Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 02:11:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 05, 2024, 11:01:16 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:21:31 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 08:00:47 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 06:41:33 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 04:42:12 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 01:30:36 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 11:50:56 AM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:21:59 AM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:03:44 AM]

[May 05, 2024, 09:10:35 AM]

[May 05, 2024, 08:03:37 AM]

[May 05, 2024, 06:34:21 AM]

[May 05, 2024, 02:42:39 AM]

[May 04, 2024, 10:50:54 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 08:32:14 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 06:25:48 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 05:21:33 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Sacramento 10/22 nonyak  (Read 2346 times)

wizz

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
Indicator fishing for trout.
On my way back to the coast, I had originally planned on floating the Trinity but figured if I was by myself I would try something new. Needing to learn how to indicator nymph with a fly rod (only done bug and bubble with spinning gear) I figured rainbows on the Sac would be as good a place as any. Redding was on the way so hooked up with a guide and hit the river.

And the fishing was excellent.
Caught fish on rubber legs, trout beads, and pheasant tails. Double digit landed, some didn't get to the boat and some I was late. All in all I felt pretty good getting the "set on every movement" of the indicator, the dead drift, and now know wher the trout are hangin during the salmon spawn. Now I can feel confident adding it to the repertoire. I know its good for the trinity and inland rivers, do any of yall use this on  the coast with egg patterns and such for steelhead?
80 degrees and here is the biggest.   :smt003

edit: sorry for the sideways photos, posting with phone and not sure how to set them straight.
"The howling tide of unreason beats against pure fact with incredible fury"-Terrence Mckenna

ScottV

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Sounds like a great trip.  Who did you use, couple of the guides up there are my buddies.
So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

---------------------------------------
Dark green OK Trident 13

2014 FreshKATS Clear Lake 6th place on the fly
2014 King of the Port 2nd place on the fly
2014 FAOTY Fly Angler of the Year
2015 FreshKATS Rollins Lake Round-Up 1st place on the fly!
2015 FreshKATS Tournament of Champions 2nd place of the fly

bwodun

nice wizz, been awhile since ive done that, but always a good day, thanks for sharing, cameron

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Right on, Matt!   :smt001
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

wizz

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Sounds like a great trip.  Who did you use, couple of the guides up there are my buddies.

Older fella named Mark. Definately helped me get a grasp on the technique.
"The howling tide of unreason beats against pure fact with incredible fury"-Terrence Mckenna

jbaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
Any tips on the set up? I'm looking at floating from possey grounds to Anderson river park next weekend. We're taking kayaks if anyone is interested in joining us.

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Thanks for the report and pictures Matt.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

ScottV

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Any tips on the set up? I'm looking at floating from possey grounds to Anderson river park next weekend. We're taking kayaks if anyone is interested in joining us.

More than likely indicator with a pegged egg and a little weight to get it down.
So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

---------------------------------------
Dark green OK Trident 13

2014 FreshKATS Clear Lake 6th place on the fly
2014 King of the Port 2nd place on the fly
2014 FAOTY Fly Angler of the Year
2015 FreshKATS Rollins Lake Round-Up 1st place on the fly!
2015 FreshKATS Tournament of Champions 2nd place of the fly

fisheducator

• Sea Lion
  • North Valley Slayers
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
Sounds like a great trip Wizz, what was the name of the guide service and how much $, I may be hiring a guide soon so I can learn the river faster.
T.L. Tim
Remember to practice safe knots, because big fish don't just break your line, they also break your heart.

wizz

• Salmon
  • View Profile

Fly line to a 30lb 1 1/2'butt section, indicator attached to this section to adjust depth, 5-6' nontapered leader attached to butt, split shot, then rubberlegs, then 1' to an egg pegged 2" above hook, then either a small nymph or another bead 1' below that. Any little twitch is a hook set, cant be afraid to snag.

I was trying to picture how to fish it from a yak, its a big river so stop and wade might be tough. I Would definately want to try and rig an anchor, dont know how you could stay on the salmon reds without one.

Sounds like a great trip Wizz, what was the name of the guide service and how much $, I may be hiring a guide soon so I can learn the river faster.
T.L. Tim

Guides are a valuable learning tool IMO on rivers. On the ocean you have eloctronics, charts, radios etc that you dont have on rivers. Growing up in Alabama teachs zilch about the kind of water fish hold in in these western rivers, so a guide can speed up the learning process for me.

