Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 02:35:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 02:09:20 PM]

[Today at 01:30:36 PM]

[Today at 12:55:58 PM]

[Today at 11:50:56 AM]

[Today at 11:20:29 AM]

[Today at 10:21:59 AM]

[Today at 10:03:44 AM]

[Today at 09:10:35 AM]

[Today at 08:10:12 AM]

[Today at 08:03:37 AM]

[Today at 06:34:21 AM]

[Today at 02:42:39 AM]

[May 04, 2024, 10:50:54 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 08:32:14 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 06:25:48 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 05:21:33 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 09:54:38 AM]

[May 04, 2024, 08:22:51 AM]

[May 04, 2024, 07:15:26 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: 2024 Groundfish Regulation Change Summary (Approved on 3/26/2024)  (Read 1188 times)

123engineering

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2017
Thank you Paul, the information you gave is great, I'll have to digest it. This will be new for me as last year we just fished off a boat. looking forward to a kayak adventure. I'll review the past post and look for the GPS points, I may have some questions to post, thanks again for your work on this, R.
Hi Ron

We should chase some rockfish and halibut together, this season.

Paul
Paul C.

YouTube: Kayak Fishing Couple
2018 Hobie Oasis Papaya & Grey
2022 Hobie Outback Papaya
2017 Hobie Outback Camo Sold
2014 Hobie Revolution 13 Red - Sold
CVN-72 Abraham Lincoln
2013 & 2019 Subaru Outback White

dan916

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2018
I picked up one of these descenders from Amazon. Makes it easy to release them at the right depths. Just set the depth you want them to be released at and then drop it down.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00DMKCF76/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
Integrity first, Service before self and excellence in all we do.

All gave some, some gave all. You will never be forgotten!

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
I picked up one of these descenders from Amazon. Makes it easy to release them at the right depths. Just set the depth you want them to be released at and then drop it down.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00DMKCF76/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
Dang that’s nice.  I have one of those grippers.  Mod life?  I wonder if there are any government funds to subsidize that purchase. :smt005 :smt006
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

123engineering

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2017
Dang that’s nice.  I have one of those grippers.  Mod life?  I wonder if there are any government funds to subsidize that purchase. :smt005 :smt006
Hi Eddie

I know that CDFW distributed descenders for free previously, and I discussed with CDFW staff to get some for our group, but they stated that they don't have any funding for the program.
Hopefully, we can get some later.

Paul
Paul C.

YouTube: Kayak Fishing Couple
2018 Hobie Oasis Papaya & Grey
2022 Hobie Outback Papaya
2017 Hobie Outback Camo Sold
2014 Hobie Revolution 13 Red - Sold
CVN-72 Abraham Lincoln
2013 & 2019 Subaru Outback White

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
I really like this design, although you have to BIY: https://www.dfw.state.or.us/MRP/recompression/docs/FishGrip_HowToMake.pdf
(Thanks to 3$j in: https://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=89347.30)

The videos on its usage just looks like what i'm imagining doing on my kayak:

I have some thin poly-rope and I want to mount it on a spindle or some way I can just clip the rockfish and then descend it by dropping overboard

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Thanks Al!  I love it, especially the weight.  My hesitation is mandatorily adding up to 32oz of lead to my platform for an unverified life expectancy of said released species.   :smt006

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2020
I think I'm gonna make device - I have some fairly heavy duty stainless wire just looking for a purpose.  I found this one recently, seems like a good evolution of the Shelton device:

https://www.amazon.com/SeaQualizer-SeaYaLater-Descending-Device/dp/B0CFVXM47Z

I might try to emulate this, but if I feel I can't get the angle/slide right, I will probably just make something similar to the Shelton. 

Thanks Al!  I love it, especially the weight.  My hesitation is mandatorily adding up to 32oz of lead to my platform for an unverified life expectancy of said released species.   :smt006

Carrying around extra gear is gonna be a pain.  Especially getting a couple extra pounds to the bottom and back quickly and with minimal hassle.  I hate clutter on my kayak, especially in the ocean. 

I have a pretty stiff Ugly Stik that will see fish release duty.  Currently has a round baitcast reel on it, might get upgraded to a conventional reel if I can find a cheap lefty model. 
- Kevin

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004

What do you mean by unverified?  There is plenty of science to back up the survival rates.

-Allen

JoeDubC

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2020
I've descended even a 20"+ Yellow Eye on 10oz. It took a bit to get him started but once they go down about 10 feet they seem to be able to keep going. That was in only about 60' of water though, so maybe that helped. I think Coppers and maybe Quillbacks go down easier. I plan on having only 12 oz on my Shelton and if that doesn't work then I could add another 10. I cannot see 32oz ever being needed. Maybe for a huge YE in 50 fathom plus? 50 fathom plus is where the survival of barotrauma seems suspect anyway.
Hobie i9
'21 Hobie Outback Papaya

srdave

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2011
Ya agree about the clutter on the kayak for sure
Im going to use a heavy Duty 2ft old fishing rod n reel and a 12oz weight. I can usually get the fish to go back down on its own so its not going to be that bad. Plus I do believe if the fish is in fair shape these will help with survival rates.

Clayman

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
Fellas. If you really care about the well-being of a big YE or other rockfish you want to release, please pack the extra lead. I know that packing extra lead is a PITA, but you'll get used to it. It really sucks when you're trying to descend a big old rockfish and you don't have enough lead with you to do it.

I'm speaking from experience. Pulling up YEs from 100 ft. I learned this lesson the hard way, and I felt real shitty about it. Bring five pounds, and you won't have to worry about floaters. Do it for the fish, and for your fishery. If not, these nearshore rockfish seasons could be taken away again due to noncompliance with the regulations.
aMayesing Bros.

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Fellas. If you really care about the well-being of a big YE or other rockfish you want to release, please pack the extra lead. I know that packing extra lead is a PITA, but you'll get used to it. It really sucks when you're trying to descend a big old rockfish and you don't have enough lead with you to do it.

I'm speaking from experience. Pulling up YEs from 100 ft. I learned this lesson the hard way, and I felt real shitty about it. Bring five pounds, and you won't have to worry about floaters. Do it for the fish, and for your fishery. If not, these nearshore rockfish seasons could be taken away again due to noncompliance with the regulations.

+1000

-Allen

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2020
I'm gonna carry plenty of lead, just gonna gripe about it, haha. 
- Kevin

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Alrighty then…5lbs. It is… :smt006

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

Mark L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
Anyone who surf launches needs to take caution when carrying 5lb balls.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2024, 04:34:17 AM by Mark L »
2018 Eddyline Yellow Caribbean 14 Angler

anything