Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 09:32:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:28:00 PM]

[Today at 09:15:17 PM]

[Today at 07:24:25 PM]

[Today at 05:45:23 PM]

[Today at 04:06:31 PM]

[Today at 03:38:07 PM]

[Today at 03:35:58 PM]

[Today at 10:16:35 AM]

[Today at 09:51:21 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 09:18:31 PM]

[May 13, 2024, 05:08:57 PM]

[May 13, 2024, 02:26:27 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Make your own rod leashes...?  (Read 2824 times)

I Zod Out

• I think(?) I got a bite!
  • Salmon
  • A Shark is already in the boat
  • View Profile I Zod Out
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014
I don't know "if" this has been posted here on NCKF B-4 but, I was forwarded this video from a member of the CCKF and I tried it and it IS "the trick"!

The credits go to Professor Salt for making the video, and to Mad Cat for the forward.

I Zod Out
Our world was NOT deeded to us by our forefathers... it was loaned to us by our children.

surfingdude

• Salmon
  • Silence is golden and duck tape is silver
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012

Aroneus

• Salmon
  • O.K. Prowler 13 (blue)
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
Yes!! I do the same thing - really thin bungee, and lots of stuff you can get at the hardware store... I keep them SHORT - no more getting tangled on the kayak!
Freelance Double & Electric Bassist, Music Educator, Kayak Angler.

Live your Dreams...

DG

• Sea Lion
  • First joined in 2013
  • View Profile
Thanks for the post. I have some line from an old weed eater I wasn't sure what to do with. 

Are the crimps he use with hammer any better or worse then the kind used with a crimping tool?
-----------------------------------
NorCAL HOW Volunteer

2018 NCKA - DOTY Committee Member

2017 DOTY 2 biggest fish awards
2016 DOTY 2nd place / 4 biggest fish awards
2016 Triton X - 2nd place
2016 Triton Open - Biggest Lingcod
2014 DOTY - 1 biggest fish award

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
I've given up on leashes.  I've seen my buddies get tangled on them at the wrong place at the wrong time.

I can still remember 3 occasions, we were done fishing and re-entering from a surf launch. Upon getting off their yaks one of their feet got tangled on those leashes.  Its a good thing somebody was around to untangle them or cut the leash.  The next wave would have rolled them leashed to their kayaks. 

Oh yah make sure you have a knife attached to your pfd.
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

I Zod Out

• Salmon
  • View Profile I Zod Out
Are the crimps he use with hammer any better or worse then the kind used with a crimping tool?

No, the hammer crimps are No better than the ones made for the crimping tool (I "think" they are the same anyway). I also think(?) an electrical grounding crimp would work just as well, but it would probably rust in time.

I have my first set boiling on the stove right now, and after I freeze, reverse twist, and rig them, I'll let you know if I lose any gear after the 1st of May, Ha!

I Zod Out

PS, the leash for the paddle probably should be a bit longer than the one for a pole or plier?

I Zod Out
Our world was NOT deeded to us by our forefathers... it was loaned to us by our children.

DG

• Sea Lion
  • First joined in 2013
  • View Profile
I've given up on leashes.  I've seen my buddies get tangled on them at the wrong place at the wrong time.

I can still remember 3 occasions, we were done fishing and re-entering from a surf launch. Upon getting off their yaks one of their feet got tangled on those leashes.  Its a good thing somebody was around to untangle them or cut the leash.  The next wave would have rolled them leashed to their kayaks. 

Oh yah make sure you have a knife attached to your pfd.

I have been tangled with longer ropes and the paddle cord a couple times.  I wanted a few tighter ones for my vhf radio and few other things I want close by.

Also want to make some for my friends boat.  Lost my favorite rod/reel last year when his downrigger rod holder snapped off. 

Knife on vest is a good idea. 
-----------------------------------
NorCAL HOW Volunteer

2018 NCKA - DOTY Committee Member

2017 DOTY 2 biggest fish awards
2016 DOTY 2nd place / 4 biggest fish awards
2016 Triton X - 2nd place
2016 Triton Open - Biggest Lingcod
2014 DOTY - 1 biggest fish award

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
I don't know "if" this has been posted here on NCKF B-4 but, I was forwarded this video from a member of the CCKF and I tried it and it IS "the trick"!

