Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 08:19:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:00:27 PM]

[Today at 07:55:33 PM]

[Today at 07:14:49 PM]

[Today at 04:52:58 PM]

[Today at 02:50:42 PM]

[Today at 02:41:24 PM]

[Today at 02:30:38 PM]

[Today at 01:47:16 PM]

[Today at 07:45:25 AM]

by &
[June 05, 2024, 10:26:37 PM]

[June 05, 2024, 09:49:34 PM]

[June 05, 2024, 09:23:04 PM]

[June 05, 2024, 07:52:44 PM]

[June 05, 2024, 06:52:33 PM]

[June 05, 2024, 03:46:51 PM]

[June 04, 2024, 06:18:55 AM]

[June 04, 2024, 06:17:34 AM]

[June 03, 2024, 08:15:05 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 07:37:32 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 06:07:14 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 04:55:38 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 01:11:45 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Elk 2007 Scheduled  (Read 5733 times)

KZ

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Kunz's Reel Rods
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Be patient guys... we need to wait for Sean and Bill and others to work out the details and get it set in stone.  As was the case last year, I'm sure there will be plenty of communication once the details are ironed out and the time to register is near.

EK
2006 Elk Tourney Champion
2006 Angler of the Year 3rd Place

Kunz's Reel Rods
www.kzreelrods.com

Acts 10:13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.

Freddie

• Sea Lion
  • Shhhh... I'm sleeping.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2005
YES...!!! I'm so stoked about this trip. I look forward to only a couple of outings a year... Elk is one of them. I see everybody mentioning the RollEz for the yaks... I've only used my set once... and that was for Elk last year. The first year, I had the one with the smaller tires on it... made it down and up but it was a B going through the sand. Last year... no problem. I even helped Fuzz get his yak up the hill after I got mine up. And whether you are rushing to get up or just cruizing... that hill just sucks. I only hope that this time around, there will be more food left. Twice now, I got the short end of the dinner because I was goofing around ab diving. Note to Self: no more goofing around.

Bill/Sean- Let us know when we can register for this.

Thanks,

Freddie

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
The hill...part of the Elk badge of honor!

Bigfoot

• Sea Lion
  • moochariffic
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2005
Can't be any harder then loading up a couple hundred decoys and hauling them out in the Mud! Randall
Bigfoot
Randall Ray Nelums
Cell (510) 305 0471

Mahi

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
Can't be any harder then loading up a couple hundred decoys and hauling them out in the Mud! Randall

Just keep think that............. :smt001

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005

Uh..yea..It can!!!!
<=>

Bigfoot

• Sea Lion
  • moochariffic
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2005
Note to self, Lose forty pounds, spend 1 hour a day on stairmaster and use a hand line and innertube. R.
Bigfoot
Randall Ray Nelums
Cell (510) 305 0471

bsteves

• Fish Nerd; AOTY Architect
  • Sea Lion
  • Better Fishing through Science!
  • View Profile Northwest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
Here are some helpful tips on "doing the hill at Elk"....

1.) This one has already been mentioned... buy/borrow a roll-eze cart.  The last two years I've had to make due with the borrow option.  Thanks again Sean, Dustin and Chuck!  By the way, I'm convinced that Sean puts this tournament on every year so that he can sell more carts.  I know at least a few people who ordered them either right before or after elk last year.  If he's smart, he should bring a half dozen carts to sell on the spot.

2.) Take along some nice dry clothes and shoes with you in a dry bag in your kayak hatch.  When you land, take the time to get changed. Doing the hill in light comfy clothes is much easier than trying to do it in your heavy wet wetsuit and booties.

3.) If you think you have a potential winner of a fish and not much time until final weigh-in, leave your gear and kayak down on the beach with a buddy who doesn't have a contender.  Sure you'll have to walk the hill again (down and up), but believe me, having a winning fish makes that trip a breeze.  Just be sure to bring your buddy a beer for watching your stuff.

Brian
Elk I Champ
BAM II Champ

Fishtrap329

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Wow only 60 spots huh? I think a lot of people going to be left out in the cold. Is there anywhere to camp close by and still attend this event?
"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."

