Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 03:19:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 19, 2024, 11:14:42 PM]

[May 19, 2024, 10:48:03 PM]

[May 19, 2024, 10:38:11 PM]

[May 19, 2024, 09:22:16 PM]

[May 19, 2024, 10:21:04 AM]

by Clb
[May 19, 2024, 09:23:49 AM]

[May 19, 2024, 07:12:15 AM]

[May 18, 2024, 07:33:15 PM]

[May 18, 2024, 07:29:46 PM]

[May 18, 2024, 04:56:39 PM]

[May 18, 2024, 12:06:29 PM]

[May 18, 2024, 07:37:45 AM]

[May 17, 2024, 11:20:54 PM]

[May 17, 2024, 08:41:33 PM]

[May 17, 2024, 07:13:03 PM]

[May 17, 2024, 10:29:52 AM]

[May 17, 2024, 09:32:27 AM]

[May 17, 2024, 09:08:12 AM]

[May 17, 2024, 07:00:12 AM]

[May 17, 2024, 06:57:59 AM]

[May 16, 2024, 08:43:30 PM]

[May 16, 2024, 06:11:52 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Hand Pump s/b mandatory  (Read 6735 times)

CrawFish

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
I have to agree with ravensblack here. Poor hatch management is a killer.  Personally, I would only open a hatch to retrieve my spare paddle (or pump if conditions even allowed it).  Everything I need on the water is outside my hull. Only thing in the hull is spare paddle, wheels and pool noodles.( Maybe a pair of flip flops for the beach).
Course I am a rookie and have "worst-case-scenerio" disease.   :smt044
I have seen some guys replace the straps on their rod pod lids with bungies to make access easier which I was seriously thinking was a great idea but, after seeing how those "loose" hatches can take on water I bagged that idea.
One reason I pack light and take only what I feel are essentials.  On the lakes I can pack all my camping crap and open the hatches all the time but, ocean is too dicey, at least for me.

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
I am very pleased with the location of my bilge on my Revo.
I will post a pic tomorrow.
One question I have though, and not trying to sound like a smartass here, but why not pop the hatch open and do a T-rescue?
It seems the water would drain a heck of a lot faster with the hatch open.
Once a fair amout of water is out of the hull it would make it a lot easier for someone to get back on the kayak and pump it out.
<=>

krusty

• No stinkin'
  • Sea Lion
  • Is This Edible?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
One question I have though, and not trying to sound like a smartass here, but why not pop the hatch open and do a T-rescue?
It seems the water would drain a heck of a lot faster with the hatch open.
Once a fair amout of water is out of the hull it would make it a lot easier for someone to get back on the kayak and pump it out.

I thought T rescue is only possible if you have someone else to help you pull your flooded kayak onto their kayak? Not possible to do solo. Besides only the part of the flooded kayak that is out of the water above the level of the hatch would drain.

Tote

• Global Moderator
  • View Profile
I've T-rescued solo.
The guy I saved was pretty useless.........sorry............unable to help.
If you have someone who can put downward pressure on one end of the kayak making the other end easier to get up onto your kayak it helps a lot.
If you can get the flooded kayak high enough onto your kayak so the opening breaks the seal of the water it should drain.
<=>

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
The Seattle Sports hand pump has good reviews at Amazon, but pretty bad reviews at REI:
http://www.rei.com/product/684985/seattle-sports-bilge-pump-with-float
The complaint seems to be that a small amount of dirt/sand causes the thing to clog and it can't be cleaned out.

What brands do people here use and like?

Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

ScottThornley

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
My first thoughts were: Glad everyone was ok, and were even able to continue fishing.

Immediately after followed by this:

I've T-rescued solo.
The guy I saved was pretty useless.........sorry............unable to help.
If you have someone who can put downward pressure on one end of the kayak making the other end easier to get up onto your kayak it helps a lot.
If you can get the flooded kayak high enough onto your kayak so the opening breaks the seal of the water it should drain.

