Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 08:05:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:16:37 PM]

[Today at 06:25:48 PM]

[Today at 05:21:33 PM]

[Today at 05:21:23 PM]

[Today at 05:13:55 PM]

[Today at 03:41:52 PM]

[Today at 02:41:39 PM]

[Today at 11:16:20 AM]

[Today at 09:54:38 AM]

[Today at 09:10:22 AM]

[Today at 08:22:51 AM]

[Today at 07:15:26 AM]

[May 03, 2024, 09:53:25 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 03:08:35 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 02:48:07 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 09:34:21 AM]

[May 03, 2024, 08:13:57 AM]

[May 02, 2024, 09:13:28 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Wetsuit in Ocean - Northern CA  (Read 3977 times)

piski

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
I tend to be picky about my body temp: 3mil not enough for longterm safe immersion (for me) , and 7 mil too hot above water, so I went for a cheap 5 mil farmerjohn $99 then put in my own relief zipper (zipper and glue about $8). works great

dale

Dale, if you have a chance, can you post a photo of your relief zipper job? Um, I mean just on a hanger or something, not "in use"!
Catch & Repeat

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
I have no problem wearing a 7mm FJ, I just don't put on the shoulder straps so it stops at my waist.  The zipper is already unzipped so 'relief' isn't a problem.
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
Superior, they said, never gives up her dead
When the gales of November come early.

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
A relief zipper on a wetsuit is overrated. Now, a relief zipper on a dry suit or waders; that is valuable.

It's a freaking wetsuit, you're supposed to pee yourself. Heck, I have this pavlovs syndrome (from years of surfing+water skiing) that makes me feel like I have to pee as soon as the wetsuit is on. I call it the peter heater.
I have a 2-way zipper on my new FJ, but it is so hard to get up on my knees and whip it out on the ocean....that I don't even bother. Seriously, if you have enough fortitude to complete that maneuver, you probably have enough fortitude to just "hold it" until you return shore. Or, just do like I do, turn on the peter heater, splash some water on your lap, and continue catching fish. It's a three-step program.

Of course, I'm being somewhat sarcastic here. But also being truthful. I'm a fisherman. In the Pacific Ocean. Paddling around on a 14 foot piece of plastic. Considering these factors, there is no shame in utilizing the peter heater.
 :smt044 :smt044 :smt044 :smt005 :smt005 :smt005
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

Dale L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
Here's a post I did about putting my relief zipper in, maybe a little longwinded and micro-managed, but if anyone wants to give it a try....

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php/topic,13251.msg125286.html#msg125286

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
I have a 2-way zipper on my new FJ, but it is so hard to get up on my knees and whip it out

Its difficult cause you're doing it wrong.  A leg over each side,scoot forward, whip it out and piss in your footwell, pee leaves through the scupper. Super easy and far superior to soaking in your own piss.

Rock Hopper

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Global Moderator
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2005
Super easy and far superior to soaking in your own piss.

LOL. Agreed!

However, I usually just wear waders and "hold it".

In Loving Memory of Mooch, Eelmaster, Shicken, and Cabeza De Martillo

I started kayak fishing to get away from most of you...

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
There are some new items on the market that will make them all obsolete...I for one am LOVING them!!!  Shhhhh....

tallpaul

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2005
What's so difficult?  Just unzip and hold your peter over the side. No need to pee in your boat.
Always willing to join others in the Monterey/Santa Cruz/Half Moon Bay area for a bit of fishing...feel free to contact me.

bsteves

• Fish Nerd; AOTY Architect
  • Sea Lion
  • Better Fishing through Science!
  • View Profile Northwest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
There are some new items on the market that will make them all obsolete...I for one am LOVING them!!!  Shhhhh....
The secret is out  :)
http://www.stadiumpal.com/

Elk I Champ
BAM II Champ

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
 :smt011....just use a wide mouth (for those of us who are gifted :smt002) gatorade bottle.....stick "buddy" in there and piss away. Simple and cheap solution :smt045

Just remember that it's NOT gatorade anymore :smt003

swellrider

• Salmon
  • View Profile Humboats.com
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Damn you've all taken us into some weird territory, but it is useful :poti
HUMBOATS KAYAK ADVENTURES
www.humboats.com

CGN-38

• Del Valle Storm Trooper
  • Sea Lion
  • Survivor Del Valle FnC 09'
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
Back on track...  Realistically for summer time, would the 2mil FJ be enough?  I would think that for winter time (Cooler months) something a little thicker would be appropriate.  I'm all bout going cheap, and the 2 mil for $49.93 at rie-com outlet seems like a great price for summertime.  I can always get a 3 or 5 mil later for the cooler months or wear my 5mil chest waders.
  Although I guess the ocean water temp doesn't really change that much huh?  The 2mil may be OK for splash/spray, but for a good dunking?  Maybe if ya got out of the water quickly the 2 mil would be OK.  Don't know, never wore a wet suit.

Member/survivor STORM TROOPER Brigade

Salty.

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Water temp's can be close to or below 50 degrees year round. Dress for safety. Dress for success. Once dunked by beach launch, slip on ramp, windchop etc on an overcast day with a liitle wind it's hard to dry back out. A thicker suit will keep you fishing longer and in an emergency situation could save you. My standard is worst case scenario I loose/sink my yak and have to swim in one mile in 48 degree water. With a 4/3mm, booties, and pfd I think I might just make it.      Jim/redyak

anything