Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 04:53:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 04:22:01 PM]

[Today at 03:56:14 PM]

[Today at 03:19:58 PM]

[Today at 12:12:45 PM]

[Today at 11:04:28 AM]

[Today at 10:20:34 AM]

[May 05, 2024, 11:01:16 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 06:41:33 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 04:42:12 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 01:30:36 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 11:50:56 AM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:03:44 AM]

[May 05, 2024, 09:10:35 AM]

[May 05, 2024, 08:03:37 AM]

[May 05, 2024, 06:34:21 AM]

[May 04, 2024, 10:50:54 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 08:32:14 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 06:25:48 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Poll

During this SIP order, is it OK to travel outside of your local area to fish?

No - we all need to do our part to flatten the curve
73 (72.3%)
Yes - until authorities make it illegal, I will do what I want to do
28 (27.7%)

Total Members Voted: 99

Voting closed: April 01, 2020, 02:06:51 PM

Topic: OK to travel for fishing?...  (Read 8847 times)

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
Quote from: crash
This poll isn’t worth anything

Isn't it worth having this discussion?

I guess it depends upon what type of discussion you want to have.  The way the poll is phrased doesn’t invite an open discussion.  It invites the reader to agree with you, and disagree with anyone who doesn’t see it exactly as you do, by sophistry and a false dilemma.

I don’t find that discussion useful, no.  As it turns out people didn’t take that invitation and have had a good discussion about the merits of traveling to fish vs staying home and it’s been pretty civil.  Except for the guy who implies that if you go fishing you could literally kill people, which is nonsense, but I think that a lot of folks think exactly that which is why they are so passionate about not traveling to fish.

Doug I don`t think I`d be literally killing anybody. I had the Swine flu/H1N1  in 08-09 and it kicked my ass .Other than going through my back issues, it was bad for me.

Then I was not as old or dealing with keeping diabetes at bay. I really don`t want to find out how I`d fair with this thing going around.

I already have to deal with my wife working at Safeway and we have had a heated debate over it. I dont want it but if get it I don`t want to spread either. Your points are valid .

I could be in the salt in under 40 mins from home. I`m just not willing to .I know there`s a lot of what if`s. And yes we might as well live in a dome if we caved to it all.

I can`t explain it but something in me says stay home. It`s a calm feeling that just feels like I need to listen too. Can`t explain it any better.

I respect you immensely. You got balls and also stand by your convictions . This will not effect how I think and feel about you in anyway. Sometimes people ,as you well know disagree.

It`s not like your a Dodger fan .....

Respectfully Spiffy

I think that’s a different question.  I’m not telling anybody that they should go out, only that if they do and take steps to not directly interact that’s ok.  If you want to stay in for whatever reason, then stay in.  If you live near me and you need something out and about, DM me and I’ll do what I can to make it happen.

And it’s obviously never ok to be a dodgers fan.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

ThreemoneyJ

• Sea Lion
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2014
Quote from: crash
This poll isn’t worth anything

Isn't it worth having this discussion?

I guess it depends upon what type of discussion you want to have.  The way the poll is phrased doesn’t invite an open discussion.  It invites the reader to agree with you, and disagree with anyone who doesn’t see it exactly as you do, by sophistry and a false dilemma.

I don’t find that discussion useful, no.  As it turns out people didn’t take that invitation and have had a good discussion about the merits of traveling to fish vs staying home and it’s been pretty civil.  Except for the guy who implies that if you go fishing you could literally kill people, which is nonsense, but I think that a lot of folks think exactly that which is why they are so passionate about not traveling to fish.

Doug I don`t think I`d be literally killing anybody. I had the Swine flu/H1N1  in 08-09 and it kicked my ass .Other than going through my back issues, it was bad for me.

Then I was not as old or dealing with keeping diabetes at bay. I really don`t want to find out how I`d fair with this thing going around.

I already have to deal with my wife working at Safeway and we have had a heated debate over it. I dont want it but if get it I don`t want to spread either. Your points are valid .

I could be in the salt in under 40 mins from home. I`m just not willing to .I know there`s a lot of what if`s. And yes we might as well live in a dome if we caved to it all.

I can`t explain it but something in me says stay home. It`s a calm feeling that just feels like I need to listen too. Can`t explain it any better.

I respect you immensely. You got balls and also stand by your convictions . This will not effect how I think and feel about you in anyway. Sometimes people ,as you well know disagree.

It`s not like your a Dodger fan .....

Respectfully Spiffy

I think that’s a different question.  I’m not telling anybody that they should go out, only that if they do and take steps to not directly interact that’s ok.  If you want to stay in for whatever reason, then stay in.  If you live near me and you need something out and about, DM me and I’ll do what I can to make it happen.

And it’s obviously never ok to be a dodgers fan.

