Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 09:18:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:33:23 PM]

[Today at 07:55:33 PM]

[Today at 07:14:49 PM]

[Today at 04:52:58 PM]

[Today at 02:50:42 PM]

[Today at 02:41:24 PM]

[Today at 02:30:38 PM]

[Today at 01:47:16 PM]

[Today at 07:45:25 AM]

by &
[June 05, 2024, 10:26:37 PM]

[June 05, 2024, 09:49:34 PM]

[June 05, 2024, 09:23:04 PM]

[June 05, 2024, 07:52:44 PM]

[June 05, 2024, 06:52:33 PM]

[June 05, 2024, 03:46:51 PM]

[June 04, 2024, 06:18:55 AM]

[June 04, 2024, 06:17:34 AM]

[June 03, 2024, 08:15:05 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 07:37:32 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 06:07:14 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 04:55:38 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Members Only Forums  (Read 2668 times)

hightide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
I know we have "members only" fishing report but would a "members only hookup" section be appropriate too? 
ALLAN

2020 Hobie Revo 13
OK T15
Owned 2015 Hobie AI
Owned Scupper Pro TW

Live, Love, Launch!

SeaWeed

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2008
how are to to grow if there is a members only forum. It works both ways.
SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!

Rock Hopper

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Global Moderator
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2005
I know we have "members only" fishing report but would a "members only hookup" section be appropriate too?

I agree. And make it at least twenty posts to view members only sections.

Ahhhh, never mind. I think I'll just keep my hookups in the form of PM like I have been lately.

In Loving Memory of Mooch, Eelmaster, Shicken, and Cabeza De Martillo

I started kayak fishing to get away from most of you...

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
I split this topic off from the Thoughts on forum features, updates, modifications.  It bears its own discussion.

-Allen

The X Inn Keeper

• Life is Good!
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
I'm split on this,
I think their should be a higher count of posts to become a "Member"and see certian posts, but also think the Hookups should be public. If you only want to fish with certian anglers than you could make it "Invite Only".
Hobie Outback (dune)

Jeffo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Maybe our entire system of becoming a member is not effective. Instead of just being required to post 10 times, maybe you should have to post 10 actual fishing reports- with pictures. Not just "I went to the ocean and caught a Lingcod." Just food for thought here. But let's ponder the questions, "what makes a person a member who is able to see private threads?" Should posting 10 replies to threads or asking 10 questions grant you access? Or should it be that you have to participate in more specific ways to have access? Or instead of specifics, should it just be a raise in number of total posts?
Currently, if you want to fish with whoever, then post it up. If you want to fish with people you know are capable, send PM's. I'm hesitant to post in the hookups section when I fish for certain species because fishing for certain species are more risky than others. If I invited just anyone by posting in hookups, people might show up who i don't know their level of skill or how much safety gear they have and I would feel responsible if anything went wrong. So I send PM's to people I know can handle, or I think are ready for, the mission.
As far I can remember (running on 2hrs sleep) there are only two boards that are "members" boards. It's not that exclusionary. Fishing Reports and Politics. Non members still get reports and the rest of the board.
Thank you Allen and mods for wanting to make this site even more awesome by consulting it's members for ideas for improvements.
Oversize Sturgeon Club
Weekday Warrior

polepole

• Administrator
Maybe our entire system of becoming a member is not effective. Instead of just being required to post 10 times, maybe you should have to post 10 actual fishing reports- with pictures. Not just "I went to the ocean and caught a Lingcod." Just food for thought here. But let's ponder the questions, "what makes a person a member who is able to see private threads?" Should posting 10 replies to threads or asking 10 questions grant you access? Or should it be that you have to participate in more specific ways to have access? Or instead of specifics, should it just be a raise in number of total posts?

Just so you know, making the requirements anything other than post count is too prohibitive to track and enforce.  We likely wouldn't go down that path.  So the only real lever we have here is to adjust post counts.

Currently, if you want to fish with whoever, then post it up. If you want to fish with people you know are capable, send PM's. I'm hesitant to post in the hookups section when I fish for certain species because fishing for certain species are more risky than others. If I invited just anyone by posting in hookups, people might show up who i don't know their level of skill or how much safety gear they have and I would feel responsible if anything went wrong. So I send PM's to people I know can handle, or I think are ready for, the mission.
As far I can remember (running on 2hrs sleep) there are only two boards that are "members" boards. It's not that exclusionary. Fishing Reports and Politics. Non members still get reports and the rest of the board.

We have public and private reports sections.  One option is to have a public and private hookups sections.  That being said, the mods have had some internal discussion in the past to go the other direction and get rid of the public reports section altogether and just make everything private.

Thank you Allen and mods for wanting to make this site even more awesome by consulting it's members for ideas for improvements.

You're welcome!

-Allen

hightide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
My thinking on my post is to be able to "give and take".  Anyone benefiting from a hookup or report should at the least be a part in enhancing ncka.  We don't want to have "eat and run" folks... :smt003
ALLAN

2020 Hobie Revo 13
OK T15
Owned 2015 Hobie AI
Owned Scupper Pro TW

Live, Love, Launch!

Weimarian

• Sea Lion
  • The fish, I hear them! work can wait! let's go!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Eat and run :smt044 not after one of our potlucks :smt044 :smt044 :smt044 the hookups are the portal to new folks to enjoy something with a "guide" to show the ropes. They feel more comfortable doing something new if someone there has gone before. That is how I got into the mess I'm in now :smt005 Maybe a posting in hookups could include a prep/difficulty/experiance rating... 1 easy, anyone... 10 OMG you gotta be hard core and able to radio the coast gaurd and probably will die a little :smt004
Come on out! It's time to play. It's time for TROUT Bass and STRIPER. Let go of the hand brake!

KayakJames

• Sea Lion
  • Yes it is good
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2006
Not many people post hookups anymore anyway. I bet reports outweigh hookups by a lot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk because I'm one of the cool kids.
Where did he go george

Mr.Matt

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2005
Not many people post hookups anymore anyway. I bet reports outweigh hookups by a lot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk because I'm one of the cool kids.

Check your pms.... Sent you one about coming up to do some steelhead fishing....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Matt

polepole

• Administrator

It sure doesn't seem that way to me.

16 people posted hookups in the past week.
18 people posted private reports in the past week.
5 people posted public reports in the past week.

-Allen

Fishgr

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
Seems to me that NCKA does a pretty good job of self policing the trolls.  The main draw for me was the open and inviting nature of the group.  There are well formed groups of buddies and inside jokes and themes within NCKA.  The interwebs should remain a place of public consumption and sharing.  Cant really see a need to privatize without some sort of subscription model where you pay to play.   If you truly want a private playground, well the internet isnt really that good for it.

Sharing is caring.

$0.02,... Minimum posting and be done with it.  10 seems to few, 25 seems about right,...but then again, i love this NCKA thing,...so make 100 for all I care.
Hobie Outback 2021
OK T13

polepole

• Administrator
I wanted to throw something out there, as this is how we do it on NWKA.

Why not have Hookups and Reports in the same board (and you can still keep public and private)?  This way you get to see the hookup, planning, execution, and results all in one thread.

-Allen