Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 07:01:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:01:31 PM]

[Today at 06:05:56 PM]

[Today at 03:56:50 PM]

[Today at 03:38:07 PM]

[Today at 03:22:32 PM]

[Today at 01:56:07 PM]

[Today at 09:11:17 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 08:31:45 PM]

[April 28, 2024, 08:28:43 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 08:05:07 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 07:20:26 AM]

[April 26, 2024, 09:45:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 05:53:58 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 03:16:26 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 02:51:06 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 07:57:00 AM]

[April 25, 2024, 09:32:50 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 03:18:45 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 01:17:52 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 07:16:05 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 09:45:12 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Poll

Should electric motors be allowed in AOTY?

Yes
21 (51.2%)
No
20 (48.8%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Voting closed: February 22, 2024, 04:04:31 PM

Topic: Electric Motors in AOTY  (Read 2584 times)

The Kraken

• Team Bridgeport
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2009

it really is just a matter of time. There were many folks that felt this way when Hobie pedal drives first came into play in tournaments.

Of course, there are many who stand by the paddle yaks. Props to them.

Most of my fishing crew have been paddling over 30 years so when the young guy of the group got a hobie we of course gave him shit. I refer to him as a "Recreational Pedal Boat Guy" not a kayaker.   :smt001  He of course gives us shit when we want to come in when it's getting windy or we don't want to go on the long paddle to get to a new spot, etc. Good fun. Having said that and as much as it pains me, I still have to call our pedal brother a kayaker because he's using his own power to propel himself. Once a motor goes on a yak it becomes a small power boat. I mean they actually have to register it as a boat. So my issue is less with the fishing advantage in AOTY, but just that a PB guy in a kayak angler tournament isn't putting in the same physical effort as those of us who actually kayak.

As someone mentioned though, we aren't playing for prizes and it's free now so...

As for age adjustments, hell no. Kayak fishing is one of the few sports a 65 year old can compete with a 25 year old. I'm 55 and I fished about a month and a half at the end of the season last year, managed 6 species, a couple big fish and a solid rainbow. If I ever got off my ass and got back to the ocean I could possibly be competitive. And one of the most impressive AOTY winners I can remember, was Otobepelagic. I can't remember his age at the time, but he was into his 50's at least and submitted one of EVERY SPECIES! That's an impressive fishing year.

"Even though pedals are human powered it is definitely an advantage over paddle power."

I guess I agree as far as trolling goes, but that's about it. If you look back at the AOTY winners, a lot were paddle guys (kayakers)  :smt004  with solid scores. And the all time AOTY score is from a paddler.   :smt003

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2020
As for age adjustments, hell no. Kayak fishing is one of the few sports a 65 year old can compete with a 25 year old. 

Honestly, at 39, I think most of the 65 year olds have a pretty big advantage over me. Not only do they have more years fishing experience, but most folks that age are retired or at least semi-retired and their kids are mostly out of the house by then too.
- Kevin

spaghetti

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2019
electric motors, yes...included them. Who knows, may need to hitch a ride, lol

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005

it really is just a matter of time. There were many folks that felt this way when Hobie pedal drives first came into play in tournaments.

Of course, there are many who stand by the paddle yaks. Props to them.

Most of my fishing crew have been paddling over 30 years so when the young guy of the group got a hobie we of course gave him shit. I refer to him as a "Recreational Pedal Boat Guy" not a kayaker.   :smt001  He of course gives us shit when we want to come in when it's getting windy or we don't want to go on the long paddle to get to a new spot, etc. Good fun. Having said that and as much as it pains me, I still have to call our pedal brother a kayaker because he's using his own power to propel himself. Once a motor goes on a yak it becomes a small power boat. I mean they actually have to register it as a boat. So my issue is less with the fishing advantage in AOTY, but just that a PB guy in a kayak angler tournament isn't putting in the same physical effort as those of us who actually kayak.

As someone mentioned though, we aren't playing for prizes and it's free now so...