I booked through The Fly shop, and Mark was a really nice, patient fella that made for a low pressure experience. Can definately recommend him.

fisheducator

• Sea Lion
  • North Valley Slayers
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010

Fly line to a 30lb 1 1/2'butt section, indicator attached to this section to adjust depth, 5-6' nontapered leader attached to butt, split shot, then rubberlegs, then 1' to an egg pegged 2" above hook, then either a small nymph or another bead 1' below that. Any little twitch is a hook set, cant be afraid to snag.

I was trying to picture how to fish it from a yak, its a big river so stop and wade might be tough. I Would definately want to try and rig an anchor, dont know how you could stay on the salmon reds without one.

T.L. Tim

Guides are a valuable learning tool IMO on rivers. On the ocean you have eloctronics, charts, radios etc that you dont have on rivers. Growing up in Alabama teachs zilch about the kind of water fish hold in in these western rivers, so a guide can speed up the learning process for me.

I booked through The Fly shop, and Mark was a really nice, patient fella that made for a low pressure experience. Can definately recommend him.

Thanks Matt, I'm a newbie at flyfishing so the learning process starts  :smt002, I will try and decipher the info. posted and go for it. I agree that a good guide will help a lot. This great tailwater is in my backyard and is tough to fish from shore, and not too easy from a yak but given the right tools could be outstanding.
T.L. Tim
Remember to practice safe knots, because big fish don't just break your line, they also break your heart.

pindo124

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2007
Agreed that the lower Sac is tough to wade fish - but it works! Over the years I've hit quite a few of the spots you can legally wade - and some you can't - and caught some really nice fish.

One thing that you can do wading is swing, or do some deep drifting while keeping a tight line. I know everyone talks about indicator fishing this water, but a Teeny line & a caddis fly or 2 fished as deep as you can get them can get some really nice fish.

I'm really interested in floating it in a kayak. I think there are numerous spots where you can pull over in the shallows, drop anchor & wade fish without ever getting out of the water. And a lot of those areas don't get as much pressure, as folks just float thru them.

For anchoring, one thing I use is a drag chain. I mostly use a 5' piece of 3/8" chain (that's the diameter of the metal making up each link) - so it's pretty hefty. 50' of rope, and it will mostly hold my kayak in fair current if I'm pointed straight upstream. Because it's chain it's less likely to hook up on something, but that means it will slip on you, so I tend to look for water with a bit less current to anchor in.
Bill

jbaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
There's a lot of spots through town where you can pull in to an eddy and fish. Proper paddling skills and river knowledge are key but its totally doable. Beaching the kayak is another option or my personal favorite, Back on the kayak on the shore in a slow spot and fish from the kayak, if you hook up you can shimmy the kayak free and fight the fish. Either way yea we need to put some time on the river.

golfish

• Salmon
  • ¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
Nice trip! Lower Sac has been pretty stellar all year. If you can put up with the crowds now is a great time, eggs and legs under the indibobber will kill. If it was closer I'd fish it all the time but it's a loooooooong day trip and I save my overnighters for steelhead. My day trips are Yuba and Stani this time of year.

The Flyshop will give you a free map of some easy to access lower sac spots from shore. Keswick is pumping 6700cfs which is a slightly high for wade fishing but you could probably find some spots.

I like to swing flies for trout like Bill mentions too, can cover lots of water. When fish start getting active on the surface I like to swing softhackles in the film rather than going full dry fly, much success doing this.

I know its good for the trinity and inland rivers, do any of yall use this on  the coast with egg patterns and such for steelhead?

Nymphing with a bobber kills everywhere, I used to do it exclusively but now I like to swing if possible or tightline. I took the 33" steelie in my avatar tightline nymphing a rubber legs in a coastal at 250CFS. Fished the same way I would fish trout but with heavier gear and different flies. Master the bobber and you can always come back to it when nothing else is working.

Blue Eddyline Caribbean 14 + Torqeedo Ultralight 403
Sunrise OK Trident 13

jbaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Thanks for the info. I tried nymphing with a bober, Rubberlegs with an egg pattern under them, birds nests, tan poopas, and a few others for nada on sunday. Didn't even get a single bite. I'll figure it out one day