Dude ,you already brought me Taco Truck Lager during a deluge when you ref`d a game here in Santa Rosa..what more could I ask ?!  :smt044

Hey and I thought I was special because he brought me Taco Truck Lager  :smt044
-John
Angler Of The Year is currently free!!
NCKA Angler of the year (AOTY)link http://aoty.norcalkayakanglers.com/
NCKA AOTY how to link https://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=62574.0
Send me a message if you want to be signed up for AOTY

michael1one

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2016
Great thread. As a healthcare professional, I'll share some thoughts.  Shelter-in-place is very important so that the number of truly "sick" patients don't blow up and over run our hospitals like it has in NY and Italy.  But shelter-in-place won't make COVID go away.  Eventually people will have to leave their houses and people will get exposed.  Shelter-in-place only flattens out the curve in hopes of getting a vaccine/cure and not overloading the system. 

I love that fisherman are so thoughtful about not transmitting the disease.  There are stories of others that blatantly disregard shelter.  These are the people that we need to convince to change practice.  If you want to fish and don't come in contact with others (ie. lets meet up at the beach), then it is highly unlikely that you will be contributing to the crisis.  But if we are too strict, we will see a rise in depression and a financial economical collapse. 

COVID was useful in that
1. It teaches us to be more conscious about germs.  I majored in microbiology and i always thought that people should not shake hands and the population density is too high in certain cities. 
2. It also shows us that we are too dependent on the Chinese (I can say this without being racist because my parents were Chinese) for drugs, PPE, and medical supplies. 
3. It has taught us how to conduct more things remotely, and hopefully will decrease our demand on fossil fuels.

Lets avoid judging others.  But care for your neighbors and we will emerge a stronger country. 
2015 hobie adventure island
New to sailing.  Looking to go fishing with other AI owners.

J Hook

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2019
Regardless of how one feels on this subject, at least we can all agree it’s not OK to be a Dodgers fan. I feel better about today already.
Usually out of the running for Husband of the Year by January 4th of each year...

‘16 Outback

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
     Over time, I can imagine the government and the media getting so good at this.   I begin to stop thinking for myself and get on my bookmarked forms asking for assistance as a common practice until the tax money runs out. Everyone will be classed and distributed allotted resources.  This is a slow frog boil scenario...
     I'm choosing to be wise in responsibility to express freedom, there's that curious word, defined by everyone according to their own personal history and definition, based on many complex experiences per person from birth to now. 
     My question is why am I choosing to go out and fish and why am I choosing to stay home?  Am I honestly staying home for the greater good?  Am I staying home to protect my marriage from division?  It takes a village?  Fear of death?  Fear of the death of others?  Fear of the death of those closest to me?  Monkey see monkey do?  Mandated recommendations from the government?  Am I staying home because I don't want to be judged by anyone, fall in line and be a good citizen like the "trusted"  government and media demand? I do not deny that this is dead serious.  I choose to search my soul and be very aware if I am doing any action from a place of fear.  Fear is the enemy.
     Why am I going out to fish?  To be brave or foolish or just be?  To practice freedom responsibly?  To "take advantage" of quiet streets and glassy windless fishing days?  To catch fish and share with others who love fish?  Am I going out to fish because of my impatience in the home?  Looking forward to an event and a hope?  Is fishing this season, a healthy grieving process of what was?  Fear of not knowing future economy so as to instinctively practice that skill of bringing home the bacon?  Learning the new restrictive norm? 
     Has the government along with the media, proven capable of solving so many issues with the amount of money they are responsible for?  Do I trust them with an experiment in controlling peoples behavior and movement?  Many are referring to China whipping this thing.  They've had their people whipped for many years.
     Is the media worthy of objective reporting? Are ratings, advertising, politics, and markets, their master?  Are we incapable of responsible "self rule" without being selfish?  Who decides that?
     Lo' I struggle because I know we all want the same thing.  Health, life, provision, unity, to be cared for and not abandoned. We have different histories and philosophies, gods and no god...
     My biggest struggle, that puts this all in perspective for our family. is our pursuit of God's will during this season. The church community is scattered.  I experienced my first video prayer meeting and was absolutely blessed by the faces and words that bolstered each unique families needs for prayer.   To create a place in my distracted mind and soul to be receptive to any Spirit led inkling to act, speak, be humorous, grieve, cry, encourage and forgive is the work and identity that I desire and this is who I am.  Not a kids barber, a kayak fisherman, a conservative libertarian, a husband, a father, a loyal friend of friends...however you roll...you are loved!

You’re over complicating this brother......Eddie Would Go!   :surf:smt001

I haven’t yet but have certainly contemplated both fishing and surfing.  If I didn’t have a boat to work on I’d probably have gone.

I too think both the poll and some of the posts are rather inflammatory.  To be perfectly honest here eric, just based on the fear mongering logic I’m seeing in the poll and posts, your lone dive qualifies you for all the “selfish, hates people, raising a middle finger at the world, wants to kill people, has an I mentality, hopes to overwhelm the healthcare system, gonna make doctors have to decide who lives and who dies” labels. How’s that for some irony   :smt002

Looking at the coastal communities that closed their doors to outsiders, I think they did the right thing based on the volume of people visiting and behaving like it was a normal summer day. That would be similar to continuing on with a fishing tournament and inviting a couple hundred outsiders in for a three day festival of close quarters living, which I think would have been a bad idea.  I wouldn’t lump sole anglers into the same category as the hordes of dummies out here licking handrails and playing grabass on the beach.

