Kayak Zone > Places to Launch and Camp

Moss landing for rockfish >50 fathoms with new 2023 depth regulations

(1/2) > >>

The Gopher:
With the new groundfish regs, I'm looking at Moss Landing as a possibility for when the central management area closes shallow water in October. With the big canyon there, it looks like one could get out to 300 feet in less than a mile and try for rockfish and lings. I've read plenty about the potentially gnarly launch so this is only something I'm considering for a very flat day with favorable tides.

Looking at this handy dandy marine map: http://fishing-app.gpsnauticalcharts.com/i-boating-fishing-web-app/fishing-marine-charts-navigation.html?title=SANTA+CRUZ+SMALL+CRAFT+HARBOR+boating+app#13.07/36.7944/-121.7877

Does that sound like a feasible plan? Are there rockfish and lings in the deep canyon there? Anybody try this?

Never been out of Moss Landing, but it's been on my list and hopefully 2023 is the year.

Bulldog---Alex:
I have tried rockfish out of moss in the canyon. Not very productive. I think it is much easier for deep water out of monterey. Launching out past lovers point would be my bet if i was kayaking.

NowhereMan:

--- Quote from: Bulldog---Alex on December 16, 2022, 02:38:30 PM ---I have tried rockfish out of moss in the canyon. Not very productive. I think it is much easier for deep water out of monterey. Launching out past lovers point would be my bet if i was kayaking.

--- End quote ---

+1

Bushy:

--- Quote from: NowhereMan on December 16, 2022, 02:52:24 PM ---
--- Quote from: Bulldog---Alex on December 16, 2022, 02:38:30 PM ---I have tried rockfish out of moss in the canyon. Not very productive. I think it is much easier for deep water out of monterey. Launching out past lovers point would be my bet if i was kayaking.

--- End quote ---

+1

--- End quote ---

+2

Bulldog---Alex:
Now fishing for salmon is a different story. If you follow the.reporrs closely , they can come in as close as a mile, the problem is as you probably know, the ocean is very volatile in April. Always try and pair up if fishing moss

Alex

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version