Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 07, 2024, 12:29:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 12:14:11 AM]

[June 06, 2024, 08:33:23 PM]

[June 06, 2024, 07:55:33 PM]

[June 06, 2024, 07:14:49 PM]

[June 06, 2024, 04:52:58 PM]

[June 06, 2024, 02:50:42 PM]

[June 06, 2024, 02:41:24 PM]

[June 06, 2024, 02:30:38 PM]

[June 06, 2024, 01:47:16 PM]

[June 06, 2024, 07:45:25 AM]

by &
[June 05, 2024, 10:26:37 PM]

[June 05, 2024, 09:49:34 PM]

[June 05, 2024, 09:23:04 PM]

[June 05, 2024, 07:52:44 PM]

[June 05, 2024, 06:52:33 PM]

[June 05, 2024, 03:46:51 PM]

[June 04, 2024, 06:18:55 AM]

[June 04, 2024, 06:17:34 AM]

[June 03, 2024, 08:15:05 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 07:37:32 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 06:07:14 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 04:55:38 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Lure speed question?  (Read 6363 times)

Jedmo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
Hello folks :smt006 Just a quick question here for our trout expert. How
do you know how deep your lure is in the water if you are going about
.7 mile an hour? For instance, the J7 Rapala that said 4-6 depth. Would
the lure go deeper if you speed up more or if you slow down? I tried doing my research on line but I can't seem to get the answer I'm looking for. I greatly appreciate any tips you can give. Thanks in advance.

Jedmo
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 01:28:39 PM by Jedmo »
1st place GS3 2009
7th place AOTY 2009

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Hey Jed, I struggle with accurate depths myself and never really know what depth im running at.  But since the J7's are floating lures, and only dive when you retrieve/troll them it leads me to believe faster is deeper.  BUT length of line out, angle of rod, line weight, etc all play into it too.  Oh, one way to tell your running depth is to move into shallower water and see if you start snagging bottom at your running depth  :smt003 
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 11:18:55 AM by AlsHobieOutback »
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

Jedmo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
After spending well over $100 dollars worth of lures, I need to start catching fish
to justify all these expenses. :smt002

Jedmo
1st place GS3 2009
7th place AOTY 2009

FisHunter

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Manatee
  • Mooch Taught Me How To Live Life
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2006
like he said:
Oh, one way to tell your running depth is to move into shallower water and see if you start snagging bottom at your running depth 

Be Safe, Not Sorry = B'ropeUpFool!

Winner of nothing but goodtimes with good friends.

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Depth is gonna be determined by the bill angle/size, they're really not gonna run deeper than the box says without adding weight. 
..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker

FisHunter

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Manatee
  • Mooch Taught Me How To Live Life
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2006
speed = the pros say about 2 - 3 mph on the trout troll.

they also say bigger lures= faster speed
Be Safe, Not Sorry = B'ropeUpFool!

Winner of nothing but goodtimes with good friends.

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2010
Shimano tekota 300 line counter + long liner. Its not a cheap setup but its as close as it gets to using a downrigger on your yak.

Clayman

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
The jointed Rapalas are very buoyant, and never seem to go down very far.  They always just shoot right to the surface if you slow down too much.  I know they're not as popular, but I prefer the broken-back Rebels over broken-back Rapalas.  The action isn't as tight and "frenzied" as it is on a broken-back Rapala, and they're not as buoyant so they'll go just a little deeper.  Don't be turned off by the cheap pricetag and plastic construction of a broken-back Rebel.  They can work great on trout.
aMayesing Bros.

BANJOTAD

• North Valley Slayers
  • Sea Lion
  • Hobie Revolution
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Excellent Question Jed,
The tool I use while pulling bait, spoons, spinners or any non diving lure is the Davis Fishseeker diving device.

http://www.davisnet.com/marine/products/marine_product.asp?pnum=00512

It eliminates the need for a down rigger and has less drag as well. :smt002
It is adjustable from 5 to 80 ft., and is fairly accurate using the included depth chart.
They do not recommend using it with diving lures like rapallas, and I have not tried that.
I use 20 lb. braid for my main line,(no line stretch)
 a barrel swivel to attach the diving device,
 another barrel swivel, then 2-3 ft. of mono to a sling blade dodger or flashers(optional),
 then 2-3 ft. mono to my lure of choice.

When trolling I will run 2 of these set-ups, one on each side of the kayak (2 rod stamp)
Sometimes I run both at the same depth, sometimes one deeper than the other :smt002

I have caught Trout, Landlocked Kings and Kokanee salmon using this set-up,
I even used this rig at GS 4 pulling chovies for salmon, no salmon love, but a nice black hit it :smt005

When pulling diving lures like rapallas it's more of a guessing game, if I'm not top lining and want to get deeper than 8-10 feet I'll add a egg sinker on a 6-8 lb. main line, a small bead, swivel, then 3-4 ft. of leader for the rapalla.
I let a lot of line out at least 80-100 ft. and troll just fast enough to get the rod tip wiggling from the action of the lure.

