Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 11:28:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:05:37 PM]

[Today at 07:59:32 PM]

[Today at 06:30:10 PM]

[Today at 05:11:37 PM]

[Today at 02:59:57 PM]

[Today at 10:47:14 AM]

[Today at 10:41:39 AM]

[May 06, 2024, 07:41:04 PM]

by ark
[May 06, 2024, 07:35:15 PM]

[May 06, 2024, 05:30:34 PM]

[May 06, 2024, 04:22:01 PM]

[May 06, 2024, 12:12:45 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 11:01:16 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Quick reviews on shops where I buy stuff for traveling and fishing  (Read 475 times)

myyak8me

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2016
Campways, Sacramento - SnugTop camper shell
I bought this about a year ago and the rear door which is supposed to lock/unlock from the door lock buttons and key FOB - never worked right. Went back 5 times and tried to get Snug Top involved (They would never respond to me.) Campways, after a year and 5 trips (from Davis to Power Inn road) finally got it fixed... but not before telling me over and over it really doesn't work the way the manufacturer describes it for new trucks.  Well, it works now - so they did fix it. It has been a weird experience and I'm not sure anyone is different in this particular industry.  I can't recommend them - but I'm not sure who I would go to instead.

Adventure Sport-Kayak City
I've bought a few Hobie's over the years from these guys plus a butt-load of accessories.  I generally like them.  And the stuff that have installed on my new boats has all been done well.  However, when I bought a new fish finder and needed help with the installation on a boat that wasn't new but I did buy from them -  they let me know they didn't care to do it - but if I was willing to pay an outrageous amount - they'll get a guy to get it done.   I know these folks have to make money but the message was clear - we don't want to work on anything but new boats and the pricing drives that point home. I'm disappointed in them. I do not dislike them but at this point would not recommend them.

Fisherman's Warehouse, Folsom Blvd, Sacramento
I wrote about my new Elite 7" fishfinder in a previous post.  To make it short I went into Bass Pro originally and talked to the guy behind the counter about wanting the Elite FF but needing it with the sonar/downscan transducer not the triple shot.  He literally just turned his back and walked away from me.  Went to Fisherman's Warehouse and they knew exactly what I was talking about and put it all together for me, including the adapter cable I needed... and all of it was in stock.

Further, I didn't realize the power requirements for the unit and the second time I used it crashed but it was my fault.  I took it back to Fisherman's warehouse and Allen (who seems to know this stuff inside and out) reset it for me and showed me how to do a few other things with it. I can happily recommend them.  I try to go there now and buy my fishing stuff from them. 

Headwaters Kayak, Lodi
When I couldn't get Adventure Sports-Kayak city to help on my fishfinder I went to Headwaters.  They were great and got it done for a reasonable price.  Further, just a few days ago before a trip I had scheduled I developed a short in the system on my Revo and couldn't figure it out.  I called them and asked if they could fit me in and help get it fixed... and they did: They saved my trip!  I will buy another Hobie next spring and it will be from their related company in Redding.  I will also go to them for any accessories and kayak related items.  They are a great store.  Always friendly and they are kayak fishermen. I also happily recommend their shop for kayak stuff. I have also done some business over the years with California Canoe and Kayak and can't really give them a recommendation either.  Headwaters, in my experience is the best shop for kayaks and accessories.

Well, there it is. I know these businesses have to make money so everything can't be free. I've tried to be fair and wouldn't mind hearing what other NCKA folks are finding from the shops they do business with.  And I wouldn't mind getting recommendations from around the Bay Area so when I'm running around I have an idea where I can go and shop if I have to.

If the post is inappropriate for some reason or in the wrong place please advise me and I'll move it or delete it.  Thanks