Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 03, 2024, 03:25:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:16:05 PM]

[Today at 01:13:41 PM]

[Today at 01:11:45 PM]

[Today at 11:31:14 AM]

[Today at 10:38:02 AM]

[Today at 09:55:06 AM]

[Today at 09:13:54 AM]

[June 02, 2024, 07:53:47 PM]

[June 02, 2024, 01:03:50 PM]

[June 02, 2024, 12:53:57 PM]

[June 01, 2024, 09:21:54 PM]

[June 01, 2024, 07:00:43 PM]

[May 31, 2024, 10:52:30 PM]

[May 31, 2024, 03:48:11 PM]

[May 31, 2024, 07:09:01 AM]

[May 31, 2024, 05:23:24 AM]

[May 30, 2024, 11:20:36 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: First fishing kayak !! Any Recommendations?  (Read 3120 times)

HowlsOmega

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2020
Hi,

I have been researching kayaks for a bit now, my girlfriend would call it obsession, im calling it research. LOL.  I have it narrowed down to:

Hobie compass with MD180 turn fins for 2399.. leaning towards this one. I honestly dont see a reason to spend the extra for the Outback. I have seen quite a few posts about the new outback model taking in more water than the old version and even the compass. And to me I rather be more dry in these cold waters.
I have seen a couple videos of guys in hobie compass in rough waters handling marlins fighting them for 5 hours so im pretty sure it can handle want i want it to do.

Old Town Sportsman 120PDL . A couple upgraded things from the TOPWATER 120 PDL. From what i gather is super stable, the drive is great, although not as efficient as a mirage drive from what i gather... but Old Towns warranty and customer service is excellent.

Old Town bigwater 132 PDL... This one I cant seem to find that much Information on it. I feel like its to new and due to whats happening its also on backorder and it will be a while. But from what i gather is pretty much the predator in different color and a old town tackle box.

Vibe shearwater 125... looks great, mirage drive access is awesome. If i could buy the kayak with the drive it would be great and the just buy a md180 for it. But also its to new to see good reviews on it. All of them are in lakes or ponds, not what im going to use it for mainly,so i dont know how it handles off the bay of offshore.

Feelfree lure 11.5 v2 with an island hopper trolling motor... all this comes to about $2000. I mean the first time I saw that seat, i was like man, i want that . Lol... but i havent seen much reviews on the feelfree handling offshore fishing or the bay. So im curious about that one and how it handles....

I would definately consider an Outback 2019/20 if i find a great deal of course but for the price. I feel like is not offering that much more. I feel like all of them have drawbacks and positives... and im unsure the extra money will be worth it in the end. But this is my opinion, Im sure Outback owners dont regret it, thats why you dont see used outbacks for sale that often hehe.

Anyways im new so this is from a newbies perspective. I can only afford 1 good kayak so i wanna get it right nad get out and have fun.

This weekend i will be demoing the hobie compass and the topwater pdl.

Any opinions, thoughts, feedback , I would appreciate it.

DavidMel

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2018
Welcome to NCKA and it is an obsession  :smt001

Demoing will give you a really good idea vs. researching on the web and reading opinions/reveiws/marketing.

My advice is to go into the demo with an open mind and find the one that is best for you.  Do your best to filter out all of the noise and preconceptions that you have when you arrive.  If possible, take them both out on the water twice during the demo.  The second time through you will have a much better feel for each kayak.
David

Vibe Sea Ghost 110

" I believe in America."

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
My advice is to go into the demo with an open mind and find the one that is best for you.

+1
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

scottymeboy

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2013
There’s a lot of people who are more qualified than me  but I’m on my third one, the first two were paddle yaks then I got wise and bought a Hobie :smt004.
19 Outback for me and the fishing experience is so much more fun!
When you’re using ur legs to move , u can have ur line in the water more of the time= more fishing time= more fish🤞🏼
Don’t know much about the compass but I thing the 19 Outback
 is the BEST fishing platform currently out there!
 If you get the Compass I think you might wished you got an outback...?
All the little convenience’s are built in :smt007 Can I say Stable!!!!
but another $600 for an Outback and it might be the last one you buy. Or start  cautiously $$$, with a Craig’s List special and see if this sport/lifestyle is for you? You find yourself spending $$ on s”stuff”
You know how much you can spend on a bike?!  3k is worth it to me.
 Good Luck and tight lines!
Scotty
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 10:59:42 PM by scottymeboy »
2014 Crabfest - 1st Place -Rock Crab Division
2014 Fall Classic - 1st Place

2019 Hobie Outback
2014 RTM Abaco 420

HowlsOmega

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
I decided to go for the Old Town Sportsman PDL 120 :). My order has been made, and now I wait :D .

Ill see you guys out there soon!

DavidMel

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Awesome, now you can research how you are going to set it up.  Like you said its research and not an obsession  :smt003

What was it about your search that made the decision for you?  Did the demo make it obvious for you? 
David

Vibe Sea Ghost 110

" I believe in America."

HowlsOmega

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
It was stability and how long it is, I have a shed but more than 12 feet would be difficult to store. Also the fact that the boat can carry about 500lbs. Im about to take a Diving class So I was also considering a kayak that can carry that gear. The new sportsman has an upgraded seat from the Topwater pdl. with some extra padding.

The price point was good, I got it for 2100 shipped. So I dont have to go pick it up anywhere. I think its the best value for the money, Lifetime warranty on the hull, 5 years on the drive. And researching about warranty claims they seem to come thru with no hassle.

DavidMel

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Nice.  Hope it serves you well for many years to come
David

Vibe Sea Ghost 110

" I believe in America."

anything