Mahi

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Wow only 60 spots huh? I think a lot of people going to be left out in the cold. Is there anywhere to camp close by and still attend this event?

The 60 spots (I believe) are only the camp sites. If you are not able to get a camp site in Elk, you can stay at local camp sites (State Parks or private campgrounds) and just drive the short distance to Elk to do the fish and potluck deal.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

CHEERS!

bsteves

• Fish Nerd; AOTY Architect
  • Sea Lion
  • Better Fishing through Science!
  • View Profile Northwest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
I'm not 100% sure, but I think last year the 60 spots was the total for non-Mendocino county entrants.   An unlimited number of Mendocino county residents were allowed to commute, although few actually did.   This was set up, I believe, as a compromise for the members of the local community.
Elk I Champ
BAM II Champ

ChuckE

• Global Moderator
  • View Profile
Here are some helpful tips on "doing the hill at Elk"....

1.) This one has already been mentioned... buy/borrow a roll-eze cart.  The last two years I've had to make due with the borrow option.  Thanks again Sean, Dustin and Chuck!  By the way, I'm convinced that Sean puts this tournament on every year so that he can sell more carts.  I know at least a few people who ordered them either right before or after elk last year.  If he's smart, he should bring a half dozen carts to sell on the spot.

2.) Take along some nice dry clothes and shoes with you in a dry bag in your kayak hatch.  When you land, take the time to get changed. Doing the hill in light comfy clothes is much easier than trying to do it in your heavy wet wetsuit and booties.

3.) If you think you have a potential winner of a fish and not much time until final weigh-in, leave your gear and kayak down on the beach with a buddy who doesn't have a contender.  Sure you'll have to walk the hill again (down and up), but believe me, having a winning fish makes that trip a breeze.  Just be sure to bring your buddy a beer for watching your stuff.

Brian
Brian.... you're always welcome to use my cart.

All of those tips are golden.... especially coming from a former Elk derby champ!
Winner - 2023 ARW Halibut Derby "King of the Wall"
Winner - 2018 ARW Halibut Handline Derby
Winner - 2013 Doran Beach Crabfest
2nd Place - 2012 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner (Biggest Rock Crab) - 2010 Half Moon Bay Crabfest
Winner - 2009 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner - 2009 Paradise Halibut Hunt
Winner - 2007 NCKA Angler of the Year
Winner "Grand Slam" - 2007 Bendo @ Mendo III
2nd Place - 2007 Monterey Bay Kayak Fishing Derby
Winner - 2004 Santa Cruz Kayak Fishing Derby

ChuckE

• Global Moderator
  • View Profile
Hey Sean.... can I bring my little sled dog to help me pull my yak up the hill?
She's trained to pull anything on wheels.  She'll even do it for you guys too for a scooby snack.  :smt005
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 03:51:22 PM by ChuckE »
Winner - 2023 ARW Halibut Derby "King of the Wall"
Winner - 2018 ARW Halibut Handline Derby
Winner - 2013 Doran Beach Crabfest
2nd Place - 2012 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner (Biggest Rock Crab) - 2010 Half Moon Bay Crabfest
Winner - 2009 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner - 2009 Paradise Halibut Hunt
Winner - 2007 NCKA Angler of the Year
Winner "Grand Slam" - 2007 Bendo @ Mendo III
2nd Place - 2007 Monterey Bay Kayak Fishing Derby
Winner - 2004 Santa Cruz Kayak Fishing Derby

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
ChuckE-Well your well-mannered pooch is welcome.

Its actually 50 non-county residents for the tourney.  Camping outside the area doesn't help.  We should have 60+ even with this rule...which isn't something I came up with, a condtion of the GCC.

There is no limit at Mendo, and there is no reason it shouldn't be HUGE!!

Mahi

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I personally can't wait for the Elk. I think I'm going to give up on building the spaceship in my backyard so I can afford to buy the town of Elk. This way I can practice "the hill" every day until it feels like it's only a half of a mile with a 25% grade. Or maybe I can hire a Sherpa to do "the hill" for me. Then again, the Sherpa would have to learn how to breath with all of the oxygen at sea level.

Once again, Cabernet and forums don't mix.

CHEERS!

anything