Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 06:49:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 02:25:49 AM]

[May 02, 2024, 10:09:54 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 09:13:28 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 03:03:07 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 10:34:13 AM]

[May 02, 2024, 08:03:44 AM]

[May 01, 2024, 09:06:36 AM]

[April 30, 2024, 09:10:03 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 06:36:16 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 03:32:29 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 02:15:19 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 10:36:12 AM]

[April 30, 2024, 09:08:11 AM]

[April 29, 2024, 09:16:05 PM]

[April 29, 2024, 07:01:31 PM]

[April 29, 2024, 01:56:07 PM]

[April 28, 2024, 08:31:45 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Petrale Sole on Sonoma Coast?  (Read 1936 times)

• View Profile transitionsfromwar.com
  • Date Registered: Apr 2021
Hey everyone, I’m looking to catch some Petrale sole out on the Sonoma Coast. Not asking for spots, just if they are generally here. I hear people saying look for sandy bottoms over 100’ deep. Anyone catching them out of Bodega?
‘22 Hobie Mirage Compass- Papaya
Marine Corps Veteran

li-orca

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2019
I once spoke to a commi at the HMB fish market. They were loaded with them and starry flounder. They told me they catch them at 300ft if I remember correctly. I never fished for them myself. Good luck!
Luck favors the prepared

2019 Revo 16

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
I’ve caught a few, but never intentionally. I’ll be interested to hear how people actually target them. They are great eating…
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

ThreemoneyJ

• Sea Lion
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2014
Hey everyone, I’m looking to catch some Petrale sole out on the Sonoma Coast. Not asking for spots, just if they are generally here. I hear people saying look for sandy bottoms over 100’ deep. Anyone catching them out of Bodega?

The issue with bodega bay is the SMCA. You can only troll for pelagic species in that area, which is the deeper sandy water in range of a kayak. You could go due south along the SMCA line, but it doesn’t get as deep. I’ve tried there a few times without success.

At any rate there are flatfish in Sonoma county. I have found them further north than bodega bay head straight out to deeper water away from the rocks and rockfish areas.
-John
Angler Of The Year is currently free!!
NCKA Angler of the year (AOTY)link http://aoty.norcalkayakanglers.com/
NCKA AOTY how to link https://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=62574.0
Send me a message if you want to be signed up for AOTY

WillFo

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
At any rate there are flatfish in Sonoma county. I have found them further north than bodega bay head straight out to deeper water away from the rocks and rockfish areas.

I've though about this, but I wonder what the attitude of DFW is going to be toward people transiting rockfish areas and fishing shallower that 300' with gear which could be used just as well for catching rockfish. How well is "but I'm targeting flatfish" going to fly?

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2020

I've though about this, but I wonder what the attitude of DFW is going to be toward people transiting rockfish areas and fishing shallower that 300' with gear which could be used just as well for catching rockfish. How well is "but I'm targeting flatfish" going to fly?

I've also been thinking about this - I intend to fish for CA halibut in Pacifica before rockfish season opens.

I think it will all come down to what species you have on board.  Otherwise, seems like they can't really enforce this.

How have they handled this in past situations, or with other species? 
- Kevin

Jewli0n

• Salmon
  • View Profile

I've also been thinking about this - I intend to fish for CA halibut in Pacifica before rockfish season opens.

I think it will all come down to what species you have on board.  Otherwise, seems like they can't really enforce this.

I don't see why it would be an issue. If you fished for flatfish but continued to incidentally catch rockfish the regulations require you to move. Otherwise, if you're fishing for flatfish, and catching flatfish, what would the problem be in the eyes of the warden?
@julianmariano

WillFo

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015

I don't see why it would be an issue. If you fished for flatfish but continued to incidentally catch rockfish the regulations require you to move. Otherwise, if you're fishing for flatfish, and catching flatfish, what would the problem be in the eyes of the warden?

"if you're... catching flatfish"

Well there's your problem right there. I'm probably not going to catch anything, so I'll just look like an unsuccessful rockfish poacher! :smt005

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I'm just saying that a three way setup normally used for halibut can also catch all of the species in the RCG complex, and jigs usually used for rockfish can also catch halibut. So, regardless of year on board, it kinda depends on what you tell the warden and what fish you have on board. I'm not gonna worry about it too much, but also not going to fish over areas that I know hold rockfish. 

My plan, next time I go to Pacifica, is to drop crab traps in sandy areas hoping for dungees, then drift/troll around my traps hoping for halibuts, knowing that they like sandy areas too.
- Kevin

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
I think the only problem comes when you are targeting rockfish purposely.
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

Clayman

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
It comes down to the warden's discretion. If they watch you through binoculars sore-lipping dozens of rockfish and refusing to adjust your tactics or location, then yeah, you'll probably get a warning. But I don't think they'd write you a ticket unless you were keeping the rockfish.

Really, I think you'll get more hassle from other anglers than the warden. They'll probably assume you're fishing for rockfish and may come over to give you grief about it. Just be prepared for that.
aMayesing Bros.

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
I think the only problem comes when you are targeting rockfish purposely.

I’ve always wondered how “targeting” could be enforced. The places I like to fish for halibut are also filled with rockfish and the way I fish, I always ends up hooking more RF than halibut, even when I try to avoid the RF schools. It makes me leery to fish for halibut outside of RF season…
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...