As for age adjustments, hell no. Kayak fishing is one of the few sports a 65 year old can compete with a 25 year old. I'm 55 and I fished about a month and a half at the end of the season last year, managed 6 species, a couple big fish and a solid rainbow. If I ever got off my ass and got back to the ocean I could possibly be competitive. And one of the most impressive AOTY winners I can remember, was Otobepelagic. I can't remember his age at the time, but he was into his 50's at least and submitted one of EVERY SPECIES! That's an impressive fishing year.

"Even though pedals are human powered it is definitely an advantage over paddle power."

I guess I agree as far as trolling goes, but that's about it. If you look back at the AOTY winners, a lot were paddle guys (kayakers)  :smt004  with solid scores. And the all time AOTY score is from a paddler.   :smt003

He was well into his 60's at the time. Being mostly genetic, the facial disfigurements had very little effect on his pedaling ability.
Yeah though I gotta agree it's really not fair for a "contest" if someone is powered vs not powered.

Bushy

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
There is no one using the Sail division as far as I know (unless NWM wants to compete with me?) so if we wanted a free for all I'd say just have the two divisions, Free and Free for All  :smt003 It also wouldn't take much to implement, vs trying to add multiple additional games. Then we could see if once and for all a motor produces more points than no motor.  I agree a motor can have an advantage, but it's only if you use it to compete and still get lucky.
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

Weimarian

• Sea Lion
  • The fish, I hear them! work can wait! let's go!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
yup, it's time. soloskiffs? :smt006
Come on out! It's time to play. It's time for TROUT Bass and STRIPER. Let go of the hand brake!

The Kraken

• Team Bridgeport
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2009
There is no one using the Sail division as far as I know (unless NWM wants to compete with me?) so if we wanted a free for all I'd say just have the two divisions, Free and Free for All  :smt003 It also wouldn't take much to implement, vs trying to add multiple additional games. Then we could see if once and for all a motor produces more points than no motor.  I agree a motor can have an advantage, but it's only if you use it to compete and still get lucky.

That's a good idea. It's not really being used, a way to include all and a great way to capture separate data at least for the first year?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2024, 06:53:17 PM by The Kraken »

Jewli0n

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Having more than one division makes absolutely no sense when like 20 people participate overall. Let’s boost participation by making ONE AOTY more inclusive, and if it takes off then we can talk about fragmenting into categories in future years.
@julianmariano

Weimarian

• Sea Lion
  • The fish, I hear them! work can wait! let's go!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Having more than one division makes absolutely no sense when like 20 people participate overall. Let’s boost participation by making ONE AOTY more inclusive, and if it takes off then we can talk about fragmenting into categories in future years.
I might get on it more if I could use my electrics. I don't do salt much anymore but do fresh water a lot...
Come on out! It's time to play. It's time for TROUT Bass and STRIPER. Let go of the hand brake!

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
So was a decision made?  Lots of good debate here, but we still seem pretty evenly split, according to the vote anyway.
- Kevin

JoeDubC

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2020
I was against it on principle but I would like to see more participation so now I’m for it, but maybe add an asterisk if the winner is motorized. Or maybe add a 200pt handicap to the overall total.
Hobie i9
'21 Hobie Outback Papaya

ThreemoneyJ

• Sea Lion
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2014
I sort of forgot when the end date was of the survey. I thought it was March 1  :smt001

Looks like electrics get a shot in 2024 with a 2 month handicap  :smt003

I’ll make a post about it.
-John
Angler Of The Year is currently free!!
NCKA Angler of the year (AOTY)link http://aoty.norcalkayakanglers.com/
NCKA AOTY how to link https://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=62574.0
Send me a message if you want to be signed up for AOTY

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Does this qualify?

Could probably get to the fishing spot faster than me, haha.
- Kevin

fishbushing

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2018
Does this qualify?

A motor is a motor  :smt003
-Jason

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Does this qualify?

A motor is a motor  :smt003

I don't see why not.  It's a motorized kayak  :smt003
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

anything