Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 06:30:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 04:38:42 AM]

[June 15, 2024, 11:48:03 PM]

[June 15, 2024, 09:39:01 PM]

[June 15, 2024, 09:23:53 PM]

[June 15, 2024, 06:08:25 PM]

[June 15, 2024, 02:48:55 PM]

[June 15, 2024, 10:52:35 AM]

[June 14, 2024, 10:19:56 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 10:13:46 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 10:08:16 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 09:44:38 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 09:17:03 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 08:56:33 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 08:15:22 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 08:00:20 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 04:30:19 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 04:13:28 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 02:04:11 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 01:44:26 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 01:12:23 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 12:22:14 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 09:55:04 AM]

[June 14, 2024, 09:19:03 AM]

[June 14, 2024, 06:14:40 AM]

[June 13, 2024, 09:28:36 PM]

[June 13, 2024, 07:29:48 PM]

[June 13, 2024, 09:31:23 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: What could replace west coast stripers?  (Read 4584 times)

Furbait

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008
Saltwater striped bass appear to have become a low management priority in CA. One reason seems to be a bias against "non-native" species. My question is, if saltwater striped bass were not present on the west coast, what "native" species would occupy the biological niche that stripers currently occupy?

Northern Boy

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile my name is phil and i'm addicted to fishing
  • Date Registered: Mar 2007
If this year is anything to go by, I'd suggest the halibut is already sitting in the stripers favorite armchair, drinking his beer and eating his anchovies.

bsteves

• Fish Nerd; AOTY Architect
  • Better Fishing through Science!
  • View Profile Northwest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
Not every niche needs to be filled.  Sometimes the reason a non-native species does well in it's new location is that there was nothing in it's niche to compete with.

That said, let's look at what a striped bass is... it's a large predatory fish that has an anadromous lifestyle (migrates between fresh and salt water).  I can think of at least one other large native andadromous predatory fish that isn't doing so well right now in California.  It's debatable whether striped bass and salmon actually compete in the same niche, but there certainly is documented predation by striped bass on salmon.  

In my opinion striped bass belong on the East Coast and if they had to be stocked on the West Coast they should have been limited to man-made fresh water reservoirs like Lake Mendocino.

Northern Boy's suggestion of halibut is potentially a good one.  They're both predators that live in the near shore/bay waters and the fact that many bay fishing charters fish for both at the same time is a good indicator that there is much overlap in their diets.  However striped bass can tolerate much lower salinities and migrate upriver quite aways to spawn so I think the salmon analogy is still better.

Brian
Elk I Champ
BAM II Champ

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Steelhead, salmon, sturgeon...  basically any species that shares habitat with them.
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

Northern Boy

• Sea Lion
I knew Salmon would come up straight away, but the guy said saltwater!

bsteves

The saltwater striped bass are the same striped bass as the delta striped bass, they are anadromous (i.e. they migrate between the two). 

Elk I Champ
BAM II Champ

Northern Boy

• Sea Lion

The saltwater striped bass are the same striped bass as the delta striped bass, they are anadromous (i.e. they migrate between the two). 

I know, what I meant was halibut are more likely to occupy the same saltwater niche as stripers, they live in the same saltwater places and eat the same salty things. Apart from those rare occasions where salmon schools come in close to the shore, they don't usually mix in the same saltwater habitat as stripers.

Furbait

• Sardine
  • View Profile
Thanks for the responses! Now, if halibut are becoming more common because of the decline in the striper population, could one expect to see more halibut in the ocean surf at traditional striper spots like the San Francisco/San Mateo coast? Would it become more likely for salmon to come in close to shore? Or, could we just end up with more perch, sharks and rays along the main ocean beaches? What would be in the surf?

bsteves

Halibut are quite common in the surf in Southern California and striped bass are not.

However, just because one species might be in decline doesn't necessarily mean that another will come in, replace it, and do better.   There can be other extrinsic forces like ocean conditions that effect all the species together to such a degree as to shadow any change seen from the sort of release from competition we are talking about.
Elk I Champ
BAM II Champ

Furbait

• Sardine
  • View Profile
However, just because one species might be in decline doesn't necessarily mean that another will come in, replace it, and do better.   There can be other extrinsic forces like ocean conditions that effect all the species together to such a degree as to shadow any change seen from the sort of release from competition we are talking about.

It sounds like there's a real possibility that nothing would replace surf stripers! That would be unfortunate.

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
personally i like stripers than pretty much any other of those competing sportfish for catching.

Without the stripers, do we really think salmon fishing in the delta would improve significantly?  Without stripers, how worthy is the delta to fish?  Sturgeon are fine and all, but there are many out there who would prefer trolling and catching 15-30 stripers a day rather than 1 or 2 sturgeon.  Don't see too many days when you can hook up with that number of salmon either.

halibut?  fine and all, but I think stripers fight better pound for pound.

Northern Boy

• Sea Lion

It sounds like there's a real possibility that nothing would replace surf stripers! That would be unfortunate.

There are a few places on the bay area coast where halibut can be had from the beach, although The Shoreline Mafia will be paying me a visit if I start writing a list.

I think bsteves has the right idea tho; the delta is still teeming with stripers apparently so why are they not at the beaches any more? May have nothing to do with stripers, more the lack of food due to the allegedly crappy ocean conditions (same thing some people blame for the salmon). If this is true then when the food returns maybe the halibut boomers AND the stripers will be chasing them into the breakers. Would be nice!

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Not every niche needs to be filled.  Sometimes the reason a non-native species does well in it's new location is that there was nothing in it's niche to compete with.

In my opinion striped bass belong on the East Coast and if they had to be stocked on the West Coast they should have been limited to man-made fresh water reservoirs like Lake Mendocino.

Why are you so against filling a niche? They've been here for over a hundred years and coexisted with salmon just fine until recently. I attribute that to the human factor not environmental.   Having an extra gamefish spreads out the fishing pressure and gives anglers extra opportunities during the fall and winter months.  Not to mention it is (or was) one of the most exciting styles of fishing we have up here on the north coast.  I'd be willing to bet that you've never been in on the mayhem of a wide open bite drifting the rockpile, worked the suicide drift at alcatraz, played bumper boats at the south tower, sat on the stern of a 60 foot boat as it backs its @ss into the breakers, rockhopped pescadero or threw plugs and spoons on the beach.  If you had I'm sure you'd be singing a different tune I'm sure.

I know you wear the scientist hat before the fishing hat but ecological purity is long gone brother.  Striped bass are a species that can be co-managed with the natives just fine.  We just need to do a better job at not f%^&*$g it up.

P.S. if we start kicking non-native fish out of the state we should do the same for non-native people....... :smt003

edit

PPS if I can't have stripers I want white sea bass!

..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker

SteveS doesn't kayak anymore

• grumpy ex-kayaker
  • Sea Lion
  • winter sturgeon
  • View Profile
Plus if the stripers really do disappear, then the halibut will get SLAYED-- much like this year, with the high fuel costs, and early bad weather for rockfish-- lots and lots of boats stayed in teh bay and are basically decimating the hallie population. I know its debatable today, but check back on this thread this time next year, and the year after and see what the season was like...

Rock Hopper

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Global Moderator
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2005
Plus if the stripers really do disappear, then the halibut will get SLAYED-- much like this year, with the high fuel costs, and early bad weather for rockfish-- lots and lots of boats stayed in teh bay and are basically decimating the hallie population. I know its debatable today, but check back on this thread this time next year, and the year after and see what the season was like...

Agreed!

In Loving Memory of Mooch, Eelmaster, Shicken, and Cabeza De Martillo

I started kayak fishing to get away from most of you...

anything