Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 07:51:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:40:44 AM]

[Today at 04:38:42 AM]

[June 15, 2024, 09:39:01 PM]

[June 15, 2024, 09:23:53 PM]

[June 15, 2024, 06:08:25 PM]

[June 15, 2024, 02:48:55 PM]

[June 15, 2024, 10:52:35 AM]

[June 14, 2024, 10:19:56 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 10:13:46 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 10:08:16 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 09:44:38 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 09:17:03 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 08:56:33 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 08:15:22 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 08:00:20 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 04:30:19 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 04:13:28 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 02:04:11 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 01:44:26 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 01:12:23 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 12:22:14 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 09:55:04 AM]

[June 14, 2024, 09:19:03 AM]

[June 14, 2024, 06:14:40 AM]

[June 13, 2024, 09:28:36 PM]

[June 13, 2024, 07:29:48 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Moss Landing Kayak Salmon Success!!!!!!  (Read 3753 times)

Potato_River

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Fished Moss Landing, Sunday, 4.17.05 with Joel.  Kevin was a NO SHOW!!

We left early, but not early enough.  Halfway to the fleet, trollers were reporting good success in the AM darkness.  By the time we got the fleet (trolling along the way), things slowed down.  Very few nets flying.  Around 8, things started to pick up a little bit with a fish here and there.  Tired from the paddle, we decided to mooch.

At 85 feet, I felt the tap, tap, tap.  Fed line and fed some more.  Finally, locked the reel and waited for it to load up.  The fight was on and I netted this 9lber.  Right after that, the wind picked up so, we paddled in.  The conditions got ugly, but luckily, we fished north side of the canyon and rode both the NW swell and wind back in.  It was a hairy ride to say the least and with both of us having some close calls, going sideways in the white caps and water over the rail.  Joel can elaborate more on the ride.

Here’s a pict of todays fish (thanks for taking the photo's and the moral support Joel):

Stuart

KZ

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Kunz's Reel Rods
Atta Boy Stuart!!! Well done.  Now you have us all drooling and chomping at the bit!  Glad to hear you all got back safely.

Erik
2006 Elk Tourney Champion
2006 Angler of the Year 3rd Place

Kunz's Reel Rods
www.kzreelrods.com

Acts 10:13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.

Dave

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Pretty fish Stuart.  Nice Job!!

Here's the 'incidental' catch I had with Joel at Moss on Saturday.  

Much better conditions Saturday, but no salmon love.  Both Joel and I had salmon strikes; both farmed it.

Flounder tasted good, but not as sweet as your salmon will!!

Question: can Joel catch salmon only at Linda Mar??

-- Dave

ConejoMan

Great job!!!   You are making me want to get up there sooner rather than later!!  Nice pitucres.

Aloha,
Mike :smt004

jnthn

Good job guys.  I arrived late and got out to the fleet just before the wind picked up.  Had one on but lost it.  My Avet SX has a lever drag and this was my first time using it so I had it set a bit too tight - POP! and the fish was gone.  If anyone else tries soon the fish are about 1.5-2 miles out.  GPS numbers were 48,50, or there abouts.

Jonathan

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Stuart you are the MAN!  Nice job boys...gotta go next time.

ChuckE

• Global Moderator
  • View Profile
Stu.... I'm totally not surprised to hear that you're the first amongst us to score salmon this season.   :worship

Dave, that's one fat starry flounder :smt023 .  I heard you caught that one far from the bottom.

I'm glad to hear everyone had a fun and safe weekend.... while I was stuck at home doing yard work  :smt012
Winner - 2023 ARW Halibut Derby "King of the Wall"
Winner - 2018 ARW Halibut Handline Derby
Winner - 2013 Doran Beach Crabfest
2nd Place - 2012 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner (Biggest Rock Crab) - 2010 Half Moon Bay Crabfest
Winner - 2009 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner - 2009 Paradise Halibut Hunt
Winner - 2007 NCKA Angler of the Year
Winner "Grand Slam" - 2007 Bendo @ Mendo III
2nd Place - 2007 Monterey Bay Kayak Fishing Derby
Winner - 2004 Santa Cruz Kayak Fishing Derby

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
  • View Profile WM Bayou Lures
Woohooo guys that is awesome! Sorry I could not join you, I had a hell week at work and needed to catch a break Saturday then yard work Sunday  :smt013

Next weekend I am a go if the weather looks good.

granitedive

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
First of the year. Yahoo! Let's get 'em!
"It's the ocean flowing in our veins"

Potato_River

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Dave,
That's a nice flounder!!!

Today, everything was crapping out.  The VHF and the GPS both started to go.  Our last coordinates before I shut down were at 36.49.720/121.51.040.  Not sure the distance, but I'd guess around 3  miles out.

90%+ of the PB's were trollers.  Only saw a few dedicated moochers today.

Jonathon,
Sorry we missed you and really bummed to hear that it broke off.  There's always next time.

Stuart

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
great going stuart, i had to stay to close to home or i would have join you guys, goin to s.d. today going to get me a yellowtail :smt003 . well anywaygot up to go and check the current weather at the time and look out side the wind was allready here :smt010  went back to sleep. see you guys neek weekend for some action. chef
live life to the fullest!!!!

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
Stuart does it again! (no surprise there)  :smt023 As I was watching him fight his fish, a boater trolled right next to us and snagged my mooching set-up   :smt076 My reel started smoking and I had to cut my line  :smt011 As Stuart was battling the beast, I kept hearing VHF chatter from the other boats that the sudden change of weather conditions were bringing the fish up - good news but bad for us. I also heard that the smaller skiffs were heading back because of the swells. As soon as Stuart pulled his fish up, I suggested the we should head back. (I wanted to stay but the risk was not worth it) We started our paddle back and it was getting worse as we got into the mouth of the harbor. Boats were flying in and one heeeuge whale watching boat was on it's way out as we were coming in. We kept paddling and all of a sudden, we both get picked up by the swells and our yaks SLAM into each other - HARD!   :smt107 Stuart notices the fear in my face as he talks to me to calm me down - at this point I just wanted to shove my paddle down his throat  :smt021  - but I didn't cause he's my buddy and he only meant well  :smt002 . THe situation made Linda Mar (on a bad day)look like "a walk in the park". I saw Stu get picked up by a another big swell as he rode it with the "OH SHIT" look in his face  :smt118. After that, he yelled to me "THAT WAS NOT COOL AT ALL!!!" Only one word could describe the situation = "THE PERFECT STORM"  :smt119 I got totally swamped twice and almost flipped over. The swells were coming from all directions. I watched with horror as the water in my deck did not drain fast enough and I could not paddle and manuever the yak safely - it was too top heavy. A couple minutes later, my deck clears and another rouge wave goes over my deck and floods me again. I look at Stuart and I gave him the "Tell my mom I love her look" as I thought I was going to flip for sure. As luck would have it - the water drained through the scupper hole much faster this time and I paddled past the harbor mouth and got into safe water. As Stu and I successfully escape the "washing -machine-horror" , 3 sit-in kayakers were on their way out. The last guy paddling out tipped over. Stu and I paddle to him to make sure he was safe, as his other buddy was holding on to his yak and trying to drain the water out. The leader of the group was way ahead of the crew, so I blew my whistle to get his attention so he could help his buddies out. He came back in and helped out with the rescue. I still don't understand WHY they were paddling out in those conditions  :smt017

WHAT A DAY  :smt010  - I looked at it as another day of "education" in rough water conditions. Both of our prowlers handled the conditions and took us home safe and sound.  

Stuart, what can I say....you rarely get to go out and  fish...but when you do get the chance, you just make a killing. You da man!  :worship  :worship  :worship  :worship

Question: can Joel catch salmon only at Linda Mar??

I hope not :smt002

Dave - had fun fishing with you - too bad we missed our fish. But at least you got the flounder!

As for next weekend : I'LL BE BACK  :smt066

ConejoMan

That just plain scares me :jawdrop

guest Brian G

I used to fish if fishing was possible, but my own couple of experiences like that have made me a fair weather fisherman. When I had first gotten my kayak I told it out in storm just to taste the rough water. I can take the rough water if I am moving forward, but once you stop its all over. Those following waves are a real sob coming in and out of the harbor eh? I did that bare hull, I couldn't imagine it with all the gear I carry fishing.

One time in my 12ft klamath I took a wake wave from a big cruiser head on and plowed the bow straight the wave at 15mph. Its hurt like heal and flooded the boat but it was better than getting flipped.

The woman is leaving a trip to DC in a couple of weeks and I will be out to decimate the salmon population real soon.

-Brian

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
I couldn't imagine it with all the gear I carry fishing

Brian - like I said, it was another lesson learned in the classroom. I will definitley cut back on my gear on board next time - less weight on board the yak is the safer way to go - especially when you paddle 2-3 miles out (one way) to do some fishing. Stu and I were also trolling from spot to spot.

I was telling Stu that my yak was feeling "heavier" than normal when were in the safe zone. I actually thought that my yak took in some water through my hatch when we were taking on the swells - As soon as we landed, I opened my hatch and it was dry in there. :smt017  I guess I was finally experiencing the fatigue from paddling (and trolling) for two days. Need to hit the gym more often......the last time I was in the gym was when Star Wars first came out in the movies......episode 4  :smt003

while I was stuck at home doing yard work

Saturday then yard work Sunday  

TO Bill and Chuck: my advise to you = next time, buy a house without a yard  :smt003

and I will be out to decimate the salmon population real soon.

Brian - call me about next week :smt023