Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 02:34:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 02:30:38 PM]

[Today at 02:28:46 PM]

[Today at 02:13:29 PM]

[Today at 01:52:15 PM]

[Today at 01:47:16 PM]

[Today at 07:45:25 AM]

by &
[June 05, 2024, 10:26:37 PM]

[June 05, 2024, 09:52:16 PM]

[June 05, 2024, 09:49:34 PM]

[June 05, 2024, 09:23:04 PM]

[June 05, 2024, 07:52:44 PM]

[June 05, 2024, 06:52:33 PM]

[June 05, 2024, 06:09:17 PM]

[June 05, 2024, 03:46:51 PM]

[June 04, 2024, 08:58:58 AM]

[June 04, 2024, 06:18:55 AM]

[June 04, 2024, 06:17:34 AM]

[June 03, 2024, 08:15:05 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 07:37:32 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 06:07:14 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 04:55:38 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 01:11:45 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 11:31:14 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Best place to buy a drysuit  (Read 793 times)

ark

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
Looking to get a good drysuit. I was looking at the Odyssey GoreTex suit by Kokatat but the price tag makes my jaw drop. Didn't want to spend more than 1200 maybe.
Any recommendations on a place to try on a drysuit and where I can get some of my questions answered?

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
It seems to me that the Odyssey is overkill unless you want to be like Mr. X. Kokatat has several other models that would be within your price range. 

I don’t know where you can try them on, but that doesn’t seem critically important to me. As for getting questions answered, I’d think that right here would be the best place for that.
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

Mark L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
Outdoorplay has sales on drysuits fairly often. This is the one I have been using for about 6 years: https://www.outdoorplay.com/products/kokatat-supernova-angler-gore-tex-pro-dry-suit
2018 Eddyline Yellow Caribbean 14 Angler

ark

• Salmon
  • View Profile
It seems to me that the Odyssey is overkill unless you want to be like Mr. X. Kokatat has several other models that would be within your price range. 

I don’t know where you can try them on, but that doesn’t seem critically important to me. As for getting questions answered, I’d think that right here would be the best place for that.

I mentioned the Odyssey since I was looking for something durable.
I guess my questions were based on sizes that would fit me. I'm between a M and L and I had questions around how many layers I could wear underneath or what kind of base layers to get based on a specific kind of drysuit.
For ocean kayaking, is it okay to have a semi dry suit with say neoprene gaskets as opposed to latex and not be worried about water intrusion when immersed? For comfort around the neck, is neoprene more comfortable than latex?

ark

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Outdoorplay has sales on drysuits fairly often. This is the one I have been using for about 6 years: https://www.outdoorplay.com/products/kokatat-supernova-angler-gore-tex-pro-dry-suit

That looks like a good deal. A question. Is it advised to get a size up (M -> L), if wearing layers underneath?

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
Thats the same I have. Kokatat now has Goretex Pro which is suppose to be heavier duty as to regular Goretex. I sent my old 6.5 yr old Goretex angler suit for a warranty claim. Kokatat approved it and sent me their brand new latest suit.
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
I mentioned the Odyssey since I was looking for something durable.
I guess my questions were based on sizes that would fit me. I'm between a M and L and I had questions around how many layers I could wear underneath or what kind of base layers to get based on a specific kind of drysuit.
For ocean kayaking, is it okay to have a semi dry suit with say neoprene gaskets as opposed to latex and not be worried about water intrusion when immersed? For comfort around the neck, is neoprene more comfortable than latex?

Kokatat has sizing instructions, and those have worked well for me. They are pretty baggy, so I can’t imagine that wearing layers underneath would ever be an issue, but I’m skinny so you might want to see what others think about that. My opinion is that for kayaking, semi-dry (neoprene neck gasket) is the way to go unless you are doing something extremely extreme.

I actually have a semi-dry and drysuit (don’t tell my wife), but have not had a chance to test the drysuit (rubber neck gasket) for real yet. Just trying it on, I can tell it’s going to be less comfortable though.

If you want to stop by my place, you’re welcome to try on both my semi-dry and drysuit! They would not be the right size, but you would be able to compare the relative comfort.

