Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 05:21:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 04:38:42 AM]

[June 15, 2024, 11:48:03 PM]

[June 15, 2024, 09:39:01 PM]

[June 15, 2024, 09:23:53 PM]

[June 15, 2024, 06:08:25 PM]

[June 15, 2024, 02:48:55 PM]

[June 15, 2024, 10:52:35 AM]

[June 14, 2024, 10:19:56 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 10:13:46 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 10:08:16 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 09:44:38 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 09:17:03 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 08:56:33 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 08:15:22 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 08:00:20 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 04:30:19 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 04:13:28 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 02:04:11 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 01:44:26 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 01:12:23 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 12:22:14 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 09:55:04 AM]

[June 14, 2024, 09:19:03 AM]

[June 14, 2024, 06:14:40 AM]

[June 13, 2024, 09:28:36 PM]

[June 13, 2024, 07:29:48 PM]

[June 13, 2024, 09:31:23 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: WTF is wrong with this country?  (Read 5374 times)

Danglin

• Sea Lion
  • Accept Yourself, So Shall The World ...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
So, I'm not having a particular good day…  :smt009

and finally get to my desk to catch up on stuff including HOW… I remember this voice mail from a very nice gentleman who is a vet and wants to go kayak fishing. I guess he met us at Shadow Cliffs this year…

anyway, sounds like a really great guy, got his info and I'm about ready to hang up and get to the next message when I see that the message goes for another couple of minutes…

I listen…

He's homeles living in a creek bed with his 2 service dogs and a few other vets, that want me to take them fishing …    :smt087

I'm kind of dumb struck….

I've had all kinds of phone calls, emails and text with HOW, and we won't even go into what I've seen in real life in what these guys can do,

But this one got me…  HOW does this work?

I pull up in my truck and pick up 3 or 4 homeless guys, and 2 or more dogs, and take them to a event?

Then drop them off after the show back at the creek bed ?

I think I have a better idea, I'm not sure where these guys are located yet, but I'm thinking, if there anywhere near the bay, I/we, teach them how to shark fish… if that does not work, we'll figure the next species,  scourge up some gear, or use the HOW credit card,,, fuck it,

and set these guys up...

and ya, Bay fish are unhealthy to eat,,,But I'm sure the Agent Orange that is stocked up in these guys will keep whatever "Ju Ju" is in the fish @ Bay...

keep y'all posited...
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 12:29:55 AM by Danglin »
There are 3 Types of people in the world,,,

The Sheep, The Sheep Dog & The Wolf,

Which are You ,,,

2006 NCKA Shark Fishing Tournament Champion    
2nd Moutcha Bay, BC. 2006 "Tyee" Surfing Contest
ELK 07  1st Place Loser
HMB 09 3rd Place
HMB 09 Sardine Champion
2009-2016 Northern California HOW Coordinator

Love Baja…  :smt055

Sarge

• William Wirt
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
WOW. you are an awesome guy Don.
Hobie Dealer Pro Staff
Ling Ling Jigs Pro Staff
http://www.linglingjigs.com 
2017, 27th Shasta Bass Classic
2016, 13th place AOTY
2015, 2nd Place Team GS9 (Team Pacific Outfitters)

Ring King

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2013
I'm sure between all of us we can come up with some gear and or funds to outfit a couple guys.  I'm not wealthy by any stretch of the imagination but I know that I can come up with something to help outfit these guys.  The "cause" is more than worth a little effort to me!

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
I'll gladly contribute.
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

MontanaN8V

• I swear it was this big!
  • Sea Lion
  • It's BANG TIME!!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Live your life, the way you want to be remembered. Don't have any regrets, we only get this one dance to make it count. Start at your eulogy, and work backwards.

GrimKeeper

• Sea Lion
  • To consume, you must produce.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2013
Gear and a few tips is great. What about licenses? Tell them to only fish public piers or jettys? If they're without transportation and don't have the option to fish salt, California is gonna make their situation a whole lot worse if the warden comes'a snoopin.

SeaWeed

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2008
Gear and a few tips is great. What about licenses? Tell them to only fish public piers or jettys? If they're without transportation and don't have the option to fish salt, California is gonna make their situation a whole lot worse if the warden comes'a snoopin.

I agree with this I think there maybe something Fish and Game should have some way to help these guys out. Can we from different areas and contact our state representatives to create a bill where they can sign up for a special fishing permit for these guys. I can't say anything else because I'm not political correct. I gave that up a few years ago as it doesn't work.  But I'm in to help can we organize a gear donation event at Albion. Can I copy and forward your post to my local state Representative.   
SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!

bpowa

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2014
I have extra gear to help.  Maybe some beer too.

If i was homless i sure would like a beer.  I hand one out when i make a beer run.  They are greatful.  Especially premium beer. 

DG

• Sea Lion
  • First joined in 2013
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014
I know your heart so won't question that part of it.  Just be aware there are frauds out there and some homeless are homeless for a reason.  Drugs, addictions, running from the law or off meds.  Some reach out to non profits for the wrong reasons so please be careful going beyond the scope of Heros on The Water.  A little variation I understand but you will be putting yourself in real danger if you continue that route. 

