Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 07:56:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:15:01 AM]

[Today at 02:25:49 AM]

[May 02, 2024, 10:09:54 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 09:13:28 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 03:03:07 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 10:34:13 AM]

[May 02, 2024, 08:03:44 AM]

[May 01, 2024, 09:06:36 AM]

[April 30, 2024, 09:10:03 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 06:36:16 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 03:32:29 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 02:15:19 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 10:36:12 AM]

[April 29, 2024, 09:16:05 PM]

[April 29, 2024, 07:01:31 PM]

[April 29, 2024, 01:56:07 PM]

[April 28, 2024, 08:31:45 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Eddyline Caribbean 14FB came home, my first new yak in 12 years.  (Read 4763 times)

Fish N' Chips

• Salmon
  • Hobie Adventure
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
I went up to Headwaters Kayak today. Great shop, well stocked and friendly staff. They happened to have a couple Eddyline 14fb in stock.  I got to take out one for a demo and bought the demo! Lol.  I liked the yum yum yellow (I like high vis kayaks), and it was the only yellow they had in stock.

I found the new seat amazing.  Always liked my old clip in cloth seats fine but after sitting in one of these newer beach seats the kayak manufacturers are going to I am sold.  The kayak is very stable, much more than my Adventure and paddles smooth and fast.  It walks a bit on really hard paddling but thats to be expected.  The full length keel tracks very nice, even without a rudder.  I liked the room in the cockpit!  I could easily move around and sit cross legged, swing my legs over the side, get in and out of the kayak, and reach into the back.  I even stood up!  Then I got cocky and kneeled and spun to the rear well to show my wife something and fell out, lmao.  Luckily I was in 8” of water so just soaked my pride.

The weight is very nice!  50 lbs means much easier loading and toting around land, especially as I am still dealing with my shoulder surgery recovery.  I can lift it easily and its nothing to pull around on my cart. It will be great for long walks down the hills to the beaches or lakes.

I already did a simple rigging. I plan to keep this kayak very minimal.

It was not the “fishing” model but a couple flush mount rods holders fixed that.  I like the T rails and added another 4” rail to the back for some scotty gear head mounts and my flag/light.  I already have so many scotty items and rod holders I figure I would use what I had.

I had an extra transducer for my fishfinder.  The deep keel on this wont accept a foam water bath so went with some E6000 and glued the transducer in place.  I may have messed up as we are headed out tomorrow afternoon for a trial. I normally wait 24-48 hrs to let it cure, but its 112 right now so likely it will be well cured by tomorrow!  I set the transducer in the rear keel of the kayak so it’s out of the way in case I need to put rods in the hull for surf launching.

I used some bolts and slid them into the T rail and mounted a small extra ram plate I had.  Eventually I need to pick up some more T bolts.  Now I can use my same fishfinder and battery pack on either kayak.  Added in a gland nut for the fishfinder wires and glued/tightened the nut in place. 

I still need to figure out new clip locations for my game clips, rod leashes and fish finder leash. 

Rigging only took a few hours but was miserable in this heat.  I am excited to get it out for some fishing!   I still love my Hobie Adventure and it has its place for covering long distances and trolling, or fighting wind/current.  This is going to be for alot of salt fishing as well, crabbing, trout and bass fishing; but more of a simplistic kayak for easier trips when I have long walks, need a lighter boat, weedy ponds/lakes and just quick trips where I don’t feel like taking so much.  I am hopeful its a good addition to the fleet.  I admit it was fun paddling again!

Transducer glued and taped down for a cure, made a well for the glue out of tape.

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Congrats on your new ride.  I had 1 of these Eddilines and love it.  Unfortunately I had to reduce my fleet.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

li-orca

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2019
Beautiful. All that shiny light stuff (fiberglass?) makes it look like a Porsche 🏎
Luck favors the prepared

2019 Revo 16

fishbushing

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2018
Congrats on the new boat! She's purrty :smt007
-Jason

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Beautiful. All that shiny light stuff (fiberglass?) makes it look like a Porsche 🏎

Not fiberglass, it's thermoformed ABS, as apposed to the more usual rotomolded polyethylene.

I used to have an Eddyline and loved it, but had to get rid of it due to lack of space. My brother recently got one, and he uses it for bass fishing in the midwest. He reports that it's way better than the barge he used to paddle...
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

Fish N' Chips

• Salmon
  • Hobie Adventure
  • View Profile
I took it out today after staying up late rigging.  The fish finder worked great.  I was sitting side saddle fishing and saw some bubbles by the scupper.  What I though was a scratch in the deck is a crack 😢

Shop is making it right. New kayak on the way (but a month out).  They will fix this one for me to use until it arrives.  I think it was likely shipping damage, too many boats stacked up most likely.  I have found breaks in Ocean Kayak and Hobies right off the floor too, so know this stuff happens.  Still its disappointing.

I really liked how the kayak paddles.  It glides through the water.  Takes a little effort to turn but tracks great which is nice.  I wanted to go for kokanee but did not want to head out to deep water with the crack.  I stayed in the coves and worked for bass and pan fish. Caught a few but all were small.

I found the shorter boat and having the paddle was great around the shallow coves, getting in and out of grassy/weedy areas, and working the bank. 

fishbushing

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2018
That is a bummer and glad they're going beyond making it right  :smt007
-Jason

Rock Hopper

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Global Moderator
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2005
Congrats on your new ride.  I had 1 of these Eddilines and love it.  Unfortunately I had to reduce my fleet.

And now it's hanging from the ceiling in my garage.  :smt002

In Loving Memory of Mooch, Eelmaster, Shicken, and Cabeza De Martillo

I started kayak fishing to get away from most of you...

Fish N' Chips

• Salmon
  • Hobie Adventure
  • View Profile
How have your boats held up over time to fishing use?  I am careful with my gear but can only be so careful with beach launching and landing.  I know the material has been used on touring kayaks for years.  My roto-molded kayaks have held up well.  I am hoping this holds up about the same.

I admit it was fun to paddle and get back to my roots.  The more complex some of our boats become, its nice to have something a but more simple and easy.

Rock Hopper

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Global Moderator
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2005
My white one gets the majority of the use and it's held up fine. I don't even really baby it as much as I used to and I haven't noticed any real deep gouges on the hull....just normal scratching from being dragged on cement launches.

In Loving Memory of Mooch, Eelmaster, Shicken, and Cabeza De Martillo

I started kayak fishing to get away from most of you...

Mark L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
I use mine pretty hard dragging in over all kinds of stuff, and it has held up well. I did add some protection at the front and rear of the keel. I used Gator Patch but it is pretty brittle, and some small chunks have broken out from being dropped(softly). I recommend that you add something, here is some info about the Gator Patch: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=89069.0
2018 Eddyline Yellow Caribbean 14 Angler

Fish N' Chips

• Salmon
  • Hobie Adventure
  • View Profile
Thanks, I will grab some gator patch when my new boat arrives.  No use putting it on the “loaner”.

I am excited to try out the lighter kayak on some of my backwoods trout lakes.  It will be a lot easier access being able to carry the kayak through the woods.  I found the seat made a pretty good head rest for portages.