Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 02:58:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 02:21:23 PM]

[Today at 01:18:25 PM]

[Today at 01:14:38 PM]

[Today at 10:19:44 AM]

[Today at 10:18:45 AM]

by Clb
[Today at 08:47:12 AM]

[Today at 08:16:45 AM]

[Today at 08:06:54 AM]

[Today at 07:51:28 AM]

[Today at 06:29:49 AM]

[Today at 04:58:26 AM]

[May 14, 2024, 10:06:14 PM]

[May 14, 2024, 03:38:07 PM]

[May 14, 2024, 03:35:58 PM]

[May 14, 2024, 10:16:35 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 05:08:57 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Halibut changes… permanent?  (Read 5628 times)

christianbrat

• "Top 3 Spot Burner" according to Nick Fish
  • Sea Lion
  • Christian
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2019
And for those of you who like to say, "Show us the data", two can play this game: Why don't you show us the data that supports the higher take? Until then, perhaps it would be wise to lean toward a conservative approach to this. After all, we are approaching the point of having nothing left to fish for.

Thats a fallacy. not only is it different to change the rules versus to maintain the long-standing rules, but it is an appeal to authority, and the authority here has no more insight than anyone else does without the data (by the way, the tens of years of empirical evidence we all have is in support of the long-standing 5 fish socal limit. look at where all these record CA hali are coming from; the socal fishery is alive and very well).  We could go on and talk about where the burden of proof falls too. 

impulsive reaction is never to be confused for an informed response, but as of recent in all facets of politics this is blatantly overlooked
« Last Edit: December 11, 2023, 09:05:46 AM by christianbrat »
Current Fleet
- 1989 Arima Sea Explorer w/ custom Pilot House
- 2018 Hobie Revolution 13

Historical Fleet
- 1985 Hobie PowerSkiff 15'
- 1975 Valco U-14
- 2009 Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT

SteveS doesn't kayak anymore

• grumpy ex-kayaker
  • Sea Lion
  • winter sturgeon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.'"

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005

two fish per day is plenty. Yearly qota is bad idea I think. Maybe reduce bag limits in the BAy but not open ocean. So many guys brailing the hot spots in bay, taking lots of fish that are barely legal.

Bushy

^ what he said. I'm on board.
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2018
Two fish is plenty....especially if your Todd W
A jerk at one end of the line waiting for a jerk at the other end.

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
Problem with more yearly limits is more bureaucracy. I am not interested in another report card for dfg. Ineffective and inefficient IMHO.

Bushy

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

DayTripper

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2014
Problem with more yearly limits is more bureaucracy. I am not interested in another report card for dfg. Ineffective and inefficient IMHO.

Bushy

How is it "ineffective" to create an annual limit? To me, that sounds supremely effective - much more effective, anyway, than a reduced daily bag limit. Most anglers do not catch a 3-fish limit each time they fish for halibut. So, a limit reduced to 2 fish will have a minor benefit to the population. DFW has estimated that such a change could reduce take by 13% (see below). That sounds insignificant to me, and ultimately reducing the bag limit from 3 to 2 will not be a very bold action. But I'm all for it anyway.

https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=212956&inline

Malibu_Two

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
look at where all these record CA hali are coming from; the socal fishery is alive and very well

Do you have data to back this up? Or just pictures on Facebook of big halibut?
Anyway, in SoCal, they have lots more species to target than we do up here, so I'm guessing the pressure on the halibut is much less.
May the fish be mighty and the seas be meek...

christianbrat

• Sea Lion
  • Christian
  • View Profile
look at where all these record CA hali are coming from; the socal fishery is alive and very well

Do you have data to back this up? Or just pictures on Facebook of big halibut?
Anyway, in SoCal, they have lots more species to target than we do up here, so I'm guessing the pressure on the halibut is much less.
if you read the part of my quote, just before you trimmed, you'll notice I mention "by the way, the tens of years of empirical evidence we all have is in support of the long-standing 5 fish socal limit."

Malibu two, respectfully, how could you get to page 3 of this thread and ask such a question? It is pretty clear there is no data being used to drive these decisions. At least no public data, and that is a red flag.

That said yeah i guess the fish sniffer report is the best data we have until the DFG Decides to publish some, but first they would need to implement a way to collect it lol.  might as well focus on commercial take since that's the only measured facet rn

Also socal may have some pelagics (which by the way, norcal and central cal now have), but we have hundreds of rockfish species they dont, salmon they dont, rivers and a huge delta region with steelhead and stripers that they dont.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2023, 04:28:06 PM by christianbrat »
Current Fleet

Historical Fleet
- 1975 Valco U-14

Malibu_Two

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
if you read the part of my quote, just before you trimmed, you'll notice I mention "by the way, the tens of years of empirical evidence we all have is in support of the long-standing 5 fish socal limit."

Malibu two, respectfully, how could you get to page 3 of this thread and ask such a question? It is pretty clear there is no data being used to drive these decisions. At least no public data, and that is a red flag.

That said yeah i guess the fish sniffer report is the best data we have until the DFG Decides to publish some, but first they would need to implement a way to collect it lol.  might as well focus on commercial take since that's the only measured facet rn

Also socal may have some pelagics (which by the way, norcal and central cal now have), but we have hundreds of rockfish species they dont, salmon they dont, rivers and a huge delta region with steelhead and stripers that they dont.

Well, it seems that you're setting a double standard; you feel some decisions can be made based on empirical evidence, mere observations, while others should require years of data gathering before any preventative measures are taken.

I'd bet that the five-fish limit wasn't created based on any data. It probably was an easy number to count, and it "felt" right.

