Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 05:16:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 03, 2024, 11:37:50 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 11:24:10 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 10:04:16 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 09:53:25 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 03:08:35 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 02:48:07 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 09:34:21 AM]

[May 03, 2024, 08:13:57 AM]

[May 02, 2024, 10:09:54 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 09:13:28 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 10:34:13 AM]

[May 02, 2024, 08:03:44 AM]

[May 01, 2024, 09:06:36 AM]

[April 30, 2024, 09:10:03 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 03:32:29 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 02:15:19 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 10:36:12 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: some questions about wetsuits (soon to buy first wetsuit need advice)  (Read 3080 times)

tracy d

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
so what type of wetsuit do i get i want a wetsuit that i can wear paddling and be comfortable (of course). I'm still new to all this and i read a good post that reealy convinced me that this is an important thing to have! esp. if all goes wrong, and im sure that doesnt happen often but I always want to be prepared to save my life.

but then also i have a friend that is starting to free dive spear fish and I think I might end up doing that a bit too.

so im wondering can i use the same suit, do I need something thicker for diving- to the point that I wont want to paddle all day down in big sur. Or do i need a lighter more comfortable suit for paddling, and a thicker suit for diving?

how thick is right?
chest zip or back zip?
is a hood necessary for diving?
gloves, booties?
is a surfing style suit flexible for paddling?

I've never owned a wetsuit,(worn a couple that didnt really fit right) so I know nothing about this subject.

any descriptions of your own experiences that may help my decisions would be greatly appreciated!
thanks,
         tracy

EWB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2008
3 mil farmer john with a relief zipper (like this one http://www.rei.com/product/786401). Most ppl feel the full arms on a surfing suit make it hot and uncomfortable. Make sure it fits and you are comfortable. You'll be in it all day long!

For diving I think (others that actually dive can confirm) you'll want a full suit with hood, booties, etc in 5 or 7 mil. I think most say 7 mil.
-Eric Berg

Salty.

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
+1 on the farmer john with relief zip for paddling.

For diving I use a high quality surfing 4/3ml suit, a separate 5ml hood, 5ml booties, and 3ml gloves.

This works for shorter, +or- one hour dives if it's cold, and much longer if it's warm.

You could use your 4/3ml fullsuit or 5ml dive farmer john for paddling and diving but it will be on the warm side while sitting on the yak and paddling will be harder. jim

pgangler

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
Only a few years of experience, but 3mm Farmer John for yakking, 7mm full wetsuit for diving in NorCal - with hood, boots, gloves.   The 3mm Farmer John tends to get too warm on nice days and long portages, but great for foggy or windy days.  Neoprene waders with a belt are a good alternative for yakking and easy to get on/off - but definitely not if you might roll away from shore.   
Ron

Otter

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
+3 on the farmer john 3mil suit. I started with a 4/3 excel surfing wetsuit and it was way to warm. On hot days I wear the farmer john at my waist and on cold days I layer up with a paddle jacket and or fleece on top.

I have dove twice for abalone with a 7 mm jacket and hood on top of the farmer john and it wasn't so bad. As far as actual scuba though I think you might want something warmer to maintain your comfort level.

-Eliot

tracy d

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
yeah im kinda liking the idea of the farmer john for yak missions I bet sleeves would get annoying on a long paddle. :smt013
Are the farmer johns still going to keep me from going into hypothermia in a worst case scenario?
I still like the idea though?
maybe I'll have to get a 2nd wetsuit for diving   :smt112    but the kayaking is more important right now i need to get all my neccesities ready for some serious fishin

Dan V

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006
Not to hijack , but can a relief zipper be added to a wet suit without one ? you might want to rent a 7mm suit and see if it is cool enough for you while diving , mine gets too warm and I quite often unzip half way to let the cold water in . Paddling with any thickness neoprene jacket will get too hot plus you will likely chaff yourself - will not be enjoyable . You will not get hypothermia for short time emersion in a farmer john as your torso is completely covered .

dilbeck

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
Not sure of the budget, but I'd say if you can afford it, skip the wetsuit for kayaking and go with the Kokatat Tempest pant and jacket.  I'm going this way soon!

