Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 07, 2024, 04:56:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 03:57:36 AM]

[Today at 12:14:11 AM]

[June 06, 2024, 07:55:33 PM]

[June 06, 2024, 07:14:49 PM]

[June 06, 2024, 04:52:58 PM]

[June 06, 2024, 02:50:42 PM]

[June 06, 2024, 02:41:24 PM]

[June 06, 2024, 02:30:38 PM]

[June 06, 2024, 01:47:16 PM]

[June 06, 2024, 07:45:25 AM]

by &
[June 05, 2024, 10:26:37 PM]

[June 05, 2024, 09:49:34 PM]

[June 05, 2024, 09:23:04 PM]

[June 05, 2024, 07:52:44 PM]

[June 05, 2024, 06:52:33 PM]

[June 05, 2024, 03:46:51 PM]

[June 04, 2024, 06:18:55 AM]

[June 04, 2024, 06:17:34 AM]

[June 03, 2024, 08:15:05 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 07:37:32 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 06:07:14 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 04:55:38 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Kenai River Anglers Rescue Pair Of Capsized Kayakers  (Read 2037 times)

HOLY TOLEDO

• 2009 Angler of the Year
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
Wow. That was intense!
WE BROS

splashdown

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Just watched it and saw places I fished when the water is lower. Man the Kenai is running high.
"bull riding came about when some redneck stated, "hold my beer and watch this!"

Dallas HOW Chapter Coordinator

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Tats don't float.
<=>

JohnnyAb

• Sea Lion
  • FISH IN THE SEA,LIVE IN THE WOODS,WORK AT BEACH
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2016
Resucer says to Rescuee, "watch out for the fishing rods" :smt044

#Priorities
"Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking”     -J.C. Watts

“we are a community that is committed to each other, the health of our waters, and the sport we all love"
-Scurvy

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Now that's a river!  Raging but clear.
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

charles

• Salmon
  • turn em. pedals mtb or ocean
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
This looks like a re-enactment of a past event to me. Too much forced drama. I think this is between Coopers Landing and Skilak Lake.
Charles

IsaoK

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Just fish floated it for the first time last week, it was running super fast, really giving my flossing arms workout. Unfortunately there were several folks that took pretty unnecessary risks and wound up needing to be rescued. A few upsides were that in general, fisher folk seem able and willing to help, and I did not hear of anyone getting seriously injured while I was there.

Thanks for the share and the reminder to be safe out there.

Aloha,

Isao

Dale L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
This looks like a re-enactment of a past event to me. Too much forced drama. I think this is between Coopers Landing and Skilak Lake.

Everyone did seem overly calm/recovered pretty quickly, re-enactment or not I was surprised (not surprised) at the dress of the characters.

Malibu_Two

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
It definitely didn't feel like a reenactment to me. They were in serious shit. If it was a re-enactment, it was a re-enactment-gone-wrong and was a bona fide rescue at this point.

The guy with the camera definitely played the hero role, shouting orders, taking charge, but the GoPro camera isn't called the Hero for nothing. YouTubers constantly play up for the camera wether they realize it or not.

I hope lots of lessons were learned there.
May the fish be mighty and the seas be meek...

charles

• Salmon
  • View Profile
How many times did they go by the same section of river shooting it? Seemed like several to me. After all that time in the water, according to the time taken to shoot the footage , they are not blue, or shivering uncontrollably. Plenty of supple muscle strength left to get up on the raft pontoon. It's possible that I'm wrong but I see too many inconsistencies' in the "rescue".
Charles

Malibu_Two

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I just rewatched it and from 7 minutes on I didn't see any cuts. That's the entire chase and rescue, so I don't see how anything could have been faked unless they had some very sophisticated trickery at work. I also didn't recognize any repeat locations.

Anyone who knows anything about production knows that shooting scripted material on water and with animals is extremely difficult. No way would they say, "Hey let's shoot this dangerous sequence and have one person without a life jacket, and for no particular reason let's throw not one, but two dogs in the boat!"

They have conversations with lots of people on both sides of the river. Seems to me if they were staging it they would have everything occur on one side for the sake of simplicity.

When they reach the two, the guy was slipping under and it didn't appear to me that he had lots of strength left. And I thought I heard slurring in his speech. He had trouble saying "literally" twice.

I've seen quite a few scripted videos on Instagram and FB and it's usually quite obvious. This felt legit to me.

charles

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I also rewatched it and I think the camera panning gave me the impression of visiting the same spot twice. However, when the two were standing on the bank in a slow current spot with their kayak and the float boat said they could not pull in there, that was not believable to me. The two kayakers managed to get in there with kayak and without paddle and the current was not that swift there. The drift boat certainly could have pulled hard on the oars and got to them. Instead they pull out and shout instructions to the stranded pair to follow. Following the bank edge there seems quite doable but all of a sudden they are in the middle of the Kenai which necessitates a dramatic boat chase and rescue. As I said, for me this utubed event didn't add up as a first time, one off event.
Charles

Malibu_Two

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I don't know. Often on Youtube videos shot out here on the ocean, the person on camera will comment on how rough and sloppy it is but in the video from where I'm sitting it doesn't appear that way. I think the fish-eye lens can make things appear less rough, for whatever reason. Some sort of distorting of the image.

If it was staged it was an incredible production. The dialogue and acting all felt authentic to me.

charles

• Salmon
  • View Profile
One of my sons lives close to the Kenai and has kayaked it countless times, both upper and lower Kenai. I've been down it three times with him as a guide but claim no expertise other than close to the bank it is usually quieter water. When he gets back from his solo kayak trip all around Kodiak island I will run this by him and get his opinion and see if he has first hand info.
Charles