General > CA Regulations

Mussel Fee Stickers for Boats

(1/1)

Hojoman:
May 3, 2024

Question: I’m new to boating. Why do I need to purchase a mussel sticker?  

Answer: The mussel fee sticker supports quagga/zebra mussel infestation prevention efforts throughout the state to protect the environment, recreational access and the economy. CDFW and other agencies’ prevention efforts include outreach and education, early detection monitoring, installation and staffing of watercraft inspection stations and boat cleaning and decontamination stations.

DMV-registered vessels (boats) must display a current mussel fee sticker unless they are only used in marine coastal waters. Law enforcement can cite watercraft for not having the current decal, and marinas may deny launching vessels that do not display a current sticker.

The revenue generated from the sale of the stickers is administered by the California State Parks Division of Boating and Waterways (DBW). The Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) handles the sticker purchase process, and CDFW provides biological expertise to support DBW’s grant program and supports water agencies in their development of mussel prevention programs.

The mussel fee sticker payment of $16 is available through the DMV or by visiting DMV field offices or AAA offices for members.

NowhereMan:
I didn't know that there was such a thing. I assume this applies to motorized kayaks and would apply to my AI, if I registered it...

Fuzzywuzzy:

--- Quote from: NowhereMan on May 03, 2024, 09:56:53 PM ---I didn't know that there was such a thing. I assume this applies to motorized kayaks and would apply to my AI, if I registered it...

--- End quote ---

Yes, unless you don't plan to launch in freshwater for the year.

AlsHobieOutback:
just another fee

SpeedyStein:

--- Quote from: AlsHobieOutback on May 04, 2024, 06:32:00 AM ---just another fee

--- End quote ---

Yup.  When I realized I needed this for my little tin boat, I thought there was some sort of inspection required. Nope. Literally just pay the $12 or whatever and they mail you a sticker.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version