Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:33:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:20:26 AM]

[Today at 06:48:15 AM]

[April 27, 2024, 10:16:45 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 03:01:59 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 01:55:25 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 09:45:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 05:53:58 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 03:16:26 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 02:51:06 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 07:57:00 AM]

[April 25, 2024, 09:32:50 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 06:57:02 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 03:18:45 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 01:17:52 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 07:23:39 AM]

[April 25, 2024, 07:16:05 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 09:45:12 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 11:46:31 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:38:46 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:16:10 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 06:30:45 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Scammers  (Read 500 times)

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
 :smt013 :smt013  :smt013

Had someone call from 408-963-5952 and say they were from the Santa Clara county Sheriffs department and said I had two warrants for failure to appear for jury duty summons.  They were very insistent that I was in serious trouble and needed to prove that I wasn't the one that signed a certified letter for the summons.  They started instructing me to stay on the phone and get ready to drive down to the office while still on the phone.  I started getting suspicious there, but as soon as they said that I had a bail that would need to be paid I decided to accidentally drop the call, and then try and call the number back which went to a empty mail box. They called repeatedly and asked why I got disconnected and I confronted them as scammers, and hung up.  They texted a lot of profanity in response. 

Dang, I cant believe that I belived them for a minute there... Hopefully no one else falls for this.
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

calhafi

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2007
Two months ago our street in Capitola got the same call. Luckily I work closely with the Sheriff Department and when I asked specific questions they got extremely defensive and rude, called them out. They got much farther with our neighbors, but I happen to see them leaving in a rush and told them it was a scam. What a fun surprise for the scammer to hear me take the call when they called my neighbor back, a lot of profanity.

Not sure how they do it, but they were calling most home owners on our street.

Report filed with Sheriff and Capitola PD.

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
:smt013 :smt013  :smt013

Had someone call from 408-963-5952 and say they were from the Santa Clara county Sheriffs department and said I had two warrants for failure to appear for jury duty summons.  They were very insistent that I was in serious trouble and needed to prove that I wasn't the one that signed a certified letter for the summons.  They started instructing me to stay on the phone and get ready to drive down to the office while still on the phone.  I started getting suspicious there, but as soon as they said that I had a bail that would need to be paid I decided to accidentally drop the call, and then try and call the number back which went to a empty mail box. They called repeatedly and asked why I got disconnected and I confronted them as scammers, and hung up.  They texted a lot of profanity in response. 

Dang, I cant believe that I belived them for a minute there... Hopefully no one else falls for this.

Did you report this incident and their phone number to the fraud authority?
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
What a scam!

Personally, unless I recognize the number, I let all calls go to voicemail. Most of them won't even bother to leave a message, and if they do, it's a lot easier to ignore, as you're not caught off guard.
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

Hojoman

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
I can't believe you called the number. Felt guilty? :)

AlsHobieOutback

• Administrator
  • View Profile
I can't believe you called the number. Felt guilty? :)
I called back the number, they called me originally and wanted me to stay on the line.  But it is true they had me a bit concerned that I did actually have some failure to appear for jury summons, because I know that I missed at least one request during 2021/covid.  It is embarrassing afterward, but they really did get me in to a state of confusion up until they started trying to get me to go get a bail bond.  While on the phone I tried googling the number and wasnt' coming up with anything.  So when I hung up and called back and the voicemail box wasn't a receptionist or a IVR system I knew it was a hoax.  I'm not falling for anything like that again, and hope no one else does ever.  My dad was scammed by people claiming he won the Publishers Clearing House claiming that he won a million dollars.  Scammers that prey on people like this are the scum of the earth.

AlsHobieOutback

• Administrator
  • View Profile
What a scam!

Personally, unless I recognize the number, I let all calls go to voicemail. Most of them won't even bother to leave a message, and if they do, it's a lot easier to ignore, as you're not caught off guard.
I'm in this camp as well, most of the time.  But I've made a bunch of appointments recently and have had people actually calling me for things.  But this might inspire me to use my google voice number for things that I care about.

bbt95762

• Sea Lion
  • fresh and saltwater
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2021
yah, it's crazy right now.  Tough enough for those of use with our minds still working well.  My father is having memory issues etc. and unfortunately has fallen for some of these scams.

Bulldog---Alex

• Sea Lion
  • 27.4 lb Cali Hali
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
yah, it's crazy right now.  Tough enough for those of use with our minds still working well.  My father is having memory issues etc. and unfortunately has fallen for some of these scams.

Yes. I speak regularly with my Dad about scam calls and emails. Glad he calls and asks me what I think. He almost fell for a Las Casita, R.V. trailer scam. It was at a ridiculously low price in southern cal. If it sounds to good to be to true....
Enjoying the fam
PA14
Revo 13
Hobie Outback

anything