The credits go to Professor Salt for making the video, and to Mad Cat for the forward.

I Zod Out

Thanks IZod.......FYI this is NCKA not NCKF  :smt002
Pronounced in Spanish  ka·be·za de mar·t·yo
Translates to Hammerhead in English for my Gringo amigos.
....and yes that's me with a 6ft. green moray in the avatar.

"Spearos before Hos" - Silent Hunter

"Give your son a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Proud Papa of ...........
2018 JAOTY Lucas aka Baja Ninja
2018 JDOTY Noah aka Silent Hunter

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Floatation yes. Leashes no.
<=>

alexo

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
I made a bunch of those from another video I found. They're easy to make and work great.

Danglin

• Sea Lion
  • Accept Yourself, So Shall The World ...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
Floatation yes. Leashes no.

Even though I don't practice as I preach,  Tote is right… I use a similar method with old cell phone car charger cords…  I've been lucky so far and keep "several" knives at close range…  the only time I've really needed these is when I'm fishing with my boys and absolutely lose it trying to help them land fish as nothing is so exciting as seeing your young ones on fish out of a yak.  7 times after those events,  there have been one of my rods Dangling off the side of my yak…  :roll:

other than that, never really needed them and should switch to a floatation device….  when on the salt,  one should taylor every advantage one has toward safety …

again, though, I'll probably stay with my system as it is and hopefully survive that faithful day when it all goes wrong…  kind of like a proper diet to prevent cardiovascular disease, we won't give up the bag of potato chips till that elephant sits on your chest….

(see pic of disaster in wait…)

how many entanglements can you count in pic?

no prize for correct answer other than possibly your life….   

Ciao! 
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 08:11:17 PM by Danglin »
There are 3 Types of people in the world,,,

The Sheep, The Sheep Dog & The Wolf,

Which are You ,,,

2006 NCKA Shark Fishing Tournament Champion    
2nd Moutcha Bay, BC. 2006 "Tyee" Surfing Contest
ELK 07  1st Place Loser
HMB 09 3rd Place
HMB 09 Sardine Champion
2009-2016 Northern California HOW Coordinator

Love Baja…  :smt055

I Zod Out

• Salmon
  • View Profile I Zod Out
I am listening to the arguments against the use of leashes. Having heard similar arguments in the past decades in regard to surfboards, I was an opponent of them for years.  A ding in a fiberglass board is usually repairable, and there is a degree of safety in being able to shed the board in rough seas.

Currently however as a kayaker, this past 2013 year I lost 2 rods over the side of my Yak. One fresh water rod was on a lake where I fumbled the rod and it sank from view. The second was in the Pacific, where I bumped a fairly new (to me) 7' stick with my elbow when it was supposedly secure in a rod holder behind me, and the 4 oz. jig at it's tip quickly took it to the bottom. 

So, I have some direct experience in losing equipment. I figure I am currently in a position where the Water is + 2 and I am - 2.
I want to rectify my position.

As per the video above, here are some pics of today's  experiments with the making of coiled leashes.

Boiling the coils

Freezing the coils

Removing the Mandrels

After removing the coils from the mandrels

I Zod Out
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 09:26:32 PM by I Zod Out »

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
You won't loose a rod to the drink if you do this either.

<=>

barefoot1

• Sea Lion
  • The world needs more fruitcakes.--J. Buffet
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2008
http://palmettokayakfishing.blogspot.com/2011/09/build-rod-leash-for-kayak-fishing.html

This is what I use.  The cable clamps are cheap, can be undone with one hand, don't corrode, and don't damage the finish on rods or reals.   I crimp everything in my vise.  Also I can only echo the admonition about safety in the ocean.  Usually I only leash one extra rod.  I never leash the one I am fishing with, only the one behind me that I bring as a spare.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
- Mark Twain

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
You won't loose a rod to the drink if you do this either.

I agree w/ Tote.  I use smaller gray pipe insulation from any hardware store and tested them.  Your rod and reel will float rod tip pointing up.
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

anything