Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 03, 2024, 12:48:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 12:42:03 PM]

[Today at 11:31:14 AM]

[Today at 10:38:02 AM]

[Today at 10:37:34 AM]

[Today at 09:55:06 AM]

[Today at 09:13:54 AM]

[June 02, 2024, 07:53:47 PM]

[June 02, 2024, 01:03:50 PM]

[June 02, 2024, 12:53:57 PM]

[June 02, 2024, 12:17:36 PM]

[June 01, 2024, 09:21:54 PM]

[June 01, 2024, 07:00:43 PM]

[May 31, 2024, 10:52:30 PM]

[May 31, 2024, 03:48:11 PM]

[May 31, 2024, 07:09:01 AM]

[May 31, 2024, 05:23:24 AM]

[May 30, 2024, 11:20:36 PM]

[May 30, 2024, 04:38:38 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Practicing kayak recovery in pillar point harbor  (Read 1574 times)

Fear58

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2020
New to kayak fishing and initially thought I would practice rolling and recovering my kayak in some lakes. However, Pillar Point is much closer to me than any accessible lake, and I'm thinking about practicing kayak recovery inside the harbor (taking off from HMB Kayak Co.).

Any issues with this plan? Any reason why practicing safety inside the harbor should be avoided? Also, what are some fish to target inside PP harbor? Thanks for the help!

Code3

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2018
You should be fine.  You can catch rockfish along the far (straight out) North jetty wall. Good luck.
We're gonna need a bigger boat!

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Just watch-out for the power boats  :smt003
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

tehpenguins

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2019
my first practice self recovery was inside pilliar point harbor.  should be easy enough
- Shane

2015 Papaya Hobie Revolution 13
2014 Hibiscus Revolution 13
2011 Blue F150 with Camper Shell

sebast

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
I took a safety class in Pillar Point harbor, it's a good place (and reasonably warm according to my kids, who were swimming there today).
2015 TI
2017 Outback

FISHALLDAY

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
Fear58,

I absolutely love that you're taking the time to learn how to self rescue. The only thing I would suggest is practicing with someone to spot you or near shore (where you could swim to safety if need be). Even in the harbor things can turn sour as I've personally witnessed a few months ago... :smt010

Fear58

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2020
Happy to say I had a great 4th of July weekend -- my 2020 Outback went on it's maiden voyage and practiced self-rescue in Pillar Point (and even got some fishing in)!

I convinced my fiance to come to join me. She wasn't too thrilled with the idea initially, so she bartered with me. Deal ended up being I get her a $140 inflatable Craigslist special yak and tow her around the harbor in exchange for a set of eyes in self-rescue. So, in effect, I became the most expensive tug-boat yak out in the water for the weekend.

But it was all worth it. I rolled off my kayak, re-entered, flipped, re-entered, rinse and repeat. All in all, I didn't think it was so bad inside the harbor... I'm sure it's a different ballpark in swells. My go-to for righting the Outback usually consisted of me grabbing the pedal fins to hoist myself, then grabbing the side of the yak and rolling. I learned a LOT when re-entering. I know what gear gets in the way on the geartrack now, and will reposition accordingly. Once the clip/sheath on my PFD knife got caught in the Hobie chair, and that was a hassle getting un-hooked... but another lesson.

Overall, I think kayak fishing is AWESOME. I can't wait for the next weekend to get out there and past PP's jaws to hook up with some real fish.

Here's the opening scene of the Maiden Voyage for the Outback, and what we've now dubbed the lil-Outback (I just finished putting a Hobie decal on the inflatable before this post  :smt044).

sebast

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
2015 TI
2017 Outback

jp52

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2017
Glad you got out there and practiced self recovery and had some fun with your fiancee to boot. You may have tried this, but another way to flip the yak is to reach under and grab both handles and push it over by pulling with your far hand while pushing up with your close hand. For me that is easier than reaching over on wide kayaks.

KPD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
Nice work practicing self-rescue, and thanks for sharing.
Wanted to buy: Stealth ProFisha 575 or 525

li-orca

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2019
Thanks for sharing. I was curious about the knife snagging incident. Can you share more details? I had a post the other day on safety knives and I own the Atlantic Salt by Spyderco, which I think wouldn’t have any snagging issues. But just wondering.

Also, I highly recommend doing a surf session with your kayak. Go hit white water. See how it feels. Stay close to the shore and let the waves throw the kayak. Use straps for balance. I’ve done it and learned a lot. Can share more if you want. Did it at Linda Mar. Broke my Ram mount and lost my GoPro so no footage (dang!)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 05:50:16 PM by li-orca »
Luck favors the prepared

2019 Revo 16