Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 07:01:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by okie
[Today at 06:57:25 PM]

[Today at 06:52:13 PM]

[Today at 06:48:49 PM]

[Today at 06:47:55 PM]

[Today at 06:45:52 PM]

[Today at 06:43:52 PM]

[Today at 05:43:40 PM]

[Today at 05:34:07 PM]

[Today at 05:33:37 PM]

by Clb
[Today at 04:10:23 PM]

[Today at 12:59:41 PM]

[Today at 11:27:53 AM]

[Today at 08:50:40 AM]

[Today at 07:40:24 AM]

[Today at 07:36:25 AM]

[May 20, 2024, 10:59:06 PM]

[May 20, 2024, 09:14:25 PM]

[May 20, 2024, 05:46:39 PM]

[May 20, 2024, 04:11:20 PM]

[May 20, 2024, 09:05:07 AM]

[May 19, 2024, 10:21:04 AM]

by Clb
[May 19, 2024, 09:23:49 AM]

[May 19, 2024, 07:12:15 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Biggest fish caught on a kayak.....  (Read 8344 times)

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
....and the details of the catch (where,when and how) Pictures would be nice!  :smt109

Let's hear it ! :smt118

KZ

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Kunz's Reel Rods
I wrote an article that will be in the winter edition of Kayak Fisherman Magazine that describes my experience with the 67 inch sturgeon... by far my most exciting experience... but you'll have to get the magazine to get the story.

http://www.kayakfishinggear.com/kayak_fisherman.htm
2006 Elk Tourney Champion
2006 Angler of the Year 3rd Place

Kunz's Reel Rods
www.kzreelrods.com

Acts 10:13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
47-inch leopard shark at Coyote Point (just a few weeks ago). I was fishing with jdyak John. We were targeting Sturgeon but Mr. L Shark took my offering - frozen Herring marinated with herring oil  :smt078 Had to unclip my anchor as it took me for a ride when it hit. And as usual, I yelled "FISH ON!!"...and yes...everyone heard me. At first, I set the hook when I felt a light tap on my rod....I felt no weight until I realized my line had a life of it's own - it was moving towards me and ran under my yak. I caught up by reeling in like a mad man =  Roland Martin style.....ooouuhhh son! As soon as I felt the weight - I set the hook and the shark went wild. I thought (and prayed) that it was a sturgeon...but after a 15 minute tug of war....I saw the tail end and it showed no diamonds....just spots.....oh well.

* sorry  - no pics...
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 01:17:45 AM by Mooch »

Hat Trick

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
2 years ago i caught a bunch of big sardines at rockaway. i used one for bait, i hooked a sea monster of a halibut.  i pumped it up to the surface and stuck my homemade gaff in its huge mouth{a broomstick with a big fish hook screwed on} but it yanked the gaff out of my hand and went back to the bottom.  i found my gaff floating around, pumped the beast back to the surface, i gaffed it and held on- it straightened the hook and fled back to the bottom.  next i pumped it up halfway and started towing it back to the beach, i tumbled in and landed it-35lbs!  some guys in the parking lot said"nice fish man" and handed me a bud tall.
2006 AOTY STRIPERKING

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
My buddy Tom and I took the Triple out of SC to the mile buoy.  Saw birds busting a school of baitfish and dropped the salmon rigs down as the salmon were known to be close that week.   Nothing doing.  Kept jigging up some monster jacksmelt.  After bringing another one up, I decided to put it on a halibut rig and drop it to the bottom.  5 minutes later ... BENDO!   After a nice sleight ride, I finally pulled a 34# butt to the surface.  Yeehaw!  20 minutes later Tom gets bit on squid.  Another large butt comes to the surface.  I gaff it and it has other thoughts.  It jumps OFF the gaff and heads for the bottom.  He finally gets it back up and I blow the gaff shot again.  Thirds times a charm as we land a 25# beauty.

