Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 06:28:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:44:18 PM]

[Today at 05:08:57 PM]

[Today at 04:50:50 PM]

[Today at 04:35:30 PM]

[Today at 03:35:44 PM]

[Today at 02:26:27 PM]

[Today at 01:51:05 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 05:50:54 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 03:14:18 PM]

[May 10, 2024, 10:34:49 PM]

[May 10, 2024, 09:50:31 PM]

[May 10, 2024, 08:04:41 PM]

[May 10, 2024, 07:53:03 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Poll

Should electric motors be allowed in AOTY?

Yes
21 (51.2%)
No
20 (48.8%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Voting closed: February 22, 2024, 04:04:31 PM

Topic: Electric Motors in AOTY  (Read 2683 times)

ThreemoneyJ

• Sea Lion
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2014
For 2024 as a test run should we try electric power in AOTY?

Entries have been down since we went away from a paid platform to a free platform, and I would like to get more people involved. I’m hoping that opening it up to electric power might expand upon the amount of people who would/could compete.

I know that there are some people who hate the idea of power in AOTY, and some who want to do AOTY but can’t because of having a powered kayak.

A lot of  major kayak tourneys and series have gone electric power. Hell even Hobie has announced that they are allowing power in the Hobie bass open series. They have been anti power forever. Times sure seem to be changing.

My vote is to let powered kayaks play. I hope it gets more people involved.

The powered kayak isn’t going to get you out of bed at in the middle of the night to drive crazy miles and hours to chase fish. It isn’t going to find the fish for you. It isn’t going to make the fish bite. Chasing down 10 quality fish is a huge commitment and anyone who does so deserves recognition, powered kayak or not.

Please if you are interested in AOTY let me know what you think.
-John
Angler Of The Year is currently free!!
NCKA Angler of the year (AOTY)link http://aoty.norcalkayakanglers.com/
NCKA AOTY how to link https://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=62574.0
Send me a message if you want to be signed up for AOTY

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2020
Maybe allow exceptions based on age, specific disabilities, etc? Or create a separate category for motorized?
- Kevin

Mark L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
One of the reasons I only used my motor once last year was for AOTY points. I would be ok for their use for all, or for those over 65 years of age.
2018 Eddyline Yellow Caribbean 14 Angler

JoeDubC

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2020
I'm against it. For certain fish it's a huge advantage. For others, not so much. But generally I see a motorized kayak as more similar to a motor boat in spirit than a non-motorized kayak. Although when I'm fishing with motorized kayak guys I don't judge and get along just fine.
I'm okay with sail kayaks being included in the non-motorized division.

But if we really need to bring in motorized, maybe they start with a minus 100pts or -10% of points to try to equalize things.
Hobie i9
'21 Hobie Outback Papaya

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Since no prizes for the winners and free entries for everyone,   IMO we will get more participation and fishing reports + pictures if we allow all kinds of kayaks.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
How about a separate “open” category, where pretty much anything goes (sail, motor, whatever)?
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Separate category gets my vote.

However it goes down, all good.   :smt001
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

Plug-n-Jug

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2021
I'm for inclusion. I'm 64 and physically unable to use a peddle kayak for more than a hour. In order for me to join the AOTY, I would be forced to paddle. In my eyes that puts me at a disadvantage to those with peddle capability. I would not be opposed to a special category for beat up old dudes like me and others.
Kevin
I fish, therefore I Cuss and Lie!

bbt95762

• Sea Lion
  • fresh and saltwater
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2021
philosophically, against it.  Electric motor is much different than grinding it out (peddle or paddle).
if someone has a physical disability and  blue card from DMV, I'd be open to that.

just my 2c.

after reading convincing arguments from Jewlion, Corey, and Scotty...I've changed my vote to a yes.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2024, 12:52:47 PM by bbt95762 »

Jewli0n

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Devil's advocate here--what if some people don't want to disclose their disability status for the sake of what is really just a fun game amongst friends? When is that power really going to be make or break in terms of catching fish? Salmon trolling all day? I put in 10+ hour days on the Revo--Do batteries really run that long at 2MPH trolling? I just don't see it being a huge fish-catching advantage. Let 'em play. Lets not overcomplicate this by making two seperate games, or proof of disability, that will devalue the spirit of AOTY. Bet the 2024 winner does it by being an excellent fisherman, not by having a motor.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2024, 09:13:28 AM by Jewli0n »
@julianmariano

Jewli0n

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Also, if you voted no in this poll, you better be playing this year or your vote doesn't count  :smt001
« Last Edit: January 23, 2024, 11:49:33 AM by Jewli0n »
@julianmariano

Slamson

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2016
How about a separate “open” category, where pretty much anything goes (sail, motor, whatever)?

This, and include spearfishing
DOTY 2020 - 4th place
DOTY 2019 - 1st place
DOTY 2018 - 4th place

Corey

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2016
Participation in this event has seemingly gone down every year, even with no entry costs. Anything we can do to increase it, I'd be in favor of. I've fished with more than a few people with Bixbys, Torqeedos, etc.  At no point did I feel they had an advantage over me, even as an older guy.

We accept every other technical advantage, including live scope (is that still fishing?). Winning this contest (I have a sense of what it takes) is still going to be about a willingness to get on the road, fish a lot of new locations, learn to fish species you know little about and probably lean on a friend or two for guidance. It's not going to be about who has a small motor.

I say bring 'em on.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2024, 11:57:46 AM by Corey »

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2021
Since no prizes for the winners and free entries for everyone,   IMO we will get more participation and fishing reports + pictures if we allow all kinds of kayaks.

I agree, let's get as many folks participating as possible.

I'll still be sticking with coffee powered kayaks though, unless there's a special category for "motorized canoe but with a 4 y/o onboard as a handicap"

Bulldog---Alex

• Sea Lion
  • 27.4 lb Cali Hali
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
Participation in this event has seemingly gone done every year, even with no entry costs. Anything we can do to increase it, I'd be in favor of. I've fished with more than a few people with Bixbys, Torqeedos, etc.  At no point did I feel they had an advantage over me, even as an older guy.

We accept every other technical advantage, including live scope (is that still fishing?). Winning this contest (I have a sense of what it takes) is still going to be about a willingness to get on the road, fish a lot of new locations, learn to fish species you know little about and probably lean on a friend or two for guidance. It's not going to be about who has a small motor.

I say bring 'em on.

This. Times are changing. I agree that just because you have a motor that you will be going out of your way to compete. My opinion. If you can climb the leader board and win it. Maybe there should be a non-motorized and motorized winner. Nothing wrong with that.
Enjoying the fam
PA14
Revo 13
Hobie Outback