Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 06:01:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 04:38:42 AM]

[June 15, 2024, 11:48:03 PM]

[June 15, 2024, 09:39:01 PM]

[June 15, 2024, 09:23:53 PM]

[June 15, 2024, 06:08:25 PM]

[June 15, 2024, 02:48:55 PM]

[June 15, 2024, 10:52:35 AM]

[June 14, 2024, 10:19:56 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 10:13:46 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 10:08:16 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 09:44:38 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 09:17:03 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 08:56:33 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 08:15:22 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 08:00:20 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 04:30:19 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 04:13:28 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 02:04:11 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 01:44:26 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 01:12:23 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 12:22:14 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 09:55:04 AM]

[June 14, 2024, 09:19:03 AM]

[June 14, 2024, 06:14:40 AM]

[June 13, 2024, 09:28:36 PM]

[June 13, 2024, 07:29:48 PM]

[June 13, 2024, 09:31:23 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Hope your sitting down  (Read 4891 times)

Danglin

• Sea Lion
  • Accept Yourself, So Shall The World ...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
Got my Won today and it had a Article about " Fishermen " ( and I use that term loosely )

On The American River,

" Lining with Beads " to catch salmon, an then Release... :smt009

Where is the On site Hanging team when ya need them???

Anyway, it also directed readers to this youtube video...

Be Warned,,, It's absolutely sickening..... :puker: :pukel:

« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 08:50:25 PM by Danglin »
There are 3 Types of people in the world,,,

The Sheep, The Sheep Dog & The Wolf,

Which are You ,,,

2006 NCKA Shark Fishing Tournament Champion    
2nd Moutcha Bay, BC. 2006 "Tyee" Surfing Contest
ELK 07  1st Place Loser
HMB 09 3rd Place
HMB 09 Sardine Champion
2009-2016 Northern California HOW Coordinator

Love Baja…  :smt055

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Flossing has been going on in a few places for too long...how its not snagging befuddles me, but one of the reasons I avoid the klamath and the feather.

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Stuff like that will cause the American River to be closed to all fishing.
<=>

bluefin17

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2005
Flossing is what people do at the mouth of the Klamath. No ifs, ands or buts about it!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 07:40:18 PM by bluefin17 »

mickfish

• Global Moderator
  • Fish & Chill
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
I quit fishing the Mad cause it made me sick Flossing for Steelies. DF&G should shorten the max leader to 18" maybe 24" for Fly Rods on all Coastal Streams.
Group IQ is inversely proportional to the size of the group.

A Steelhead always knows where he is going, but a Man seldom does.

Abdiver

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2007
From the looks of the background that video was taken from the wall at Nimbus Dam on the north side. I don't agree snagging a fish period is right let alone in the tail or any other place and I don't agree that having a 6 foot of leader is right either. There is a lot of snagging going on with longer leaders especially at the Feather river line up or at Hazel.

On another note I personally don't think that there is much difference between either using a lure "spoons" or your typical 24"-30" leader with beads to catch a salmon in the mouth.The whole idea behind using either of these methods is to agitate the salmon enough that it strikes at the object in front of it.(hence "fishing") The reasoning behind it is that once a salmon leaves the ocean and comes up the rivers to spawn they stop eating,the only legal way to catch them is to agitate them to the point that they strike at a hook, this either being with a lure or with leader and beads. Just my 2 cents!   
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 10:46:57 PM by Abdiver »
Ocean Kayak Pro Staff
Johnson Outdoors

piski

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Not being aware of this "flossing" BS previously, I Googled it and found this article:
http://www.sacbee.com/101/story/1197426.html
Catch & Repeat

FishinJay

• Sunrise Prowler 15
  • Sea Lion
  • Indecision may, or may not, be my problem...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2006
The thing is DFG has known about this technique for years and they have done nothing about it. They could easily make an enforceable rule to stop this by limiting the leader length to 2 or 3 feet from the weight. They have no problem shutting down entire entire fishing seasons, so how hard can it be to simply make a leader length restriction? I get the feeling there is more behind this failure to act than we are aware of...  :smt013
Searching is half the fun: life is much more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party. -Jimmy Buffett

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
I personally don't think that there is much difference between either using a lure "spoons" or your typical 24"-30" leader with beads to catch a salmon in the mouth....the only legal way to catch them is to agitate them to the point that they strike at a hook

Snagging is ugly, as is taking advantage of fish that are stacked up with nowhere to go.