Michael

Dale L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
Not to hijack , but can a relief zipper be added to a wet suit without one ? you might want to rent a 7mm suit and see if it is cool enough for you while diving , mine gets too warm and I quite often unzip half way to let the cold water in . Paddling with any thickness neoprene jacket will get too hot plus you will likely chaff yourself - will not be enjoyable . You will not get hypothermia for short time emersion in a farmer john as your torso is completely covered .

I've put relief zippers in a few wetsuits, I even posted a how to with pics, it's burried somewhere here on the site.  It can be tricky but it's definetly doable.

Found it:

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php/topic,13251.msg125286.html#msg125286
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 02:51:05 PM by Dale L »

ZiDD

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile ZiDD's Flickr Photos
  • Date Registered: Aug 2009
there is wetsuit custom shop in Santa Cruz. Its in Mission..forgot the place. But I'm sure they can add a zip relief to your wetsuit.

OH.....Labor Day sale at O'neil is coming up in Santa Cruz.

tracy d

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
believe me I love the idea of the "drysuit" approach, and I didnt really research pricing, but I have a feeling this is out of my budget.
that looks like a good company, and bookmarked the page for further investigation. And would like to hear your review when the day comes.  Make sure you have the proper layering system too!
 I dont know much about it, but my roommate who is ex-coast gaurd was explaining to me
      "that without the proper moisture wicking layer and insulation layer, in a drysuit- if you are stuck in the cold water your body sweats and the sweat stays on your skin then chills and you can still go hypothermic while dry."
 like I said I dont know much about that but what he told me, so be sure to research that side of it.
Thats too complicated for me.
besides if Im worried about staying dry and comfy. I'll go on a calm day and wear shorts.
 :smt002
without a wetsuit,
 so far
I do like to wear pants sometimes-I just wear some cheap rain slicker pants and neoprene socks if I want to keep some water off .
Ive always been anti waders in 'deeper than waist' water...
But as I was typing that last statement I had memories of boy scouts -swimming merit badge test- turning your pants into a floatation device by tying the ankles and filling with air, that would be easy with waders, no tying at all.
however you'd still be floating around in freezing balls water . And best case scenario your still showing up on land without your pants on.

Fish 'n Brew

• Sea Lion
  • Martin
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
I just got a new NRS 5 mil  Hydoroskin G2 titanium farmer John suit with padded knees and seat.  Unlike the old Body Glove suit I had before, this one is great.  It's easy to put on, has a relief zipper and provides just the right amount of protection from the elements.  The zipper is in the front and can be opened from the crotch or the neck.  I don't think it would be suitable for any kind of diving since it's designed for paddling but I'm really glad I chose the one I did.  I bought it on the web from someplace in Utah for $114.00 with no tax or shipping charge. It only took three days to arrive.  If your looking for a great suit, just for paddling, I'm really happy with this one.

Martin

redwoodfox

what you waer and what mill you wear depends on your location. here around humboldt, i don't hit the ocean in anything less then a full suit in 4 or 5 mill. in the bay or river fishing i'll wear a spring suit.

tracy d

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
thanks guys I bought the 3mil farmer john from NRS  used it once so far. very comfortable paddled a lot in it and pretty much forgot it was there. gave me a little more confidence as well Ill worry about a diving suit later,  my two friends who have recently taken up spearfishing have not got any fish so far so I havent been tempted as much. However my first time out with my wetsuit on i was confident enough to go to a spot I unsure about before and I caught a 19" Cabezon so I think the yakking wetsuit was a better puchase   :smt112

redwoodfox

just don't forget you can still get in trouble on the water even with a wet suit,its not armor.