Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 07:27:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:15:26 AM]

[May 03, 2024, 11:24:10 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 10:04:16 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 09:53:25 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 03:08:35 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 02:48:07 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 09:34:21 AM]

[May 03, 2024, 08:13:57 AM]

[May 02, 2024, 10:09:54 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 09:13:28 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 10:34:13 AM]

[May 02, 2024, 08:03:44 AM]

[May 01, 2024, 09:06:36 AM]

[April 30, 2024, 09:10:03 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 03:32:29 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 02:15:19 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 10:36:12 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: WipEouT's Cuda Build-Up  (Read 12188 times)

WipEouT

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
Months ago, Calypso set out to find a boat which was more forgiving in the comfort arena.  To my surprise she purchased a Jackson Cuda from Headwaters and had arranged a demo for myself.  First trip was to Ft. Ross and I was really impressed with the stability and functionality.  Its heavier than my previous kayak, but still an easy paddle.  I was also pleased with its performance during surf launches and landings.  It wasn't long before I was a Jackson Cuda owner.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 10:09:31 AM by WipEouT »
Kenny

WipEouT

• Salmon
  • View Profile
First time on the water, enjoyed the accessibility of being able to place tackle boxes on either side if the seat.  A little later in the day had difficulty finding one of the tackle boxes and found it had slid under the seat.  So some nets were in order.

Kenny

WipEouT

• Salmon
  • View Profile
And, then there was the question of what fishfinder to purchase, where and how to mount it. 

Fishfinder:  After seeing the Lowrance Mark 4 rise in popularity, I decided that was the fishfinder.  I was first inclined to purchase the color screen; however, after seeing the color and black and white side by side in a store - I opted for the black and white.  The clarity of the black and white is something to see - very crisp. 

Where to mount:  I'm not the most flexible guy, and putting the fishfinder all the way forward on the deck on either side of the hatch was not an option for me.  I'm also a Scotty guy; however, realized with the RAM mounts I could bring it forward or push it back giving me a little more flexibility.

How to mount:  I had two goals; minimize holes in the boat and being able to do quick disconnects for surf launches and landings.  I opted for the Tallon Elite Socket Mount.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 10:11:19 AM by WipEouT »
Kenny

RHYAK

• Offshore fishing the Blue
  • Sea Lion
  • Picture, Catch and Release
  • View Profile Central Coast Kayak Fishing
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
I've been wanting to check out that Kayak I really like the set up.

WipEouT

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Power will be stored in the hatch below the fishfinder.  Picked up this power source from kayakfishingsupplies; complete with battery and quick disconnects - ready to go.  This will allow for all cords to be below deck without running cables through the hull.  The only hole needed, will be for the transducer.

Kenny

WipEouT

• Salmon
  • View Profile
RHYAk - this is a kayak you want to add to your demo list.

Hope to complete the transducer mounting later today.  I'm still contemplating what rod holder I want to go with and where to mount.  Also, have plans for a crab trap deck above the front hatch.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 10:12:48 AM by WipEouT »
Kenny

Kmilz

• Salmon
  • Miles- WS Tarpon 140
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2012
That Yak is really nice. The seat looks like its built for comfort.

sonoramike

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2012
Thanks for posting it up :smt006Where did you get the nets those are sweet.

Paddleboy84

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Headwaters Kayak Shop
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Thanks for posting it up :smt006Where did you get the nets those are sweet.

Headwaters  :smt002 they are a Jackson accessory.

Wipeout the boat looks awesome. I'm glad you guys are loving them so much.
Headwaters Kayak Shop Lodi CA, ran by paddlers for paddlers
Headwater Fishing Team Member

http://headwatersfishing.blogspot.com/

WipEouT

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Thanks all!

Mike, got them from Headwaters - complete kit, 2 nets with all the hooks and rivets.
Kenny

WipEouT

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Transducer installed.  Easy, but geez - like all folks with Cuda's we're in search of the best way to adapt a kayak transducer kit that was designed for round scuppers into oval scuppers.  I did not do anything revolutionary - took most of my ideas from the link Mike posted in another thread and some others from reading other threads.  Happy with the results.

Parts used:  Other than the Lowrance Kayak Trandsducer Kit, I bought plastic pole sockets which are used in closets and pipe insulator.

In the pack, one piece has a complete circle on the other side and one has a half circle.  Hang on to the full circle one and after the install fill it with Marine Goop and stick it on the inside of your kayak to seal the hole.  Use the half circle one in the scupper hole.

I took the horizontal piece, and tossed the rest away.

Kenny

WipEouT

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Next, is modifying some parts. 

This bracket will not fit up into the scupper far enough so your transducer is not sticking below the hull.  So it needs to be trimmed down, do a little at a time until you get the fit you need.  Be careful not to trim it down so far that the bolt holding the transducer rubs the scupper.  Also, you will need a shorter bolt.

Before:

After:

Next, break the clips off of this piece and file any protruding plastic down.

Kenny

WipEouT

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Attach the transducer to the brackets supplied with the kit and shimmy it up into the scupper.  It should be a snug fit.

Stick the foam into the scupper from above and run the transducer cord and plastic bolt through.

Now slip the pole socket, with the half circle on the other side, over the foam. 

Now place a metal washer over the pole socket.  As others have found, without a metal washer the plastic will bend as you tighten the screw down which does not allow the transducer cap to attach.

Take the modified part from the transducer kit and place over the washer and tighten down with the wing nut.

Install the transducer cap.

Kenny

WipEouT

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Last step is to decide where you want to run the cord through.  I'm happy with the location I picked; but, dont' do what I did - drill it higher - above the floor so if there is any water accumulation (very unlikely in a Cuda) under the seat, it will run over the ridge and into the front deck.  Hence my idea to use the full circle pole socket - filled it with Marine Goop and installed it inside the hull behind the wire cap.

Install complete.

Kenny

J-Bo

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2012
Nice job Wipeout! And thanks for sharing. I can't wait to get my Cuda set up. Actually, I can't wait to get a fish in it. It's still a virgin, unfortunately.

anything