I gotta offer a correction on this statement though, Abdiver.  I've caught quite a few salmon on the river - almost always on a Little Cleo (spoon).  You do reel in slow in hopes that you get the lure right in the fish's face, but the theory that they just strike out due to agitation is wrong.  I've seen salmon come up out of the depths and strike my lure when I was hauling it across the top of the water.  It is true that they have no reason to eat in the river, but it's also true that they will, at times, continue to display predatory behavior and seek out your lure.

My 29 cents!   :smt002
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

Blue Jeans

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
When hooked a lot of the ripe fish will either milk or drop their eggs during the fight.  :smt013

-Brian G

mickfish

• Global Moderator
  • Fish & Chill
  • View Profile
The thing is DFG has known about this technique for years and they have done nothing about it. They could easily make an enforceable rule to stop this by limiting the leader length to 2 or 3 feet from the weight. They have no problem shutting down entire entire fishing seasons, so how hard can it be to simply make a leader length restriction? I get the feeling there is more behind this failure to act than we are aware of...  :smt013

Snaggers would just find another way, if they really want to protect the Salmon they would just close the rivers during the peak runs.
Maybe they figure that flossing is not as bad as Old School Snagging with treble hooks and heavy weights.
Many River Fishers feel that jigging for Salmon is just another form of snagging.
The attitude by many on the American is that the fish in the basin are fair game because they are just going to die and not spawn anyway.   

Salmon caught above Tidewater are not the best tablefare and many are caught just for the roe or the smoker.

Abdiver

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2007

I gotta offer a correction on this statement though, Abdiver....but the theory that they just strike out due to agitation is wrong

How so... typically isn't it that a female will dig and defend her nest. While doing so doesn't the dominate male  aggressively strike and chase away other males who are attempting to enter the redd area before spawing? Or in your case an object such as your Little Cleo.

I've seen salmon come up out of the depths and strike my lure when I was hauling it across the top of the water.  It is true that they have no reason to eat in the river, but it's also true that they will, at times, continue to display predatory behavior and seek out your lure.
My 29 cents!   :smt002

:scratch:  Over the years I  have encountered such aggressive behavior while diving in the American in late September during the salmon run. I have had numerous Salmon aggressively charge with one lucky SOB ultimately smacking into my face mask.... Predatory.... does this mean that they were trying to eat me?
 :shark

29 and raise you 2   :beer2
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 11:28:59 PM by Abdiver »
Ocean Kayak Pro Staff
Johnson Outdoors

mickfish

• Global Moderator
  • Fish & Chill
  • View Profile
How so... typically isn't it that a female will dig and defend her nest. While doing so doesn't the dominate male  aggressively strike and chase away other males who are attempting to enter the redd area before spawing? Or in your case an object such as your Little Cleo.

They can exhibit both behaviors but I think Erik is saying that even though they don't really eat sometimes the instinct to react to a baitfish (lure) is still there. Eriks not the kind of guy to be fishing on the redds.

ab10

• Salmon
  • View Profile www.abachar.com
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
I have also heard that the salmon, in hanging on the redds will move stuff with their mouths, such as debris floating downstream.  Hence sometimes the soft bite, and not necessarily and aggression but maintenance.

When I was a grom and would go fishing on the Eel with my dad,  (He did most of the fishing, I just hunted for toads), they would use whole anchovies.  Lots of big fish were caught. 

Dan V

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006
Not going to address snagging or flossing as we all know what is ethical and legal . I personally yhink DFG screwed up big time not just closing down the season completely , whoever heard of C&R for and endangered/protected species . Just plain ignorant in my opinion !