Empirical evidence would indicate that the Tomales fishery is in serious decline; less and less fish being caught despite many people trying.

I saw a theory here on NCKA that the halibut were all gathered in the south bay this past summer due to the freshwater flush coming from the rivers in the north bay, so it just seemed like there were a lot of halibut, when in fact, they were possibly just concentrated in a small area. If that's the case, they would have taken a serious beating, and we'll see the impacts from that soon.

I hope I'm wrong, but why not take the cautious route, lower the bag limit, and then gather data to find out whether we can raise it again?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2023, 12:23:51 AM by Malibu_Two »
May the fish be mighty and the seas be meek...

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004

Bushy

How is it "ineffective" to create an annual limit? To me, that sounds supremely effective - much more effective, anyway, than a reduced daily bag limit. Most anglers do not catch a 3-fish limit each time they fish for halibut. So, a limit reduced to 2 fish will have a minor benefit to the population. DFW has estimated that such a change could reduce take by 13% (see below). That sounds insignificant to me, and ultimately reducing the bag limit from 3 to 2 will not be a very bold action. But I'm all for it anyway.

https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=212956&inline

Lots of handwaving in the last couple posts about lack of data.  Follow the data.  Seems to be a good chart of recreational catch in the above slides.  They also state that the last good recruitment year was 2019.  The water has been cold since.

-Allen

christianbrat

• Sea Lion
  • Christian
  • View Profile
It is all projection and guess without a report card or quota. There is no way for them to even know (especially this year) how many recreational guys are out each day and how many are taking limits. Especially with the species closures this year they have even less a clue what is going on. Nobody knows. there's an influx of commercial guys too, at least they have a clue on permits pulled.  :thumbdown

Malibu, I guess the question is then, without data, how small of a sample group's opinion/experience are you willing to accept as fact? your local tomales bay kayak buddies is enough to project regs across the state?   

All im saying is if a decision is being made, there needs to be some baseline or foundation or structure to the decision.  Right now we have a powerpoint that shows a single graph from one subset of the people fishing (Charter boats) with no data sources referenced.  I cant even look at the actual numbers because they're not referenced or included....  So, to say people are complaining about having no data, then providing the only single source of data which is done on a volunteer basis, irregularly, and without any rhyme or reason is not very helpful.. What makes it a good chart Pole? Is it the poor sample sample selection, or just cuz its pretty. fish counters go to like 1 dock for a day on a weekend.... lol

1) Collect real data, even if it require #s from all anglers, all the time. logging released fish and kept fish on a report card is not hard; make an app or something. The possession limit is daily limits anyway, so unless you're eating 1 halibut a week, you're not going to have more than like 20 keeper fish on your docket anyway.    If we are making decisions they should be informed, and until we can make informed decisions I don't think it is correct to make uninformed or poorly informed ones.    Of course this is just my opinion, but if other people's just as "poorly" informed opinion is all it takes to change regs, mines worth just as much.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2023, 10:37:28 AM by christianbrat »
Current Fleet

Historical Fleet
- 1975 Valco U-14

polepole

• Administrator
The scientific models are there.  It's more than a guess.  However, one real issue is that the last stock assessment done in 2020 resulted in the following, "The Panel does not consider the northern area base model for halibut to be adequate for use in management".

Read more here, https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=193537&inline

Note that the reasons are mostly modeling issues.  I don't see any issues raised with data gathering.

You all keep talking about lack of data, but do you even know what data exists?  I think that is a large part of the problem, it's difficult for the general public to find the data.  Ideally we have up-to-date stock assessments.  However, I can't even find the full 2020 stock assessment, perhaps because it wasn't "ratified", and the previous one was in 2011.

-Allen

christianbrat

• Sea Lion
  • Christian
  • View Profile
The scientific models are there.  It's more than a guess.  However, one real issue is that the last stock assessment done in 2020 resulted in the following, "The Panel does not consider the northern area base model for halibut to be adequate for use in management".

Read more here, https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=193537&inline

Note that the reasons are mostly modeling issues.  I don't see any issues raised with data gathering.

You all keep talking about lack of data, but do you even know what data exists?  I think that is a large part of the problem, it's difficult for the general public to find the data.  Ideally we have up-to-date stock assessments.  However, I can't even find the full 2020 stock assessment, perhaps because it wasn't "ratified", and the previous one was in 2011.

-Allen

for all intents and purposes, if the data exists but is so difficult to access / unable to be accessed / unfit for use, it may as well not exist at all. part of creating a valid test/model is that it should be repeatable.  nobody can repeat this because there's not a standard procedure
« Last Edit: December 18, 2023, 12:04:27 PM by christianbrat »
Current Fleet

Historical Fleet
- 1975 Valco U-14

polepole

• Administrator

-Allen

for all intents and purposes, if the data exists but is so difficult to access / unable to be accessed / unfit for use, it may as well not exist at all. part of creating a valid test/model is that it should be repeatable.  nobody can repeat this because there's not a standard procedure

It exists to those that need access to it to make the decisions they are charged with making.  I doubt we'd even know what to do with the data.  But we'd probably be arguing over it. lol

Perhaps we should start by asking that the 2020 stock assessment be released in it's current form.  And by lobbying for more regular updates ...

-Allen

polepole

• Administrator
Empirical evidence would indicate that the Tomales fishery is in serious decline; less and less fish being caught despite many people trying.

Ocean conditions haven't been good in the northern area for halibut to spawn.  There hasn't been a good recruitment year since 2019.  The halibut you catch in Tomales Bay are mostly post-spawn females.  No spawn = no post spawn females dropping into Tomales to recover.

-Allen

anything