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Neoprene neck for comfort.  Not much water seeps in if you tumble.  Between medium and large?  I'm 5'8 180.  I'm in a medium and my layers are thin but multiplied when cold.  I started with a large and it was too baggy for my stylish needs.  It does not get frigid here.  Trick is keeping your feet warm.  Sometimes 2 pairs of wool socks and waterproof socks on top of those.  Make sure your footwear does not constrict your feet.  My suit is the pro angler something gore tex... :smt006
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

tedski

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2015
A dry suit is a 3-layer system.  So, you want to wear at least 2 layers... a wicking layer close to your skin (silk or synthetic) and then a warming layer on top of that (wool or synthetic fleece).  The thickness of those layers depends on material and expected air and water temps.  On warmer days, I'm wearing thinner base layers.. the minimum necessary for the water temp.  On colder days, I'm layered up more for the air temp than the water temp.  That said, if I were in between, I'd go with the larger size.  You can squat and let excess air out of the neck seal and the dry suit can be near form fitting even if large.

For ocean kayaking, is it okay to have a semi dry suit with say neoprene gaskets as opposed to latex and not be worried about water intrusion when immersed?
For comfort around the neck, is neoprene more comfortable than latex?
Latex gaskets are true watertight seals.  No water gets past a properly fitted latex seal against smooth skin.  Therefore, a latex neck seal can get quite annoying after a few hours.  Neoprene seals are not watertight.  Water will get past them.  It becomes a personal decision.  I've done the 8 hours a day with a latex neck seal and I'm over it.  My Kokatat semi-dry suit has latex wrist seals and a neoprene neck seal.  I know that when I go over, that first dunk is going to involve some water intrusion.  I'm okay with it.  Latex wrist seals would be a must for me since you'll be treading water while you are catching your breath.
Hobie Passport 12
Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 13
Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

li-orca

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2019
+1 to what everyone said.
Good gear is expensive.
My advice is buy once, cry once
Luck favors the prepared

2019 Revo 16

ark

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Thanks all for the valuable info. Looks like I'll be buying one of the suits soon in time for the season.

tedski

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2015
One more thing to add.  I used to wear a Gore-tex dry suit and thought I wouldn't be happy with the more affordable Hydrus fabric from Kokatat, but then the Supernova Angler in Hydrus went on sale at REI and I picked one up.  I have zero complaints.  It breathes just as well as the Gore-tex did as far as real world perceivable experience.  I haven't had it for long, so we'll see how it does longevity wise, but Gore-tex ones sure don't last forever anyway.  I wouldn't shy away from buying another Hydrus and couldn't justify upgrading to Gore-tex.
Hobie Passport 12
Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 13
Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
Through the years I've owned 2 Hydrus suits and 2 Goretex suits. Goretex is a lot more breathable. I base this on how much I sweat portaging gear for surf launches. But then there is the extra cost factor.  Do I think its worth it. I say Yes. I am dry and comfortable. It lasts years and Kokatat has a great warranty policy.  Just take care of it.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 03:03:12 PM by FishingAddict »
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
Make sure your footwear does not constrict your feet.

The (semi)drysuit booties seem easy to damage, so I always wear neoprene socks over the top of them before putting on my footwear. It also helps some with keeping my feet warm in cold weather...

https://www.rei.com/product/114955/nrs-sandal-socks

matanaska

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Lost Coast Kayak Fishing Adventures
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
Ebay has the best deals.  I bought a Navy Seals Kokatat drysuit for $450 and it has lasted several seasons now with lots of use and abuse from bloody salmon and halibut slime in my lap.  Matt Mayes found a screaming deal on a Mustang drysuit for $150.
https://www.facebook.com/lostcoastkayakfishing

1st Place 2015 Trinidad Rockfish Wars V
1st Place 2014 CCKA AOTY
1st Place 2011 Trinidad Rockfish Wars I
2nd place 2012 Trinidad Rockfish Wars II
3rd Place Albion Open 2013
4th Place AOTY 2013
7th Place 2012 GS6
2013 Hobie Worlds USA Team member

2015 Hobie Outback
2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #420 of 500

anything