Kayak Zone > Kayaks

Old Town Big water 132 Peddle vs. Hobie outback for a first kayak ?

(1/4) > >>

Mooshue5000:
Old Town Big Water 132 vs Hobie Outback . 
13" 2"  Vs.  12' 6".   Propellar drive or Fin ?
Two major differences.  As well as lenghth.
Savings of a 1000 bill. Used demo oldtown
Brand new hobie ?s.

Saw a deal on a demo and wanted to save a thousand dollars.
And be safe and happy too.

So i want to crab,  rock fish, chase salmon, halibut in the ocewn waters.
Would i be safe and happy in the Old Town Vs the Hobie Outback ...

It would be my very first kayak and kayak purchase.
Ive spend hours on Youtube and on web watchin and learning and ive narrowed it down
To something like these.

Thioughts ?

troypearce@gmail.com:
I love my old town pdl120.   It is very stable but it is a pig.... never tried a hobie but most of the folks I fish with have them and like them as well.... think they are lighter than mine and my guess is that a big water 132 is probably even heavier and likely even more stable.

Troy

maethlin:
I have an old town pdl120 and a salty.

As troy said, PDL is so stable it's almost comical. When I had to do self rescue training, my kid was laughing at me because I had to work so hard to get the thing to tip.

The salty (despite being same size and similar dimensions with a lot of similar rigging) is an entirely different beast. Lighter, less stable, and blazing fast on the water. I really like both yaks, but now that I'm more experienced, I tend to favor the Salty because I don't worry about tipping that much these days. I wouldn't call the Salty unstable by any stretch (you'll find videos of people standing up and fishing on them, though I personally wouldn't do that, my balance isn't great).

I have never been on the Big Water 132 but from what I understand, it leans much more towards the Salty design than the standard Sportsman/Topwater PDL120. It sacrifices stability in favor of speed.

As far as propeller drive, I'm very happy with them (all the Old Town yaks have the same bullet-proof drive). Reliable as hell (as the warranty reflects) and they even float if you manage to drop it in the water for whatever reason. Instant reverse by just backpedalling is great too. I know Hobie owns the market but the only major advantage I see to them (and it is a significant one, depending on where you fish) is the fact that the fin-style drives can easily glide over vegetation without getting stuck, while propellers are definitely going to get stuck in heavy weeds. This is almost never an issue for me, but depending on the waters you frequent, may be a big deal.

Mooshue5000:
Okay fantastic thankyou for the comeback .

I bought the Old Town Demo 132 PDL Sportsman Big Water.
Its from the sportsman show this year at Cal Expo Display boat.
Never seen a drop of water.  Minor scuffs not even scrapes.
I went thru everything top too bottom. Got too pedal it dry while
It was up on the stand.  I have nothing to compare it too so
can say much about the dry pedaling.

I paid 2200 plus tax.  It was listed for 2250 but i got
An extra 50 bux off just by asking for 50 extra bux off.  Hell Yeah.
So i think i got about 850 to 900 dollar total discount.  On the deal.
Even though its never been in the water they still have too sell it as
Used.

The seat seems kinda no frills but comfy enough.  Time spent will tell all.
My back is in good enough shape.  Not prone too pain.

Pro rated 5 year warranty on the drive.  And life time on the hull.  Hell yeah.

Tomarrow will be maiden voyage .  Just a put put around the local lake.
Ill post here with a report tomarrow.

Eddie:
Congrats...hope you can sleep tonight...don't forget to bring a fishing rod... :smt007 :smt006

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version