Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 08, 2024, 08:51:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by Clb
[Today at 08:15:55 AM]

[Today at 07:43:15 AM]

[Today at 03:33:45 AM]

[June 07, 2024, 11:18:58 PM]

[June 07, 2024, 09:47:26 PM]

[June 07, 2024, 03:27:08 PM]

[June 07, 2024, 09:58:25 AM]

[June 06, 2024, 07:55:33 PM]

[June 06, 2024, 07:14:49 PM]

[June 06, 2024, 04:52:58 PM]

[June 06, 2024, 02:50:42 PM]

[June 06, 2024, 02:30:38 PM]

[June 06, 2024, 01:47:16 PM]

[June 06, 2024, 07:45:25 AM]

by &
[June 05, 2024, 10:26:37 PM]

[June 05, 2024, 09:49:34 PM]

[June 05, 2024, 09:23:04 PM]

[June 05, 2024, 07:52:44 PM]

[June 05, 2024, 06:52:33 PM]

[June 05, 2024, 03:46:51 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: The trouble with two rods or more  (Read 2687 times)

dreamcatcher

• Salmon
  • fish catch eat repeat
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2009
You can have as many rods as you want as long as you only use one at a time ,which is what I was doing.Sometimes i use one rod  for live bait. Then  put it in the holder and use the other rod to fish using the fresh bait.Using one rod at a time is perfectly legal for rockfish. I understand the regulations regarding multiple hooks(2). Maybe I wasn't clear, correct me if I am wrong. If you were fishing on the bottm with a diamond jig and a school of olives or blues went by wouldn't you reel that  one up and use a cod jig or something similar if you wanted to get a limit faster? What's wrong with that? It works for me and i have NEVER been cited by DF&G or even questioned about the method. It's like getting fresh squid and then using them to fish for WSB. With WSB you can use as many rods as you can handle.
Respond to life as if it is the first day of your life and the last day of your life.

alien

• Sea Lion
  • WSB/MBK 10/01/09 56"--/46 pounds
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
I've hooked my share of Pelicans while flylining for the WSB.  And since there are a protected species I'm very carefull when i have to remove a hook from its bill or anypart of its body. I found out that if i grab the beak and then cover the Pelicans head and eyes with a rag the pelican calms down and doesn't struggle as much and it is easier to handle and remove the hook. As far as using two rods...I'll fish with two in tell i have a fish in the box then go with the one rod.

Mienboy

• there's two sides to every story
  • Sea Lion
  • America, if you don't love it leave it
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
You can have as many rods as you want as long as you only use one at a time ,which is what I was doing.Sometimes i use one rod  for live bait. Then  put it in the holder and use the other rod to fish using the fresh bait.Using one rod at a time is perfectly legal for rockfish. I understand the regulations regarding multiple hooks(2). Maybe I wasn't clear, correct me if I am wrong. If you were fishing on the bottm with a diamond jig and a school of olives or blues went by wouldn't you reel that  one up and use a cod jig or something similar if you wanted to get a limit faster? What's wrong with that? It works for me and i have NEVER been cited by DF&G or even questioned about the method. It's like getting fresh squid and then using them to fish for WSB. With WSB you can use as many rods as you can handle.
you tell em :smt003
My biggest worry is that my wife(when I'm dead)will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it

Sea Shark

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2011
Damn. Glad your OK. It make me think about going out alone. I can just about grant if I got where it might cost me more then I was willing to pay the birds gonna die. I'll get the rest sorted out later. Very glad you didn't have to make that call.
Just add Ocean
1982 NCL Sharkbait

Meat Hunter

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
Thanks for the clarification. So the other rod wasn't being fished is what you are saying. All of us assumers clearly blew it on that one.  :smt044 :smt044
327# L - 93# RF

rockfish

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
it did read as it he was using 2 rods for the purposes of having 2 diferent rigs, that way there is no changing rigs when conditions change.  theus using 2 rods...I use up to 5 rods, depending on conditions, but only one line is in the water at a time ("using activly, per DFG regulations" unless I am fishing a place where 2 rods are legal...

and
DAMN DUDE, That sucks, Hope you are OK

Jim
Less Mental than before, Still savage AF tho <3

IG: she_savagly_gardens

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Thanks for the clarification. So the other rod wasn't being fished is what you are saying. All of us assumers clearly blew it on that one.  :smt044 :smt044

Yep, I'll admit to reading it wrong.
With so many folks getting into the activity we sometimes go "watchdog" too quickly.
We appreciate the clarification Dreamcatcher-the world is reading & it is good to get the correct info out there & keep our image looking good.
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
As soon as I started reading this, I had flashbacks to these super-aggressive seagulls in Carmel on Sunday...catching my live squid mid-cast and then almost taking live squid right out of my hand!
You did the right thing by removing teh hook & releasing the bird safely. As much as I'd hate to admit, I probably wouldn't have been so patient w/a hook in my hand...and would've just cut the line.

Just to repeat for anyone who is unsure of the regs: You can only keep RCG fish that are caught while using 1 rod. If you're fishing w/2 rods, then you must release any RCG fish you catch.
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

dreamcatcher

• Salmon
  • fish catch eat repeat
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2009
Wow ! This started out as a "Safety First" I am sorry for the spin it got. Always do the right thing and be a proud member of NCKA.That's how we represent our love for the sport. :smt007
Respond to life as if it is the first day of your life and the last day of your life.

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
I keep a knife on my PFD.  I think I might have used it. 

No, not to gut the pelican, to cut the line!! 

BANJOTAD

• North Valley Slayers
  • Sea Lion
  • Hobie Revolution
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
I hate pelicans. Hooked one of them but could not remove the hook quick enough because I was getting to close to the breakers.  I was able to cut enough of the line though and he flew away with a hook in its wing and about ft of line. 

Rey

I was down in Oceanside last week, and while walking along the beach I saw a pelican flying south with about 30 feet of mono trailing behind it, no sh!t.
 maybe he got more of your line than you  think Rey :smt044

Tad
 :smt006

LilRiverMan

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
Reminds me of the scene where the GWS is trying to take the backpedaling seagull on the surface. Entangled, desperately flapping & spashing Pelican = here Sharky Sharky  :smt002
Winner, 2012 Fisherman's Warehouse, Tiki Lagoon - Stripers.

Proud paddler - Pay it Forward Paddle 2010 / 2011 / 2012 / 2013 / 2014 / 2015 / 2016 / 2017 / 2018

In the game of biggest fish, if you can't enjoy routinely gettin' your ass handed to you, by great fishermen, then you don't belong in the NCKA.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau