Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 10:42:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:19:49 AM]

[Today at 09:05:07 AM]

[Today at 05:58:28 AM]

[May 19, 2024, 10:48:03 PM]

[May 19, 2024, 10:38:11 PM]

[May 19, 2024, 10:21:04 AM]

by Clb
[May 19, 2024, 09:23:49 AM]

[May 19, 2024, 07:12:15 AM]

[May 18, 2024, 07:33:15 PM]

[May 18, 2024, 07:29:46 PM]

[May 18, 2024, 04:56:39 PM]

[May 18, 2024, 12:06:29 PM]

[May 18, 2024, 07:37:45 AM]

[May 17, 2024, 11:20:54 PM]

[May 17, 2024, 08:41:33 PM]

[May 17, 2024, 07:13:03 PM]

[May 17, 2024, 10:29:52 AM]

[May 17, 2024, 09:32:27 AM]

[May 17, 2024, 09:08:12 AM]

[May 17, 2024, 07:00:12 AM]

[May 17, 2024, 06:57:59 AM]

[May 16, 2024, 08:43:30 PM]

[May 16, 2024, 06:11:52 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: catchin smelt  (Read 4112 times)

jonesz

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
Ok I don't know what I'm doing wrong this year, but I can't seem to drum up any smelt with my sabki rigs this year...? Got any suggestions or tips what works for you? A particular sabki brand, color, chum, bait...?  :smt102 I haven't been tipping with any squid this year either, but I remember doing fine without it before. Keep seeing bait on the graph, but striking out on the sabki.
Thanx, Jonesz

Dale L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
As someone who just doesn't haven't any experience making bait I'm interested in any advice as well, I've tried a sabiki a few times with 0 bait to show for it, once in Tomales bay on the flats around the grasses and once all over the place off Doran beach, from sandy bottom to along the jetty rocks to around the wash rocks at the east end of the beach.

So some tips would be appreciated.

mickfish

• Global Moderator
  • Fish & Chill
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Have you tried trolling the Sabiki?
Group IQ is inversely proportional to the size of the group.

A Steelhead always knows where he is going, but a Man seldom does.

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Have you tried trolling the Sabiki?

Do that!!!

And tip with squid bits.

-Allen

KZ

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Kunz's Reel Rods
I've never tipped with squid, but I have experimented with different sizes.  In my experience, using the smallest size sabiki works way better than the larger (more durable) sizes.  Trolling and casting the rig can work well.   Also, using the metal from a kastmaster or similar spoon as the bait can't hurt... creates some flash.

Never tried chumming, but that would be a good thing to try.  I've heard that puttig out a can of cat food (punch holes in the lid) makes some great chum. 
2006 Elk Tourney Champion
2006 Angler of the Year 3rd Place

Kunz's Reel Rods
www.kzreelrods.com

Acts 10:13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Trolling definitely works.  If your still not finding them deadstick your sabiki and fish for your target with artificials so youre not wasting valuable time.  Bait will eat you sabiki while you drift, and then once you find bait, make it.

polepole

• Administrator
You asked about color too.  I only ever use the fish skin type with green glow beads.  And I usually don't have a problem picking up at least a few pieces of bait.  That being said, I don't know how the red beads compare as I think I've ever only bought one pack and never even opened it.  So I'd be interested in other people's thoughts on color.

-Allen

Eric B

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
I've had luck before drifting a small Super Duper with no weight..

Dale L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
I've got some tiny super dupers, I'll give em a try.

for jack smelt in the bay ( or the ocean as well) do they like open areas or should I look around structure like piers, and jettys and such?

dale

polepole

• Administrator
for jack smelt in the bay ( or the ocean as well) do they like open areas or should I look around structure like piers, and jettys and such?

Yes, all of the above.  In my experience they can be found almost anywhere.

-Allen

POLARCAT

• Team Bridgeport - Full Contact. No Impact.
  • Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2008
In San Diego/ La Jolla I've used sabikis with a "diamond jig" to make bait.  I've also used a simple 2 or 3 loop surf rig with super small trout hooks to catch larger smelt.  That small mouth was an issue though.
Lovin' every minute of it!!!

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
i've had luck making jumbo smelts pretty much everywhere from SC down to monterey.  Usually weight it down with a chrome jig for the flash.

deadsticking works, but also reeling up quickly seems to get their juices flowing.  but pretty much anything will work once youve found em

Eric B

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Dale, you might want to switch out the treble on the super duper...  the one I used was swapped to a single.  They have really tiny mouths.  But the bigger ones are fun on ultralight gear.

jonesz

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
Well I've tried trolling/casting. Had success in the past with that, but not much this year. I use a 1 ounce chromed weight on the bottom for flash. I've drifted while fishing for the main quarry, I've chummed sometimes, been over balls of bait on the graph with pelicans diving all around and nadda?? :smt102 It's been frustrating wasting fishin time trying to make bait.... :smt012 I do like the super duper idea tho. Maybe it's just not my year.... As for cat food. What flavor have you found to work the best? Tuna? Maybe I gotta break out the squid...

FishinJay

• Sunrise Prowler 15
  • Sea Lion
  • Indecision may, or may not, be my problem...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2006
I've had the best luck with 2 or 3 size 10 hooks with a little piece of pile worm on each run 3 to 4 feet under the surface, but I imagine that putting pile worm on a sabiki would work just as well. This also gives you a good chance at picking up a shiner perch for bait if you're near structure.
Searching is half the fun: life is much more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party. -Jimmy Buffett