Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 08, 2024, 01:00:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[June 07, 2024, 11:18:58 PM]

[June 07, 2024, 09:47:26 PM]

[June 07, 2024, 09:37:09 PM]

[June 07, 2024, 09:30:47 PM]

[June 07, 2024, 07:20:45 PM]

[June 07, 2024, 03:27:08 PM]

[June 07, 2024, 09:58:25 AM]

[June 06, 2024, 07:55:33 PM]

[June 06, 2024, 07:14:49 PM]

[June 06, 2024, 04:52:58 PM]

[June 06, 2024, 02:50:42 PM]

[June 06, 2024, 02:30:38 PM]

[June 06, 2024, 01:47:16 PM]

[June 06, 2024, 07:45:25 AM]

by &
[June 05, 2024, 10:26:37 PM]

[June 05, 2024, 09:49:34 PM]

[June 05, 2024, 09:23:04 PM]

[June 05, 2024, 07:52:44 PM]

[June 05, 2024, 06:52:33 PM]

[June 05, 2024, 03:46:51 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Quick Release Anchor System is crucial.  (Read 6798 times)

pao

It's not common to have debris flow downstream.  As a rule you should always check behind you, upsteam, everyonce in a while when you sit on anchor.

I'm not sure what you mean by debris doesn't commonly flow downstream. I was in 35fow and water visibility was about 12-18". The debris that snagged my anchor line could have been anywhere in the water column.

I know some things don't "read" in the tone we intend, so Yester, please know I'm respectfully inquiring about the debris flow thing and not being a smart ass. So if you can teach me something about currents I'd love to learn.

Sorry!  Something didn't get read correctly.  I'd misinterpreted. 
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 07:50:06 PM by yester »

rockfish

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
wow, thats freaky when it happens!  good job staying calm and letting the quick release system do its thing :)
Less Mental than before, Still savage AF tho <3

IG: she_savagly_gardens

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
i got hit by a pretty big tree once in the delta. the QRAS worked fine for me, and i didn't even sweat it..just paddled down, waited for it to pass and went back to tie back up.

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
What do you all use as a anchor quick release. I have been attaching mine to the tack with a carabiner but I am wondering if I should setup something more sophisticated. Thanks in advance. I am glad your made it out ok. Hopefully your experience educates a bunch of us new guys so we do not become submerged debris ourself.

Best,
Phil

This is the QRAS set up Jeffo was using I believe.:

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=16289.0
<=>

Jeffo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
That is the exact one I use.
Oversize Sturgeon Club
Weekday Warrior

CGN-38

• Del Valle Storm Trooper
  • Sea Lion
  • Survivor Del Valle FnC 09'
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
 :smt006

Wow, whatever it was below you was obviously big enough to sink the float bouy!  Sucks you lost your gear, and qudos to you for keeping your cool during the whole thing!

Member/survivor STORM TROOPER Brigade

phishphood

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2012
Jeffo- so if I'm reading it right, you didn't even do anything to take your rope off the cleat, right? Just a question for all you guys- is this ideal or would you rather have to manually remove it?
--Mitch, the perpetual newbie

Jeffo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
As the debris put tension on my anchor line, my float started moving towards the bow of my kayak.  My clam cleat is right next to my seat.  As the float moved up the side of my kayak, the current mixed with the tension on the anchor line caused me to start turning perpendicular of the current.  Thus causing the Anchor line keeper rope to pop off of the clam cleat and I was free and my float was gone. 

I'd say that that happening is ideal.  It took me about 2 seconds to realize what was going on, but if for whatever reason I didn't realize something big in the current was caught in my anchor line and I had to manually release it, would I have been able to figure it out in time?  This all happened in about 10 seconds.  I probably would have.  Having the keeper line pop off of the clam cleat by itself is ideal.  Its one less thing you have to worry about.  If the current wouldn't have caused my yak to turn perpendicular to the current and it just stayed straight, I would have had to manually release it.  Which isn't a big deal as long as you realize what is happening. 
Oversize Sturgeon Club
Weekday Warrior

reelfish

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006
it was a body.....

And Sonny adds  ":smt044"

Let me inform you. The Sheriff's office recovers 10 to 15 bodies out of the delta yearly for what ever reasons. A few years back I was fishing in discovery bay with a friend from Coyote bait and tackle and snagged a dead submerged young blond female in the hair forty yards away from the boat ramp. I felt the snag and after retrieving my lure I found a clump of hair and scalp attached to the hook. You want to talk about having your day ruined that will do it. Not to hijack this thread but snagging a body is a possibility there.
The sheriff also said people dump there dogs, cats, cows and even horse's in the delta.
I always use a QRAS when in anchor up in current.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 10:31:06 PM by reelfish »

Jeffo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I've fished a couple bodies out of the delta myself. When people steal cars, they either burn them when they are done with them, or push them off a levee into the Delta. It really could have been anything. Tree, sunken boat, body, car, anything. Gotta have that quick release when it hits.
Oversize Sturgeon Club
Weekday Warrior

CGN-38

• Del Valle Storm Trooper
  • Sea Lion
  • Survivor Del Valle FnC 09'
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
 :smt006

It'll be nice when FF technology gets to a point where we'll be able to view whats under us like watching a TV screen! ( I know what we have to day is really close) If it was me, I  think I would have liked to know what the hell snagged my anchor line and hopefully my underwater TV could have shown me the culprit.

Member/survivor STORM TROOPER Brigade

Derrick A2H

• Addicted2TheHook
  • Sea Lion
  • Release your trophies, share them with the youth.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
I think it was the big striper u were waiting for bit ur anchor cause it smelt like bait!
Team Central Coast Kayak Fishing

Realisticwraps
 FINS Fishing
Phenix Rods

2013 CCKF AOTY 1st place
2012 GS6 Biggest Fish

2015 Outback Dune

http://www.centralcoastkayakfishing.com/

Raynman10

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2012
This is one great string, thanks guys. Tis great when everything works out, good you and your boat are safe. I have assembled all the parts named in the QRAS tutorial but haven't set it up yet. I guess Sturgeon time is coming so I better get moving. After reading this I would not anchor W/O the QRAS installed.

erayd8

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2012
how did you make your qras? so glad you made it!
close one bro!

sonoramike

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2012
how did you make your qras? so glad you made it!
close one bro!
Tote shared the link read 10 comments up^

anything