Like Al said, There are a lot of variables trolling diving lures, but if your pulling spoons, spinners or bait try the Fishseeker
diving device then you will know how deep you are :smt002

Good luck on the trout quest, most of all HAVE FUN :smt003 :smt004
Tad
 :smt006

beenfishin

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2005
Tad's setup is pretty dialed in, a minimal amount of gear to get you're targeted strike zone...I'll be rigging up a similar setup in the next few weeks. 

Another technique to determine depth is to have a buddy drop back and keep an eye on your lure.  I came up on a buddy who was toplining a white Cripplelure about 100' back, I was able to paddle right alongside the lure which was running about 8' down. 

FishinJay

• Sunrise Prowler 15
  • Sea Lion
  • Indecision may, or may not, be my problem...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2006
like he said:
Oh, one way to tell your running depth is to move into shallower water and see if you start snagging bottom at your running depth

Using this exact technique over weed/snag free bottoms at Del Valle I've figured out that my J-7's dive to about 6' while trolling at ~1.5mph 50' back on 8lb braid with a 10' 6lb flouro leader.
Searching is half the fun: life is much more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party. -Jimmy Buffett

Great Bass 2

• Catch And Cook (CNC)
  • Sea Lion
  • The Art & Science of Fishing & Cooking
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
like he said:

Using this exact technique over weed/snag free bottoms at Del Valle I've figured out that my J-7's dive to about 6' while trolling at ~1.5mph 50' back on 8lb braid with a 10' 6lb flouro leader.

Jed

That is what I have found for the J7 also, 6' depth. Diving depth of a floating or suspending diving plug is a function of lure speed, line diameter, line density and set back distance. Plugs dive deeper with spectra because on line diameter and fluorocarbon because of density. The floating and suspending  plugs dive deeper with increased speed. I am not sure if that is true for sinking plugs. The setback distance also changes diving depth. For deep diving plugs such as the Rapala Tail Dancer, a 50-100' setback may be required to achieve maximum depth. Using 8# fluorocarbon line, 75-100' setback and boat speed of 1.5-2.5 MPH, I have found that all Rapalas dive to their specified maximum depth and sometimes an additional 1-2 feet. Here are the specs for some of my favorite Rapalas...

Rapala Model         Description                       Good Colors                     Diving Depth
Original Floater F5         2”,  1/16 oz , #10 hooks       Silver, Gold, Rainbow     3-5’
Original Floater F7         2 ¾" 1/8 oz, #7 hooks        Firetiger, Rainbow, Brook     3-5’
X-Rap XR-6         2 ½”, 1/8  oz,  #10 hooks        Silver, Gold                     3-5’ (rattling/suspending)
X-Rap XR-8         3 1/8”, 1/4  oz,  #6 /7 hooks  Silver, Rainbow                     3-5’ (rattling/suspending)
Jointed J7                         2 ¾”, 1/8 oz, #6 hooks        Firetiger, Rainbow, Brook     4-6’
Jointed J9                         3 ½”,  1/4 oz,  #5 hooks        Silver, Rainbow                     5-7’
Shad Rap SR5         2”, 3/16 oz,  #6 hooks        Shad, Bleeding Olive, Perch  4-9’
Jointed Shad Rap JSR5  2”,  1/4 oz, #6 /7 hooks        Silver Shad, Blue Shad     6-13’ (rattling/suspending)
Tail Dancer TD7         2 ¾”,  5/16 oz, #5 hooks        Shad                                     9-12’ (rattling)
Deep Tail Dancer TDD7  2 ¾”,  5/16 oz, #5 hooks        Shad, Rainbow                     15’ (rattling)
Deep Tail Dancer TDD9  3 ½”, 7/16 oz, #3 hooks        Shad, Rainbow                     20’ (rattling)

I included this table not to promote these lures but as a reference since it is sometimes hard to remember diving depth, hook size etc. Especially for a senior citizen like myself.  :smt005

Scott
1st Place 2007 Kayak Connection Father's Day Derby
1st Place 2007 New Melones Trout Derby
1st Place 2011 Lake Berryessa Salmon Slam
1st Place 2011 Pay It Forward Taco Throw Down
1st Place 2011 Albion Open
1st Place 2012 & 2013 Central Coast Custom Lure Contest
1st Place 2013 The Simply Fishing Tournament

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Scott, thanks for that awesome list!!!  I've been keeping the boxes, or taking pictures of them to try and remember the depth ranges  :smt005 Started writing it on the plano boxes as well as the under belly of some of the lures :smt003 

So, what about things like kastmasters?  Any tips on targeting depths with them, without a DR?
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

Jedmo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Thanks for all your help and tips fellas. Now all I need is to find a place to fish where I can get these trout to bite. :smt001 Tad, I like that rig you shared with
us all. I hope the local tackle shop around here  will have it.

Jedmo
1st place GS3 2009
7th place AOTY 2009

• Fishing is the perpetual series occasion of hope.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
Thanks for all your help and tips fellas. Now all I need is to find a place to fish where I can get these trout to bite. :smt001 Tad, I like that rig you shared with
us all. I hope the local tackle shop around here  will have it.

Jedmo
Jed, San PAblo is opening soon dont worry you will get your hands on those trout soon
Live today for tomorrow's sake.
We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.