Kayak Zone > Places to Launch and Camp

Can I sleep in my car near the Santa Cruz harbor?

(1/3) > >>

NowhereMan:
It seems like a lot of surfers sleep in their cars along highway 1 outside of town, but is it legal to sleep in a car in town, say, close to the harbor? My car is small, but actually comfortable for sleeping. So, I was thinking I might sleep near the harbor to avoid waking up my family (and others in my neighborhood) when I leave at 4:00am…

&:
Only a law-abiding man worries about abiding with the law...  :smt003

By that I mean the only person who gunna sweat the lawfulness of sleeping in ur car for a few hours is prolly only u

NowhereMan:

--- Quote from: & on March 22, 2023, 07:09:45 PM ---Only a law-abiding man worries about abiding with the law...  :smt003

By that I mean the only person who gunna sweat the lawfulness of sleeping in ur car for a few hours is prolly only u

--- End quote ---

OK, but I'd still be interested to know, just for the record. As I understand it, there is no car-sleeping restriction at the state level in CA, but there are some local restrictions. From what I see on the Internet (which never lies), the SCPD used to be pretty aggressive wrt not allowing people to sleep in cars (which might explain why the surfer-sleepers are so common outside the city limits), but have recently become much less so.

When the X-man sailed his TI across the bay from SC to Monterey, he left is car parked near the harbor for a couple of days. When I asked about leaving a vehicle parked along the street, I was told that nothing would happen for at least 72 hours, and then only if somebody complained. But, that's not quite the same as catching some Z's...

fishemotion:
One morning awoke from the vehicle and perused the sand. A glorious day ensued. Actually can't think of many days that it wasn't really worth it.. van life  :yak

NowhereMan:

--- Quote from: fishemotion on March 22, 2023, 08:02:15 PM ---One morning awoke from the vehicle and perused the sand. A glorious day ensued. Actually can't think of many days that it wasn't really worth it.. van life  :yak

--- End quote ---

Yes! And I don't even have a van...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version