Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 04:55:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 04:12:46 PM]

[Today at 04:06:31 PM]

[Today at 03:38:07 PM]

[Today at 03:35:58 PM]

[Today at 02:27:49 PM]

[Today at 10:16:35 AM]

[Today at 09:51:21 AM]

[Today at 08:16:44 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 09:18:31 PM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:44:23 PM]

[May 13, 2024, 05:08:57 PM]

[May 13, 2024, 02:26:27 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Had a burning metal party today  (Read 1194 times)

Mojo Jojo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
Had a Saturday shop get together with MattM and SamM (no relation).
Matt wanted a rack for his harbor freight trailer and Sam wanted to reinforce his trailer sides and add some top handles to the sides.
Was actually kinda fun for me directing both of them on the cutting and grinding while a was burning metal. At one point I was welding Matt's pieces together while Sam was grinding paint off the spots we were welding, then Matt was grinding welds smooth while I welded Sam's parts on. Had a good time even though we didn't fish..... talked about fishing though so that counts right?!?!?!?
Matt's rack is able to switch from one kayak centered to hauling two Hobies with the removable bar we made to extend out to the fender edges he's going to drill it and put 2 hitch pins in each bar at the tabs. . He can haul 3 boats if the deck is clear..... he just needs to convince his wife he needs another boat  ;)   Hope that don't get him slugged in the shoulder   :violent1:

I have a mechanic up the road that rents the floor for $20 for 1/2 day $40 for the day as long as he has 1 empty bay out of the 4. Bonus I get to leave my welder and fabrication gear there to save time loading and unloading.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 10:12:17 PM by Mojo Jojo »

2013 Jackson Big Tuna.........Ours
2011 Native Mariner Propel 12.5...His
2015 Native Slayer Propel 13.......Hers
20?? Emotion ,Sparky.....7 yr old grandson's
Event Coordinator
Heroes On the Water
North Oregon Coast Chapter
Team C.O.D. FISHING (Crazy Old Dudes)just for forum fun challenges

Mojo Jojo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Sam's mods

Event Coordinator
Heroes On the Water

SOMA

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
I would recommend that you not rely on the bolts holding the A frame to the trailer body.  On the return from Ocean Cove two weeks ago, we noticed that one of the welds holding the bracket for one of the bolts on my Harbor Freight trailer failed.  Made it home, removed the bed and discovered that another bracket weld had not failed, but had torn nearly free from the frame.  A third bracket had started to crack the frame.  Spent the morning plating the torn frame and welding the A frame directly to the frame.  Also added bolts as backup.  Since removing the ability to fold the trailer (never use that option) also welded all spots that allowed flex between the two halves of the trailer.   

ravensblack

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2007
I would recommend that you not rely on the bolts holding the A frame to the trailer body.  On the return from Ocean Cove two weeks ago, we noticed that one of the welds holding the bracket for one of the bolts on my Harbor Freight trailer failed.  Made it home, removed the bed and discovered that another bracket weld had not failed, but had torn nearly free from the frame.  A third bracket had started to crack the frame.  Spent the morning plating the torn frame and welding the A frame directly to the frame.  Also added bolts as backup.  Since removing the ability to fold the trailer (never use that option) also welded all spots that allowed flex between the two halves of the trailer.

That's why they are so cheap. They're junk. Nice fabrication Mojo
"I always entertain great hope" Robert Frost

Mojo Jojo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I always recommend welding bolt together trailers but guys gotta stay in there budget, I can actually produce that size trailer custom for about $700-$800 pending size and steel prices then add the rack to that

Event Coordinator
Heroes On the Water

anything