In this day and age there are so many resources for anyone who wants them.  Free housing is definitely available and veteran resource are definitely a resource that can screen individuals for the appropriate time to go fishing.  Going through a veterans group or hospital will assign medical staff with the ones that may need it. 

I have no clue if this group is or will be a problem but just want to make sure you recommend all the resources available to these guys and encourage them to seek help so when they do get the opportunity to go fishing there are no surprises to them or their fishing buddy. 

I do hope there is a way to help them as I know first hand the mental and physical benefits of getting out and fishing. 
-----------------------------------
NorCAL HOW Volunteer

2018 NCKA - DOTY Committee Member

2017 DOTY 2 biggest fish awards
2016 DOTY 2nd place / 4 biggest fish awards
2016 Triton X - 2nd place
2016 Triton Open - Biggest Lingcod
2014 DOTY - 1 biggest fish award

SeaWeed

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2008
I know your heart so won't question that part of it.  Just be aware there are frauds out there and some homeless are homeless for a reason.  Drugs, addictions, running from the law or off meds.  Some reach out to non profits for the wrong reasons so please be careful going beyond the scope of Heros on The Water.  A little variation I understand but you will be putting yourself in real danger if you continue that route. 

In this day and age there are so many resources for anyone who wants them.  Free housing is definitely available and veteran resource are definitely a resource that can screen individuals for the appropriate time to go fishing.  Going through a veterans group or hospital will assign medical staff with the ones that may need it. 

I have no clue if this group is or will be a problem but just want to make sure you recommend all the resources available to these guys and encourage them to seek help so when they do get the opportunity to go fishing there are no surprises to them or their fishing buddy. 

I do hope there is a way to help them as I know first hand the mental and physical benefits of getting out and fishing.

Very Well Said DG.! Remember Got your 6 and the reason. If these guys are old there is a place to house old vets up in Nor-Cal. I belong to Native Sons of the Golden west. and Can find that information for you. Native Sons has a big BBQ for them every YR.
SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!

tiny

• Striper
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2009
A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve,not by the desire to beat others-Ayn Rand

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 urban camo
RTM Abaco orange and black   HELL YEAH

RacinRob

• AOTY Committee
  • Wilderness Systems Pro Staff
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
I they truly are vets they can get a fishing license for $7.
http://WildernessSystems.com      http://ATPaddles.com
http://ShastaTackle.com               http://MacksLure.com

Wilderness Systems Kayaks Pro Staff           Heroes on the Water Coordinator
Mack's Lure Pro Staff

2018 AOTY 2nd Place
2017 ARW Halibut 3rd Place
2017 Berryessa Salmon Slam MBF winner
2014 GS8 1st Place AOTD
2014 Trinidad Rockfish Wars 1st Place--- Teamed w/ATD
2014 AOTY 3rd Place-Again
2013 AOTY 3rd Place
2012 Berryessa Salmon Slam  1st Place
2012 Sonoma Slam 1st Place---Teamed w/ATD
2012 TRW 2 1st Place----Teamed w/ATD
2012 PIF Big Salmon Winner
2012 Fresh Kats Series Champion
2012-13-14 Team NCKA Kayak Wars 1st Place Team Overall

Chadrock

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Don, you have a huge goddamn heart.
If they really are vets, I'd be happy to help out.
If you want to thank a Vet, be a person worth fighting for.

1st place Red Barn Classic 2010

Danglin

• Sea Lion
  • Accept Yourself, So Shall The World ...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
    :smt044

LOL, I did not think about that, but most homeless have several citations as it is…

Thanks DG,  if anything I know, it's the homeless, my clientele for over 25 years… and have had plenty non-profit rip off artist take a run at us too…

no

I get a feeling that these guys are recently homeless from the voicemail.

And DG your also right that this is not with in the HOW scope and will keep this separate, So I will buy them a beer, I'm just pissed…  I know it's in the thousands of vets on the streets along with women and children and working families …

but some reason, I feel we can do a little something about this one, and their calling us about our charter.

They know me pretty well at all Northern California DF&G Offices, maybe once we make contact, I can expedite the vet license or least get them in the right direction to get it… good point though…

appreciate the good thoughts on this and definitely out of our wheel house and profession…

buts whats wrong with taking a person fishing and giving them a fishing pole?

that seems safe enough….

« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 09:18:12 PM by Danglin »
There are 3 Types of people in the world,,,

The Sheep, The Sheep Dog & The Wolf,

Which are You ,,,

2006 NCKA Shark Fishing Tournament Champion    
2nd Moutcha Bay, BC. 2006 "Tyee" Surfing Contest
ELK 07  1st Place Loser
HMB 09 3rd Place
HMB 09 Sardine Champion
2009-2016 Northern California HOW Coordinator

Love Baja…  :smt055

ppickerell

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2006
Totally love the concept of helping them become self sufficient  by catching their own fish.  I can contribute a surf rod/reel with fresh line and would be willing to help on a maybe Dumbarton pier outing?