Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 05:40:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by &
[June 05, 2024, 10:26:37 PM]

[June 05, 2024, 10:11:43 PM]

[June 05, 2024, 09:52:16 PM]

[June 05, 2024, 09:49:34 PM]

[June 05, 2024, 09:23:04 PM]

[June 05, 2024, 08:17:10 PM]

[June 05, 2024, 07:52:44 PM]

[June 05, 2024, 06:52:33 PM]

[June 05, 2024, 06:09:17 PM]

[June 05, 2024, 03:46:51 PM]

[June 04, 2024, 05:23:39 PM]

[June 04, 2024, 08:58:58 AM]

[June 04, 2024, 06:18:55 AM]

[June 04, 2024, 06:17:34 AM]

[June 03, 2024, 08:15:05 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 07:37:32 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 06:07:14 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 04:55:38 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 01:11:45 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 11:31:14 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Vhf radio ??  (Read 2506 times)

Zach.Dennis

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
Hello all

I am in the market for a chef radio and had a quick question. I am wanting to get a radio for my wife back at the beach and am wondering if there is a cheaper radio that can be used from land to talk to vhf radios?

Thanks for your help!

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
I don't have any particular recommendations for you, but this is a totally standard arrangement.

I recommend letting her battery run dead and apologizing before heading out. It's just easier that way.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
I believe that it is not legal to use a marine radio on land. From this  FCC website

http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=operations&id=ship_stations#Using%20Hand-Held%20Marine%20VHF%20Radios%20on%20Land

There is the following: "You must have a special license, called a marine utility station license, to operate a hand-held marine radio from land..."
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

Grim Reefer

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2014
I could be wrong but my understanding is that it is illegal to broadcast over Marine channels while on land.

KPD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
For shore communication you could use a pair of waterproof FRS radios, which you are allowed to use on land. You would have to juggle the FRS and VHF, which would be a pain.

Otherwise I guess you could try using a smartphone in a waterproof case.

When I'm fishing I want to be immersed in the wonder of the ocean rather than talking to shore, so the system my wife and I have works as follows:
* I tell her where I'm going and when I expect to be back
* "Find friends" is enabled on my iPhone (stowed in the hull) so she can see where I am if she wants
* I carry a VHF with DSC+GPS, so all I have to do is push the red button and the Coast Guard knows exactly where I am and that I'm in trouble
* I have the VHF set up to scan both Ch. 16 (emergency and hailing) and 69 (kayaker chatter)
* She knows that she can call the Coast Guard if I'm long overdue and they could try hailing me
* I send a text as soon as I'm off the water

Wanted to buy: Stealth ProFisha 575 or 525

Str8FishiN

• DEPTH SQUAD
  • Sea Lion
  • #hobiefishing
  • View Profile Hobie Fishing
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
I better enjoy fishing while im still not married!  Standard Horizon radios are solid
"Success if living the life you love" -MOOCH

• Better lucky than good.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2013
I have this model's last generation equivalent and it works wonderful. It floats, light on the bottom if it drops in water so you can see it, waterproof (obv) and built very solid. I am very pleased with this one. Not to mention the interface on the front is very used friendly. I would highly recommend this one.
Horizons is no slouch either, they are really nicely made. So no matter what you decide you are going to get something that you are going to be happy with.
http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/marine/handhelds/m36/default.aspx
-Wet Behind The Ears-

Wilderness Systems Ride 135

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” - Mark Twain

"It’s not whether you get knocked down; It’s whether you get back up.” - Vince Lombardi

Duckguy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
Don't the tournament coordinators use the marine radios during the events? (LRC will be my first event, and I'm shopping radios as well.)
Warning! Retiree; Knows it all and has plenty of time to tell you about it.

Santa Cruz Kayaks Raptor G2

FishingForTheCure

• "I'm going to make dinner because my colors taste like hungry"
  • Manatee
  • LOWRANCE & SIMRAD PRO STAFF
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
Don't the tournament coordinators use the marine radios during the events? (LRC will be my first event, and I'm shopping radios as well.)
Maybe but I'm sure they have received the proper authority/license to do so  :smt002

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I wonder who you would have to piss off, and how pissed off they would have to become, in order to get a citation for transmitting from shore on a marine VHF boat to boat frequency.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

FishingForTheCure

• "I'm going to make dinner because my colors taste like hungry"
  • Manatee
  • LOWRANCE & SIMRAD PRO STAFF
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
I wonder who you would have to piss off, and how pissed off they would have to become, in order to get a citation for transmitting from shore on a marine VHF boat to boat frequency.
True

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
My guess is saying that the sheriff is coming to tow your vehicle would be one way to do it, but figuring out who is making the shore call on the other hand..

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
My guess is saying that the sheriff is coming to tow your vehicle would be one way to do it, but figuring out who is making the shore call on the other hand..

And yet no citation was issued.  But someone's wife at the campground calling out on 69 to talk to her fisherman husband should be worried about a $5,000 fine?

People use radios from shore all the time.  Especially in shelter cove with limited to no cell service, but in other places too.  I have never heard of anyone getting a citation for it. 

Although if anyone ever deserved a serious asskicking citation, it was that guy.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005

"I am in the market for a chef radio "

You mean it only broadcasts the cooking channel?

seriously-
No one is ever going to hassle you for talking to your spouse vhf while she is on land. As long as you keep it short on a little-used channel.

Bushy

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Consider getting a unit with a solid reputation, but also consider how important it is to have redundancy.  I've heard several of the most experienced kayak fishermen in this club say "my VHF battery died", and they were offshore that day...  Why not have backup?

I use these little Cobras and they work great.

You can't beat this price.

Best of luck.

PS - I have 4 VHF's.
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.