Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 03:57:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 03:08:35 PM]

[Today at 03:08:16 PM]

[Today at 03:07:58 PM]

[Today at 02:48:07 PM]

[Today at 01:36:15 PM]

[Today at 12:36:47 PM]

[Today at 10:08:10 AM]

[Today at 09:34:21 AM]

[Today at 08:13:57 AM]

[May 02, 2024, 10:09:54 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 09:13:28 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 10:34:13 AM]

[May 02, 2024, 08:03:44 AM]

[May 01, 2024, 09:06:36 AM]

[April 30, 2024, 09:10:03 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 03:32:29 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 02:15:19 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 10:36:12 AM]

[April 29, 2024, 09:16:05 PM]

[April 29, 2024, 07:01:31 PM]

[April 29, 2024, 01:56:07 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: New Ocean Fishing Buddy Checklist  (Read 3343 times)

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Now here is the big question - if you are out with a buddy, what gear can you reasonably leave behind if you know they have one?
I kind of ponder this a lot.  I go out with intention of being self sufficient, since I'm out alone most of the time. 

I think if you have a partner, you should at least between you two have at least one of these:
Spare paddle - If you have a hobie, the paddle is your spare.  If you only have a paddle, better have a backup as well in case something happens to your paddle.
Bilge Pump - Even though I've only ever used it on someone else's kayak, I never feel comfortable leaving without it. 
Throw Rope - If your with a buddy, you might have a reason to throw a rope for assisting or towing their kayak
Cutters - For the unfortunate time you get hooked while fishing

Water should also be on the original list now that I think about it.  I don't always drink it, but I always bring it.
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

christianbrat

• "Top 3 Spot Burner" according to Nick Fish
  • Sea Lion
  • Christian
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2019
id move the whistle to the required section, you need a noise-making signaling device by law iirc
Current Fleet
- 1989 Arima Sea Explorer w/ custom Pilot House
- 2018 Hobie Revolution 13

Historical Fleet
- 1985 Hobie PowerSkiff 15'
- 1975 Valco U-14
- 2009 Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT

AlsHobieOutback

• Administrator
  • View Profile
+1, whistle is probably the smallest and cheapest thing that could save your life.

AlsHobieOutback

• Administrator
  • View Profile
+1, whistle is probably the smallest and cheapest thing that could save your life besides a compass 

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2020
Now here is the big question - if you are out with a buddy, what gear can you reasonably leave behind if you know they have one?
I kind of ponder this a lot.  I go out with intention of being self sufficient, since I'm out alone most of the time. 

I think if you have a partner, you should at least between you two have at least one of these:
Spare paddle - If you have a hobie, the paddle is your spare.  If you only have a paddle, better have a backup as well in case something happens to your paddle.
Bilge Pump - Even though I've only ever used it on someone else's kayak, I never feel comfortable leaving without it. 
Throw Rope - If your with a buddy, you might have a reason to throw a rope for assisting or towing their kayak
Cutters - For the unfortunate time you get hooked while fishing

Water should also be on the original list now that I think about it.  I don't always drink it, but I always bring it.

I used to ride bicycles over relatively long distances, both alone and with others. Weight and space are both critical for carrying gear on a bicycle, so when riding with others, it is common to distribute the load. One person carries a repair kit, and the other carries snacks. Both carry water. Hat and sunglasses are also crucial for me, along with sunscreen.

I don't carry a bilge pump, but that's because I can't reach any of my hatches from the cockpit. So, for that to be of use for me, I've already capsized.  I do have 4 large pool noodles stuffed in my hull though, which I am confident will keep the kayak afloat if the worst happens.  I think I would need to stuff the hull to the brim with pool noodles for them to displace enough water to keep me upright, if I had a major puncture below the waterline. Even then, I'm not sure it would have the desired effect, at least not with my kayak.

I do carry side cutters, water, and at least two propulsion methods everytime.  This is in addition to my fishing kit, which has pliers. In theory, if I embedded a hook into my flesh, I could probably cut it close to the skin, leave the point in, and make my way to shore.  I should probably try cutting a 4/0 hook sometime just to see how much force it takes with the side cutters, and asses from there.  I also keep a whistle, line cutters, and radio clipped to my PFD, which I wear all the time on the kayak.

I also keep about 10' of line attached to both front and rear grab handles on all my kayaks - I can toss to someone else without even leaving my seat. I've been out at Alamada with my son (14) before, and towed him in when it got windy and he got tired - makes that a lot easier if the lines are already connected to the kayaks.

If out with a partner, it's probably also best to discuss the timeline for the day before launching, and a meet up point if you get separated/lose sight of each other. Happens quickly sometimes, good to have a plan.
- Kevin