Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 10:05:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:47:48 PM]

[Today at 09:16:05 PM]

[Today at 07:01:31 PM]

[Today at 06:05:56 PM]

[Today at 03:56:50 PM]

[Today at 03:38:07 PM]

[Today at 01:56:07 PM]

[Today at 09:11:17 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 08:31:45 PM]

[April 28, 2024, 08:28:43 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 08:05:07 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 07:20:26 AM]

[April 26, 2024, 09:45:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 05:53:58 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 03:16:26 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 02:51:06 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 07:57:00 AM]

[April 25, 2024, 09:32:50 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 03:18:45 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 01:17:52 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 07:16:05 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 09:45:12 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: second rod for kayak  (Read 5207 times)

hightide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
I'm with sailfish here.  ugly stick 7' both just enough to go around bow of kayak
cheap dependable
ALLAN

2020 Hobie Revo 13
OK T15
Owned 2015 Hobie AI
Owned Scupper Pro TW

Live, Love, Launch!

stoggie

• Salmon
  • Team Mooch Patrol
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2008
I'm with a lot of guys that think cheap and dependable.

I've seen a lot of expensive equip go into the big blue this year alone. Expect to take a spill or have a yard sale and don't carry anything you would hate to lose.

Stoggie

Rock Hopper

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Global Moderator
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2005

I've seen a lot of expensive equip go into the big blue this year alone. Expect to take a spill or have a yard sale and don't carry anything you would hate to lose.

Or just leash your rods. For a fairly cheap, dependable all around rod it's hard to beat the Shimano Trevala. The 6'6" MH is good for everything from stripers and halibut to rockfish and sturgeon...and I've landed sturgeon on mine.  :smt002

For smaller game I also really like my Wal-Mart bought Quantum IM8 Tournament Grade rods. I have a 7' MH conventional and a 6'6" M spinner. Both are great for stripers, SM, LM, and larger trout. I even use them for halibut...although I'd hate to hook into a monster with the smaller spinning rod. But those two are my Lake Mendo live bait trollers.

For a heavier stick (but very light weight-wise), I love my new Lamiglas Tri-Flex Inshore. I have the 7' TFX7030C, rated for 15-30lb line. Great for jigging large leadheads for RF and Lings and super light. But it'll get a real test in Baja next month.

In Loving Memory of Mooch, Eelmaster, Shicken, and Cabeza De Martillo

I started kayak fishing to get away from most of you...

FishinJay

• Sunrise Prowler 15
  • Sea Lion
  • Indecision may, or may not, be my problem...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2006

For a fairly cheap, dependable all around rod it's hard to beat the Shimano Trevala. The 6'6" MH is good for everything from stripers and halibut to rockfish and sturgeon...and I've landed sturgeon on mine.  :smt002

Oh sure, rub it in!  :smt044
Searching is half the fun: life is much more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party. -Jimmy Buffett

Rock Hopper

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Global Moderator
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
                         :smt003

obkook

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
Nice - some great options there. Very much appreciated - I think I'll hit a couple of the fishing superstores next week in Tokyo and see what I can find there. If nothing interesting there, then look locally into a Trevala or UglySTik.

What reel and line do you like to use with this rod? I'm leaning towards a low profile, high capacity reel with braided line. Something light enough that I could use it for bass (on the rare occasion), but would handle lings.

Kook
Just a walleye fisherman from MN tryin' ta get salty!

Rock Hopper

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Global Moderator
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
I have two Trevalas. Both have Abu Record 60s.

My Lamiglass is matched with a Daiwa Saltist 20H. SWEET set-up, but overkill for most of what we fish for.

FishinJay

• Sunrise Prowler 15
  • Sea Lion
  • Indecision may, or may not, be my problem...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2006
I have one Trevala matched to an Avet SX. I suppose I could put the Revo Inshore on it which would probably meet the parameters you've laid out, but I have that on a Shimano Hotshot rod instead. I have used the Revo for bass fishing, and it works, but it feels like overkill.
Searching is half the fun: life is much more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party. -Jimmy Buffett

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Caught my biggest ling on a 6'6" light Trevala w/a Quantum Cabo low-pro caster spooled w/20lb Spiderwire Stealth. Best fight I've had from a kayak, so far. But my standard rig is the 6'6" MH trevala w/Abu 7000i and 50lb braid.

If you're looking for a saltwater rockfish/ling rod, you won't need to do much "casting." At least, not long distance. So the 8+ foot rods are ridiculously overkill (and only make it harder to manuever/land fish and more likely to break it). So, if you're just going for rockfish/lings, then get a 6-7ft rod. But if you are considering using it for stripers/butts, then 7.5ft is a decent choice because there will be times when you want to cast to stripers and the extra length comes in handy when trolling for + fighting a butt.

