Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:36:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:57:41 AM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:47:21 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:34:08 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:12:36 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 07:11:09 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Ft Bragg Area Shore Rockfishing???  (Read 22781 times)

propfishn

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
My wife and I along with my oldest son and his wife are headed to Ft Bragg this weekend camping fri/sat/sun. The boy and I are taking along our fishing outfits. Was wondering if there are any decent rockfishing spots north or south of Ft Bragg for shore fishing?? We are not taking Kayaks this time out. Could be 20 miles either direction from Ft Bragg,no biggie there. Thanks.

Dale L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
Take a look at Russian Gulch State park, walk out past the blowhole out onto the point then keep going north, there's a nice looking cove (actually the whole point looks good as well).  My son and I used to pull cabs out of there.  Also if you're yakless, take a walk down the old haul road, you can get on it from Mackerricher State Park or there another access to it at the north end of town (which is south of the park).  The section between the town and the park is most interesting, but it goes far north of the park as well, great bike riding road, no cars allowed.

have fun, this is where I used to take my family each summer, kids are now 24 and 30, doing their own thing,,,,

dale

propfishn

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Dale, thanks for the tips, this is the first time in many yrs we will have stayed at Mackericher park, we camped regular there too when my two boys were small, now they are 33,34 yrs old, oldest lives local and loves to fish so I got a good fishing partner. Other boy is in North Carolina.   

mendohead

• Sea Lion
  • 27.3 Lb 39" Santa Cruz, Ca. Butt on "Old Blue"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Hi Profishn:

You may book a guided trip  at VanDamm from Craig at 707-964-7480
worst case. I used MetalFalke Scampi and caught Lings and RF on them
at the Noth Point Kelp Beds. Lineup with Glass house and Little River Can 1. Watch  out for the Sneaker Swells.
                                                                            Good Luck
                                                                            Ernie
http://kayakmendocino.com/
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 01:34:10 PM by mendohead »
FW 2009 RF Derby King Davenport, Ca.

DaveW

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2006
Here's some I know other than what's been stated(from south to north):
1.  Point Arena at the old Stornetta Ranch on the road out to the lighthouse.  Walk out to sealion cove.
2.  Elk:  Follow the trail down from the Catholic cemetery
3.  Buckhorn cove near Van Damme.  There's a trail off the highway about 1 mile south of Van damme
4.  Spring Ranch:  Between Van Damme and mendo there's a trail down through the old Spring Ranch to the incredible tide pools.  Very Nice!
5.  All of the Town of Mendo headlands depending on which way the wind is blowing.
6.  South Caspar Point:  There's State Park Property out there
7.  Ocean Drive:  There a public access trail out there to a nice cove.
8.  Todd point:  South side of the noyo harbor entrance.
9.  Kebesillah Point :  North of Fort Bragg about 10 miles, just before Westport.  There's a number of trails down to some great tide pool areas.

Rock Hopper

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Global Moderator
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2005
And don't forget the jetty at Noyo Harbor!

When I was there a few years back I was only fishing for perch, but I had a wide open striped perch bite ALL DAY LONG! Awesome fish to catch on a trout pole and light line. You can also throw swimbaits there for lings and RF. While I was there a fella (who didn't seem to know much about fishing) landed and released four keeper lings. I think he was using frozen chovies on a hi/lo if I remember correctly.

I posted a report on pierfishing.com. See link.

http://www.pierfishing.com/msgboard/pfmb_archives.mv?SearchDatabase=0&viewid=242812

In Loving Memory of Mooch, Eelmaster, Shicken, and Cabeza De Martillo

I started kayak fishing to get away from most of you...

propfishn

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Thanks for all the info, more than enough spots to pick from, jetty at Noyo does look very tempting, might have to try that, have not fished Noyo for maybe 20 yrs, never know what you will catch there.

anything