopatch

• Salmon
  • I like my tea,in the harbor
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2019
Windy was way off yesterday. At least in the sierra. Went to bear river res. It was calling for 7-9 gusts to 15. Worse as the day progressed. 6:30 to 7:30 it was close .But after that it was calm until I left at 1. Btw if you like sardine sized trout that is the place to go.
We have the government, that our forefathers warned us about.

oysterer

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
I use Windy a lot as well; along with Fish Weather app, Windfinder app and Weather Underground. It's worth your while to become acquainted with the different forecast models that each of these sites uses.
Windy is unique in that you can view 3-4 different forecast systems simultaneously. Each model will have a differing level of reliability at individual locations. For example, I've found that the GFS model is more accurate than ECMWF at Tomales, and vice versa offshore.
Over time you will be able to pick your days much better, but it's all experiential...

Fear58

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2020
Ended up going out with the plan of being cautious (first hint of big gusts, coming back in). Had my eye on the turning hour according to Windy (11AM) with the plan to be close to the harbor by then. I stayed out until 11:30, and it seemed to be getting a little more windy, but overall, it was not bad at all... an occasional 15mph gust every couple minutes it seemed. It was a nice beautiful morning out in PP, but the only fish biting for me were small croaker (hooked about six). Loads of fun for me... these were my first hookup while kayak fishing! I only went about half a mile out between the jaws and the green buoy... taking it easy as I learn.

To me, it seems the GFS forecast was more accurate predicting the conditions today for pillar point than ECMWF (I think the default for windy.com). Definitely going to get in the habit of looking up several different forecasts in the future.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 02:12:03 PM by Fear58 »

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
New to kayak fishing, and looking at the forecast tomorrow (using windy.com) and see wind at about 8 kt, but wind gusts at 19 kt around 11am at the spot I'm planning tomorrow (pillar point).

I've read alot about weather conditions and wind, with wind being less than 15 kt usually being regarded as ideal. But what about gusts? Is the wind speed usually regarded as the speed to base your decision off of, or should I be looking at gusts more closely?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Why do you bother asking people's opinion if youre going to go out anyway.  :smt102
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

Sakana Seeker

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
I use Windy a lot as well; along with Fish Weather app, Windfinder app and Weather Underground. It's worth your while to become acquainted with the different forecast models that each of these sites uses.
Windy is unique in that you can view 3-4 different forecast systems simultaneously. Each model will have a differing level of reliability at individual locations. For example, I've found that the GFS model is more accurate than ECMWF at Tomales, and vice versa offshore.
Over time you will be able to pick your days much better, but it's all experiential...

I have been paying attention this year to the GFS forecast w actual conditions on the days that I fish and I agree that GFS is a better forecast for the Bolinas area than ECMWF. The discrepancy is quite large at times with the ECMWF predicting much higher winds than that experienced. Caveat, small sample size.
IG: @sakana_seeker

Machine_Ruse

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020

That's good info to know, thanks.

Nolanduke

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2016
Ever since SS's post, I have been paying more attention to the forecast model and I agree, GFS is more accurate.  Small sample size as well.  The ECMWF model is the boogie man!