Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 12:19:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 11:51:11 AM]

[Today at 10:11:16 AM]

[Today at 08:58:58 AM]

[Today at 08:28:55 AM]

[Today at 06:18:55 AM]

[Today at 06:17:34 AM]

[June 03, 2024, 08:15:05 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 07:37:32 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 06:25:19 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 06:07:14 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 04:55:38 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 04:06:59 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 01:11:45 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 11:31:14 AM]

[June 02, 2024, 01:03:50 PM]

[June 02, 2024, 12:53:57 PM]

[June 01, 2024, 09:21:54 PM]

[June 01, 2024, 07:00:43 PM]

[May 31, 2024, 10:52:30 PM]

[May 31, 2024, 03:48:11 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: DIY Fish Bonker?  (Read 5153 times)

Tez

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
I have a bonker made from an old shovel handle.  I don't ever use it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DPEDAOK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

An option to a bonker is a screwdriver blade or needle nose pliers in the brain.  Often easier than beating a fish, especially halibut.

Yeah? I was worried about the accidental leg stab factor, but it may be that the stab is not as hard as I think it is.

If the fish is big enough, grab it by the throat.  Big lings and cabs have gill rakers that will cut the shit out of your fingers (I seem to get excited and forget this every time).  Brain spike, then wiggle the blade until they tense up and flare fins, then fully relax. 

I've never had one wake back up after a proper braining. 

You don't need to swing the knife like a maniac, use controlled movements.  Cut gills right away. 
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 01:10:42 PM by Tez »

tehpenguins

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2019
Honestly, I use my bonker maybe once or twice if there's a crazy ling wrapped up in my net weird. I always have my floating SF Giants bat I got in 5th grade when I go out on the water, but I usually just grab my jighead and put it on a clip and cut the gills, or lip grip to clip.
- Shane

2015 Papaya Hobie Revolution 13
2014 Hibiscus Revolution 13
2011 Blue F150 with Camper Shell

Tinker

Hickory replacement hammer handle.  Cheap in any hardware store.  Cut off the end that would go into the hammer head, drill a hole for a lanyard and there you go - and it fits nicely in one of the in-hull flush mount rod holders.

LilRiverMan

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
IMO  bamboo makes  the best bonkers. Cheap, light, hard and with built it air pocket to keep it floating.
 Bonking has mixed results. The fish tend to wake up at exactly the wrong moment thrash their way out of the net and back into the water. Lost a couple big Lings that way. I've taken to putting the point of my gaff between the eyes and giving the base of the U bend a good whack with my palm . Then stir it around to make sure you get the brain. Quick way to end it.
Winner, 2012 Fisherman's Warehouse, Tiki Lagoon - Stripers.

Proud paddler - Pay it Forward Paddle 2010 / 2011 / 2012 / 2013 / 2014 / 2015 / 2016 / 2017 / 2018

In the game of biggest fish, if you can't enjoy routinely gettin' your ass handed to you, by great fishermen, then you don't belong in the NCKA.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

Warf_rat

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2020
Lot of good options on this thread. You can watch video here about ikejime and what the fish is doing when it's flexing/moving after being spiked. I also don't love spiking fish in the head when im on the kayak, too afraid of self inflicted damage. I usually put anything big on a stringer first, then bonk it with a homemade gaff from a 1.5" dowel and a long roofing nail bent and sharpened on a grinder, then cut the kills while the hearts pumping but the fish is brain dead

eelkram

• Sea Lion
  • it's my name, backwards
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
I lip grip em, put them on my stringer, then give them a good whack or 2 with the lip gripper before cutting the gills.  Thats why I prefer metal lip grippers... dual purpose.   :smt003
'15 Viking ProFish Reload, wasp
'11 Hobie Revo 13, skunk yellow
'12 Hobie Outfitter, dune (I'm the guy pedaling in the back)

Tim in Albion

• Salmon
  • Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2018
My favorite bonker was a piece of driftwood I found floating in the sea while fishing. Perfect length and diameter, with a knot right where the bonking happens. Somehow I lost it this year and had to replace it with a stick of firewood (limb of wax myrtle).

There's no reason to ever buy one.
Swell Scupper 14 in Great White (!)

HGEric

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2020
I use a rubber mallet from dollar store. Small and handy. I can't make anything cheaper than a dollar and worked so well.

Mojo Jojo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
Aluminum bike seat post, hole on the smooth end with electrical tape for a handle, lanyard through the hole. The seat end has a raised lip to it for a smaller impact area.

2013 Jackson Big Tuna.........Ours
2011 Native Mariner Propel 12.5...His
2015 Native Slayer Propel 13.......Hers
20?? Emotion ,Sparky.....7 yr old grandson's
Event Coordinator
Heroes On the Water
North Oregon Coast Chapter
Team C.O.D. FISHING (Crazy Old Dudes)just for forum fun challenges

Trouter925

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2019
I read that the point of bonking was to knock the fish out - not kill it. Then snip the gills and bleed it. This was supposedly the humane ways to dispatch a fish.
Native Titan Propel 12'

NuggyT

• Salmon
  • 2016 Hobie Revo 11’
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2020
Currently using a 9”long piece of metal conduit pipe, they’re usually used for protecting Electrical wires.
 Imagine a piece of 1&1/2”-2” PVC pipe would work great too. Both of options are super cheap at homechepo.
Tight lines n’ good vibes

WillFo

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
I use a dive spike stringer. Simultaneously puts a spike through the brain and secures them to the kayak.Then rip the gills and gut them: done and done. Bonker is one less piece of gear to carry.

MauiBen

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2019
My long needle nose pliers have enough weight to them to knock out a fish. The jaws essentially form a shaft when closed, and I whack them mid-shaft where it is thickest. Learned that from a salmon guide in Alaska.

anything