I have a Tiger Lite casting rod (I think 7ft) w/the cork-tape grip. It is a nice rod but the butt-cap is too big to fit in my normal Scotty rod holder. So I end up wedging it under my leg instead of putting it in the holder. Now I don't even use it for kayak fishing.
PK

Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

Eric B

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Exactly my take on things...

I like a 1 piece for the salt, less to go wrong, and 7' is just right for stowing on a paddle holder, (with the reel stowed below) on potential wet landings.

mendohead

• Sea Lion
  • 27.3 Lb 39" Santa Cruz, Ca. Butt on "Old Blue"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Hi ObK:

It's a personal thing and I would go FW and
try out the different Configs. to see how they feel in your Hand.
       Cheap and Light are opposites and, holding on to a Rod all day
can cause pain. Make sure to clip everything! :smt005
                                                                Sea-ya
                                                                Ernie

FW 2009 RF Derby King Davenport, Ca.

prowlingNorCal

• Kim
  • Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2007
Awesome information!

I have a question. I currently use a Penn 500 on a 8' ugly stick.  After Allen's fishing seminar last night I've decided I need to stow my gear before attempting a surf entry.  I need a rod that comes apart.

What rod would you recommend that comes apart for stowing?

Thanks!

Kim
Love it!

jmairey

• Sea Lion
  • 35" and ~25lbs of halibut
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Caught my biggest ling on a 6'6" light Trevala w/a Quantum Cabo low-pro caster spooled w/20lb Spiderwire Stealth. Best fight I've had from a kayak, so far. But my standard rig is the 6'6" MH trevala w/Abu 7000i and 50lb braid.

If you're looking for a saltwater rockfish/ling rod, you won't need to do much "casting." At least, not long distance. So the 8+ foot rods are ridiculously overkill (and only make it harder to manuever/land fish and more likely to break it). So, if you're just going for rockfish/lings, then get a 6-7ft rod. But if you are considering using it for stripers/butts, then 7.5ft is a decent choice because there will be times when you want to cast to stripers and the extra length comes in handy when trolling for + fighting a butt.

I have a Tiger Lite casting rod (I think 7ft) w/the cork-tape grip. It is a nice rod but the butt-cap is too big to fit in my normal Scotty rod holder. So I end up wedging it under my leg instead of putting it in the holder. Now I don't even use it for kayak fishing.
PK

I am sin coasts opposite here,  :smt002

I use an 8'+ 2-piece rod and like to cast from the kayak even when fishing for rockfish/lings (not always, but when the bit drops off, the horizontal presentation can work when the vertical one is not) I have hooked two halibut with the horizontal presentation when fishing for rockfish..

casting is also just plain fun. nothing like seeing that megabait flying through the air,  :smt004.

One cheap way to go is something like a cabelas tourney-trail 8'6" casting rod in the salmon/steel-head config. I would cut a little off the butt and add some counter weight and a butt cap to make it easier to handle while sitting.

John
john m. airey

Great Bass 2

• Catch And Cook (CNC)
  • Sea Lion
  • The Art & Science of Fishing & Cooking
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
If I were new to the sport and on a budget, I would buy an inexpensive combo from Walmart or Cabelas. Really don't need more to fish rockies. I am not a fan of the Baidarka rods because of the blank failures. A couple of weeks ago I was fishing with Sackyak and he had a guide break on his Baidarka. I repaired it for him but was surprised at the quality of the guide used for a rod in that price range. As far as 2 piece saltwater rods, those are not as common and can be fairly expensive. I built a St Croix Inshore travel rod - 7.5' 12-25# three piece but it was close to 200 dollars. The other problem with muti-piece rods is getting sand in the ferule.Using a tube can help prevent that.  There are really good rods made in America, something I factor into my decisions.

Scott
1st Place 2007 Kayak Connection Father's Day Derby
1st Place 2007 New Melones Trout Derby
1st Place 2011 Lake Berryessa Salmon Slam
1st Place 2011 Pay It Forward Taco Throw Down
1st Place 2011 Albion Open
1st Place 2012 & 2013 Central Coast Custom Lure Contest
1st Place 2013 The Simply Fishing Tournament

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
I started yak fishing with a 2 piece Ugly stick Tiger rod I got at Outdoor world for $48. I think they are more expensive now, but the rod has worked well. Largest fish I've landed on it (w/ 30lb mono & a Penn squidder reel) was a 23# Halibut.
It's now my backup rod. I loved the 2pc feature for stowing. My only gripe (8 years later) is that the guides are beginning to corrode. But I've certainly gotten my money's worth out of that rod.
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

anything