Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 03:38:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:08:23 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 09:51:18 PM]

[May 13, 2024, 09:18:31 PM]

[May 13, 2024, 09:12:36 PM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:44:23 PM]

[May 13, 2024, 05:08:57 PM]

[May 13, 2024, 04:35:30 PM]

[May 13, 2024, 02:26:27 PM]

[May 13, 2024, 01:51:05 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 03:14:18 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Upper Letts Lake 4/14/2024  (Read 310 times)

Tpowell707

• Salmon
  • View Profile Deadliest Kast Fishing
  • Date Registered: May 2021
The Family and I were looking to put some dirt under the rig and break in the new truck tires, so we loaded up lunch and hit the road looking to make it up to Upper Letts Lake. The last trip my son and I took to the lake there was a massive land slide blocking the road. That was around a year ago..... The road up to the lake (Bear Valley Rd) is currently loaded with Wildflowers as far as you can see. Absolutely beautiful! As we made the last leg of the journey, about 2 or 3 miles from the lake, we encountered a "Road Closed Sign" same area as the year prior. I thought no way the road is still closed! Passed the sign and saw some Forestry Trucks and Trailers. Got to the slide area and they are still working on clearing the road. They got about 20 ft into the 100 ft slide or so. Big slide about 5 to 6 ft tall x 100 ft. They made some progress but still working on it. I suspect that the road will be open in time for "summer". Maybe memorial day?? Lake campground show "open".... At this point I was committed to making it to the Lake. So we back tracked down the mountain. M5 is a back way to the lake but a lot more rugged of a trail, which I was happy to take! Back roads where in pretty good shape except for a handful of trees partially blocking the road. Would not have made it to the lake in a full-size truck, a couple of spots we were very close to the edge of the mountain. As we got close to the lake a layer of snow showed up! Almost a foot or so! Made it to the lake! Had a quick lunch and wanted to hit the road prior to dusk. With the mountain road conditions I did not want to drive out at night. Brought the rod and wanted to fish a minute but it was COLD! Successfully made it down the mountain and added about 20 pounds of mud onto the truck! New Nitto Ridge Grapplers handled the roads with no issues! Looking forward to camping and fishing on the Lake soon!! Great Spot and looking forward to exploring more trails and backwoods' fishing spots in the area!!

Tight lines and safe Travels!

T
« Last Edit: May 13, 2024, 02:05:29 PM by Tpowell707 »
Deadliest Kast Fishing Deckhand

Vibe Shearwater 125- Team Blue

2nd Place-2022 Albion Open

"One doesn’t discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time." André Gide.

Rock Hopper

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Global Moderator
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2005
Nice!

If you ever want to hit any of the trails up there (or anywhere else) let me know. With a day or two notice I can go any time.
I've been solo camping up there a bunch over the last few months.

In Loving Memory of Mooch, Eelmaster, Shicken, and Cabeza De Martillo

I started kayak fishing to get away from most of you...

Tpowell707

• Salmon
Will Do, I like to make solo trip up their as well but always nice to have second rig for those tough trails and been wanting to explore more remote areas! What kind of rig do you have? Still have upgrades I want to get done but a work in progress, been working on the Taco since 08'.  :smt003 Morels should be coming up too!!

"One doesn’t discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time." André Gide.

Rock Hopper

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Global Moderator
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
I have a '22 4Runner Off Road and pretty much all the recovery gear I need, minus a winch.

Pics here:
https://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=100939.0

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2020
Sounds like a fun adventure!  My schedule is too all-over the place to get away for a whole day or two, but at some point in the next few years I will definitely be doing some stuff like this. 

New Nitto Ridge Grapplers handled the roads with no issues!

I've got RGs on my F150 - great tires.  I have probably 25k miles on them, but not much off-road.  Honestly, hardly any wear yet.  Great traction on everything I've encountered, and reasonably quiet on pavement. 
- Kevin

Rock Hopper

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Global Moderator
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile

Tpowell707

• Salmon
Nice set-up! Just installed a Apex Badlands 12,000. Got to use it a couple of times helping to tow some cars, one in town stuck in the middle of a residential neighborhood and another half way up Bartlett Springs road. Great price point and hear great things. So far no issues for me! Pretty much have everything you may need while exploring off-road.

Next upgrades that I am working on are:
Installing new rear shocks to replace the POS Les Schwab installed years ago (Been working on removing all their "upgrades" I did, not knowing better) Toytec is where I have getting my new suspension parts from.
Rock sliders
Second battery
Biggest upgrade coming is a new truck pop up camper to replace my Snug Top https://www.orudesignsusa.com/bruin

If your in the Santa Rosa Area I suggest YotaPro as a mechanic. Great guy extremely trustworthy! Has done some great work for me:
Rebuilt the top end 2 years ago
Rust removal/rebuild over the front window
Exhaust re-route/ upgrade
Rear diff rebuild
Suspension upgrades and much more small items. If anyone needs his contact send me a DM

Hope to saee you on the trails!

Tpowell707

• Salmon
Here's a report from Cody and my trip over Lovelady Ridge.

https://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=100717.msg1130239#msg1130239

:smt007

I know each spot you took a pic at!!  :smt044 The fam and I love this area but have been avoiding camping around IVR since we had a bullet tumble over our camp a couple of years back.

anything