A T rescue takes less than a minute to drain a kayak, completely. Watch out for fish finders and rod holders though (yet another reason for a sparsely outfitted deck)

How long to pump out a hull? 10-15 minutes? If no additional water is entering the hatch you're using for pumping...

Scott

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
we got the water out pretty quickly--first through the Rod Pod then through the front hatch, after we got enough water out to push the nose down and pump more efficiently.

We did something similar to a T-rescue, without lifting the stern of the flooded yak out of the water. But maybe next time I'll give it a try and see if 30 gallons of water can drain out of a T13 bow hatch in 60 seconds. I'm always open to learning new tricks. 
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

Tote

• Global Moderator
  • View Profile
Take a 16 oz. glass and fill it with water. Put a straw in the glass and see how long it takes you to suck the water out using the straw.
Fill your sink with water. Sink that same glass so it is completely filled with water.
Turn the glass upside down and slowly lift. Watch how fast the water comes out of the glass once the water seal is broken. It happens instantly.
Same principle with a kayak.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 03:45:49 AM by Tote »
<=>

outback

• "The Experience Matters" TM
  • Sand Dab
  • View Profile Outback Adventures
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006
The Seattle Sports hand pump has good reviews at Amazon, but pretty bad reviews at REI:
http://www.rei.com/product/684985/seattle-sports-bilge-pump-with-float
The complaint seems to be that a small amount of dirt/sand causes the thing to clog and it can't be cleaned out.

What brands do people here use and like?

Our favorite pump is the Beckson Thirsty-Mate Kayak Pump with Float-A-Pump Sleeve and aluminum reinforced shaft #318P1/FPS3R. This is the most reliable pump we know of. We have used this pump for many years in our instructional classes, rentals, and tours and they hold up extremely well. Beckson even sells parts to rebuild the pump in the unlikely event you needed to. They are a company that specializes in building quality hand pumps and they are made in the USA! Check out http://www.beckson.com/ for more info.

The Beckson 318P1/FPS3R pump is more expensive than the cheaper NRS or Seattle Sports models, but they are worth it. At Outback Adventures we stock both the Beckson 318P1/FPS3R and NRS models. Please note that we only stock the Beckson model with the reinforced shaft and float, but there is another model on the market without the reinforced shaft. They look the same, but they do not perform the same. The reinforced shaft does not bend, then bind during use. There is also a version that does not come with the float. If you are not buying from us, make sure you know which version you are getting.

We think every kayaker should have a pump and because we want our NCKA friends to be safe out there, just mention this post within the next 60 days and get 20% off any pump model we stock.
Outback Adventures
Sales - Rentals - Classes - Tours - Repairs
Larkspur: 415-461-2222
Fremont: 510-440-8888
http://www.outbackadventures.com

Eric B

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Thanks for that!  I have two different brands and I'm not really happy with either.

And it just so happens your Fremont location is on my way home.   :smt008

I'm happy to pick more up for anyone else needing a GOOD pump, (and who among us doesn't?)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 03:58:59 PM by Eric B »

ReelKnots

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Sea Lion
  • Never leave FISH to find FISH.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Nice info Bro.  :smt006 I think it's time too use my REI Gift certificate that i got from my B-DAY.

Kiel
1st Place ARW Handline Tournament 2024
1st Place ARW King Of The Wall 2019
1st Place - Albion Open 2009
OK Trident 13 ( My Trophy )
495 Stealth Evolution
Hobie Revo 13

In Loving Memory of Joel " Mooch " Lotilla.

RHYAK

• Offshore fishing the Blue
  • Sea Lion
  • Picture, Catch and Release
  • View Profile Central Coast Kayak Fishing
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Interesting points guys. Remember if you don't have a pump buy one and also remember hook 1 they give a NCKA member discount.

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2012
Thanks, very helpful as I am currently figuring out which pump to buy and how to mount it. Was thinking of perm mount near pole holder but now I might want it removeable/portable for my buddy as well- thanks :smt006