I continue to hear how we should be following the advice of medical experts, well the public health department has given us guidelines that will help flatten the curve.  Fishing is an essential activity within those guidelines so, if I’m doing that safely why is it different if I’m a block from my house or a hundred miles from it? 

..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Is it that obvious?  Certainly wouldn’t want his ultimate outcome.  Might have to send pics to myself so I have proof that I caught a 20lb anything...if I go, it’ll be a well thought out and an alert intentional adventure with all health measures in place and certainly some risk.  Seems stressful to maintain a justified mindset with several factors taken into account with the different needs and positions expressed on this board.  Certainly a worthy discussion.  Hope we fish someday...keepin’ it real..be well... :smt006
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 11:36:52 PM by Eddie »
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Is it that obvious?  Certainly wouldn’t want his ultimate outcome.  Might have to send pics to myself so I have proof that I caught a 20lb anything...if I go, it’ll be a well thought out and an alert intentional adventure with all health measures in place and certainly some risk.  Seems stressful to maintain a justified mindset with several factors takin into account with the different needs and positions expressed on this board.  Certainly a worthy discussion.  Hope we fish someday...keepin’ it real..be well... :smt006

you just dont share that harmonica buddy  :smt002
Deal, keep them lungs strong... :smt006
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

Deepwater

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2019
It’s sounding like SIP might not be lifted until mid May. 
How long can we all handle no fishing? Especially once April 1 comes.

*not mentioned yet is a possibility of car accidents, fishing accidents, kayaking mishaps. All of which can land you in the ER with covid patients. And your family won’t come see you in the hospital!

I understand that risk is something we all factor in our normal decision to go kayaking

So...I don’t know!

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
Hmmm....
71% in the poll are not gonna travel to go fishing.  I guess that means there's no more crowding for the other 29%.  Problem solved! 

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
Hmmm....
71% in the poll are not gonna travel to go fishing.  I guess that means there's no more crowding for the other 29%.  Problem solved!

:smt001 Thats one way to look at it LOL

I really hate to see my friends who fish a lot have to miss out.  I rarely go these past few years, so it's no sweat for me to say I won't go.  My vice is skiing.  Man am I bummed they shut down the mountain on a weekend we got a 3' dump.  With each new snowfall, my heart breaks.  I know it's the same for you fishaholics!

Mojo Jojo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
Hmmm....

:smt001 Thats one way to look at it LOL
Remember Washington state boys, be discreet, safe, and solo.

2013 Jackson Big Tuna.........Ours
2011 Native Mariner Propel 12.5...His
2015 Native Slayer Propel 13.......Hers
20?? Emotion ,Sparky.....7 yr old grandson's
Event Coordinator
Heroes On the Water
North Oregon Coast Chapter
Team C.O.D. FISHING (Crazy Old Dudes)just for forum fun challenges

• a funguy
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2019
I changed my vote. I feel that as long as you're not putting excess stress on our medical support you are doing yourself a favor getting out and enjoying the fresh air. That being said, close to home trips without having to refuel at the gas pump, buy extra gear, etc. make the most sense. I'm pretty discouraged by people not respecting (or completely ignoring) the shelter in place protocol... Not the time. We are extremely lucky to live during the modern era with all these great comfort recreational opportunities. Suffer a little. It isn't bad! Think about the folks that had to go fight in WWI during the Spanish flu. This shite is a cakewalk.
Remove the Klamath River dams!

SteveS doesn't kayak anymore

• grumpy ex-kayaker
  • Sea Lion
  • winter sturgeon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
We've stopped anything that is risky enough that a mishap would land us in the hospital, and keep it local. No solstice or nail trail, no night rides.
Luckily fishing is local, but the ramps have been packed.

Now they closed all our local parks access due to the covidiots from SF and the east bay. Stay local, don't tax the health system seems prudent

I'm not doing it for me, but more for my 80+year old neighbors, my nephew who has CF, and cousin who is a Type 1 diabetic.

(This from a guy that was exposed twice in a week to the damn thing before they made us wfh)

Malibu_Two

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
We've stopped anything that is risky enough that a mishap would land us in the hospital, and keep it local. No solstice or nail trail, no night rides.
Luckily fishing is local, but the ramps have been packed.

Now they closed all our local parks access due to the covidiots from SF and the east bay. Stay local, don't tax the health system seems prudent

I'm not doing it for me, but more for my 80+year old neighbors, my nephew who has CF, and cousin who is a Type 1 diabetic.

(This from a guy that was exposed twice in a week to the damn thing before they made us wfh)

You don't think anyone from San Rafael or Novato added to the crowds last weekend?
May the fish be mighty and the seas be meek...

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Here's the question again: 

During this SIP order, is it OK to travel outside of your local area to fish?
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.