Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 04:33:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 12:24:26 AM]

[June 03, 2024, 10:31:50 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 08:52:35 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 08:15:05 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 07:37:32 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 06:25:19 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 06:07:14 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 04:55:38 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 04:11:06 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 04:06:59 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 01:11:45 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 11:31:14 AM]

[June 02, 2024, 01:03:50 PM]

[June 02, 2024, 12:53:57 PM]

[June 01, 2024, 09:21:54 PM]

[June 01, 2024, 07:00:43 PM]

[May 31, 2024, 10:52:30 PM]

[May 31, 2024, 03:48:11 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Pedal vs motorized fishing kayak  (Read 3864 times)

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I think it’s REALLY important to learn how to kayak first. Learn how to paddle efficiently - for hours on end if needed. Learn how to self rescue. Learn how to read the ocean. Then try pedals or a motor if you feel like it. That way your have the skills, physical strength, and confidence to get back to shore if (more likely when) your pedal drive or motor leaves you hanging and the wind picks up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bml376

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
From Uminchu:

"Another thing I worry is if the motor craps out there, then now what?
With motor you can go far pretty quick easy, but if it dies on you far away, you have to paddle back with lots of weight.
You probably don't have a friend with you since they probably don't have a motor, so sometime happen you might be all alone & far away... "

So far my motor has crapped out 3 times. Twice a got my braided line caught in the prop. Those two times I just started paddling. The other time was at Tomales Bay when Eel grass jammed the prop. I just paddled over to a beach, and cleared it out. I do not go further away from the launch with the motor than I would paddling.

Thanks again for the responses!  This is exactly the sort of input I'm looking for.  I'm curious what type of motor/kayak do you have, just wondering if this could be an issue with the one I'm considering.

The post from Uminchu is correct, the motorized kayak I'm considering is one of the newer designs where the motor unit fits in the middle of the boat where the pedal drive unit would go.  I would guess that in terms of getting line and weeds/grass caught in the prop, the pedal drive would also be susceptible to this?

For a while, my plan is not to venture too far out.  Being mindful of battery and potential issues with the motor, I think will help keep me in check.

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Hobie’s pedal drive can catch fishing line, kelp, etc, but they all shed off easily since there are no rotating parts down in the water to tangle with. All you have to do is lift the drive up and drop it back in place. More often than not you can just jiggle your feet a little bit to shed floating bits of kelp, eel grass, etc.

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
My biggest concern is when you flip over the motorized kayak...
I met a guy (non-NCKAer) who DIY outfit to his kayak for a small motor, but he told me each time he capsizes he has to call for help (and I've seen him getting rescued at HMB once and heard happened to him a few other times).
I believe these new system like the Oldtowns or Wilderness very stream lined and fit to the kayaks, but adding more weight might make hard to flip kayak back over. I believe any kayak you should be able to self rescue, but some of these big kayaks I have some concerns...
Another thing I worry is if the motor craps out there, then now what?
With motor you can go far pretty quick easy, but if it dies on you far away, you have to paddle back with lots of weight.
You probably don't have a friend with you since they probably don't have a motor, so sometime happen you might be all alone & far away...
At least the padels only adds ~8-15lb depends on the company, and you should be able to flip back up most of sea worthy pedal kayak then you should be able to go back how many miles you came out with your human power.
This is just my concern & mainly for the ocean, but the technology is advancing & batteries & motors are becoming more reliable, so might be nice additions...?
Whatever you choose, be safe out there :smt006

I put an electric trolling motor on my Wilderness Radar 135. It mounts where the pedals go so I can work on it if needed. It doesn't go as fast as pedals but it goes all day with my light lithium battery pack. The kayak is wide and hard to flip over. I got a strap to help flip it upright if I was to ever capsize it. I have practiced self rescue and flipping it upright. I also have a dead man's switch in case I fall out. So what if the motor craps out? Some have suggested a power boat. What if the motor on it craps out. I'd rather have to paddle my kayak back to the launch than a power boat. There is no guarantee with any motor or human powered boat either. If you want a motorized kayak I suggest setting it up in the middle so you can easily clear or replace the prop if needed.
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=42846.msg470404#msg470404

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

Mark L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
Oh, I forgot to mention that my kayak insurance package covers the kayak, fishing gear, liability coverage, motor, and Towing Service. Not bad for around $150 a year.
2018 Eddyline Yellow Caribbean 14 Angler

Uminchu Naoaki

• Fisherman from Okinawa
  • Sea Lion
  • Uminchu
  • View Profile my YouTube
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006
...each time he capsizes he has to call for help (and I've seen him getting rescued at HMB once and heard happened to him a few other times).
Yikes. That sounds reckless and selfish. We are lucky that private boaters almost always help those in need and the Coast Guard rescues everyone for free, but with behavior like this that might change.

Yeah, the kayak is in the back ground. When I saw him at Doran, he told me that he flipped and lost bunch of stuff earlier the month, and had to call for help. Few weeks later I saw him fishing at HMB, after I came in & heard on the radio that he was getting rescue again...
I think it’s REALLY important to learn how to kayak first. Learn how to paddle efficiently - for hours on end if needed. Learn how to self rescue. Learn how to read the ocean. Then try pedals or a motor if you feel like it. That way your have the skills, physical strength, and confidence to get back to shore if (more likely when) your pedal drive or motor leaves you hanging and the wind picks up.

I wholeheartedly agree with this statement. I believe my opinion are just coming from my experiences. Of course as technology advances things are change but the core safety values should be consider before fishing...