-Allen

ChuckE

• Global Moderator
  • View Profile
Wow...Allen...that's a rare day I'm sure you and Tom will never forget.  Did you guys get any pictures of your catch?
Winner - 2023 ARW Halibut Derby "King of the Wall"
Winner - 2018 ARW Halibut Handline Derby
Winner - 2013 Doran Beach Crabfest
2nd Place - 2012 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner (Biggest Rock Crab) - 2010 Half Moon Bay Crabfest
Winner - 2009 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner - 2009 Paradise Halibut Hunt
Winner - 2007 NCKA Angler of the Year
Winner "Grand Slam" - 2007 Bendo @ Mendo III
2nd Place - 2007 Monterey Bay Kayak Fishing Derby
Winner - 2004 Santa Cruz Kayak Fishing Derby

ChuckE

• Global Moderator
  • View Profile
Damn.... seeing is believing :smt103  Great pics!

That 34 lber is a monster.  Did either of them come back to life in the boat?

-Chuck
Winner - 2023 ARW Halibut Derby "King of the Wall"
Winner - 2018 ARW Halibut Handline Derby
Winner - 2013 Doran Beach Crabfest
2nd Place - 2012 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner (Biggest Rock Crab) - 2010 Half Moon Bay Crabfest
Winner - 2009 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner - 2009 Paradise Halibut Hunt
Winner - 2007 NCKA Angler of the Year
Winner "Grand Slam" - 2007 Bendo @ Mendo III
2nd Place - 2007 Monterey Bay Kayak Fishing Derby
Winner - 2004 Santa Cruz Kayak Fishing Derby

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
They didn't come back to life "on" the boat.  We had caught our first kayak halibut a couple weeks earlier and that little one (12#) went ballistic in the hold.  So this time we leashed em up, cut their gills, and bled them out in the water.  That being said, I watched these butts go ballistic on the rope, jumping everywhere.  A good half hour went by after the 2nd fish before I had the nerve to pull them up on the boat for those pictures.  Quite the site in fact!

-Allen

granitedive

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
One time I speared a ~19 pound halibut freediving, gilled it, strung it through the mouth and gill on my hoop stringer, and dragged it around on my float while I continued to hunt. When I was hauling it onto my yak a half hour later, it bit through my 7 mil wetsuit and puctured my leg! 'Buts are mean fish, and that's why I love them and respect them (gee, where have I heard that)?
     My offering for fish story - first salmon of 2004, June 30th at Linda Mar, 25 lbs. My buddy Mike called the night before and said the fish were in, the dories were out. We both moaned that we couldn't skip work, then saw each other on the water the next day. Trolling over toward Rockaway, I hooked-up, and I could barely get the rod out of the holder. Fought it for 15 or 20, then made an attempt to bag it with my too-small net. All I managed to do was get the net caught on the hook right at the rim of the net, so I had this slug laying in the water next to me with no way to free the net or land the fish. Mike came over and netted the tail and we got it onto my yak, then clubbed the bejeezus out of it. Hooray!

"It's the ocean flowing in our veins"

goldenarrow

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Quote from: polepole
My buddy Tom and I took the Triple out of SC to the mile buoy.  Saw birds busting a school of baitfish and dropped the salmon rigs down as the salmon were known to be close that week.   Nothing doing.  Kept jigging up some monster jacksmelt.  After bringing another one up, I decided to put it on a halibut rig and drop it to the bottom.  5 minutes later ... BENDO!   After a nice sleight ride, I finally pulled a 34# butt to the surface.  Yeehaw!  20 minutes later Tom gets bit on squid.  Another large butt comes to the surface.  I gaff it and it has other thoughts.  It jumps OFF the gaff and heads for the bottom.  He finally gets it back up and I blow the gaff shot again.  Thirds times a charm as we land a 25# beauty.

-Allen

I was there that day fishing too shalow that was my firt time on the ocean with my kayak.  those fish were still floping around when they hit shore if
I rembember.

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
I thought I'd resurrect this post from Jan 2005.....
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 01:23:16 AM by Mooch »

SteveS doesn't kayak anymore

• grumpy ex-kayaker
  • Sea Lion
  • winter sturgeon
  • View Profile
mine is this....caught mothershipping, but its around 60#s (bottomed a 60# boga). After a quick trip into the surf, she towed me 1.5 miles into the briny blue, for an hour and a half.

ravensblack

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2007
This
"I always entertain great hope" Robert Frost

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
"Abking" caught a 38 pound salmon paddling solo out of Shelter Cove on 9/11/06.   :smt001

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php/topic,5461.0.html
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

anything