Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 10:36:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:11:17 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 08:31:45 PM]

[April 28, 2024, 01:27:07 PM]

[April 28, 2024, 08:28:43 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 08:05:07 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 07:20:26 AM]

[April 26, 2024, 09:45:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 05:53:58 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 03:16:26 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 02:51:06 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 07:57:00 AM]

[April 25, 2024, 09:32:50 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 06:57:02 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 03:18:45 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 01:17:52 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 07:16:05 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 09:45:12 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Garmin FF fails... again!  (Read 4821 times)

bbt95762

• Sea Lion
  • fresh and saltwater
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2021
I did a bit of research to find my next FF and all I saw was companies pushing bigger units which everyone seems to be fine with buying.  The Garmin Striker  actually has the best cost to features that I could find, but I was looking for something just a little bigger.  Easily double the price just to start looking at anything bigger than it.
the striker 4 plus is slight larger, and also does mapping (but you can't load a map - just record as you go) it's a nice compromise, and only $20 more

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2020
I did a bit of research to find my next FF and all I saw was companies pushing bigger units which everyone seems to be fine with buying.  The Garmin Striker  actually has the best cost to features that I could find, but I was looking for something just a little bigger.  Easily double the price just to start looking at anything bigger than it.
the striker 4 plus is slight larger, and also does mapping (but you can't load a map - just record as you go) it's a nice compromise, and only $20 more

Does it make the map based on your sonar readings, or just create a trackline for where you've been? 

Didn't want to void the warrantee by opening it up so I used RTV to seal the seams and then covered that with Gaffers Tape.

This is a great idea - I think I might do something similar.  Maybe incorporate a glare shield too, and then glue and seal the plugs on the back.
- Kevin

Plug-n-Jug

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2021

Does it make the map based on your sonar readings, or just create a trackline for where you've been? 

Didn't want to void the warrantee by opening it up so I used RTV to seal the seams and then covered that with Gaffers Tape.

This is a great idea - I think I might do something similar.  Maybe incorporate a glare shield too, and then glue and seal the plugs on the back.

The Striker Plus maps the contours of the body of water your on and has track-line capabilities too. It has a ton of memory so I'm not worried about storage space.
I did the glare shield to. Just cut up an old small black plastic trash can. Stuck it to the FF with the Gaffers Tape. Quality Gaffers tape is not cheap but it's way better than Duct or Gorilla tape. I always have a small roll on my kayak in case I get a leak. This stuff will stick under water.
I fish, therefore I Cuss and Lie!

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Carrying a roll of gaffers tape is great idea.  I have a bit of kydex leftover from other projects, so I will probably use that for the glare shield. 

I like the idea of contour mapping - that would probably be a game changer for rockfish.  I wonder - will the transducer for my current Striker 4 GPS work for the Striker 4 Plus?  I think if I get the new unit, leave current transducer in place in one kayak, mount new transducer in my other kayak.  Two birds, one stone kinda deal. 
- Kevin

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Well, I have to give Garmin some credit, as they are going to replace it for free (next day delivery too).

When I took it apart, I discovered the problem, as I'd used those 2 little M6 screw holes in the back to hold it to a starboard plastic frame. The case is cracked around both of them (and one of the threaded inserts popped out when I tried to remove the machine screw.

Seems like really flimsy plastic for the case, but even so, I'm not sure how it could have broken, as I never dropped it...

Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Well, I have to give Garmin some credit, as they are going to replace it for free (next day delivery too).

When I took it apart, I discovered the problem, as I'd used those 2 little M6 screw holes in the back to hold it to a starboard plastic frame. The case is cracked around both of them (and one of the threaded inserts popped out when I tried to remove the machine screw.

Seems like really flimsy plastic for the case, but even so, I'm not sure how it could have broken, as I never dropped it...

That is encouraging that Garmin is taking care of you - glad that worked out! 

I figured those threaded inserts were for exactly what you used them for - to mount to things.  I used one on the back of mine to attach a lanyard and used the provided mount to attach to the kayak, but thought about doing something like you did for better security. 

- Kevin

Plug-n-Jug

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2021
Carrying a roll of gaffers tape is great idea.  I have a bit of kydex leftover from other projects, so I will probably use that for the glare shield. 

I like the idea of contour mapping - that would probably be a game changer for rockfish.  I wonder - will the transducer for my current Striker 4 GPS work for the Striker 4 Plus?  I think if I get the new unit, leave current transducer in place in one kayak, mount new transducer in my other kayak.  Two birds, one stone kinda deal.

Yes, same transducer and power cables.
I fish, therefore I Cuss and Lie!

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
At least their customer service has been great as far back as I can recall.
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

Sweet, thanks for confirming!
- Kevin

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#

Sweet, thanks for confirming!

I'm actually using the transducer from my old Garmin, as it was gooped into the hull. It seems to be the same as the current version, so it looks like the transducer has not changed in a long time.

lucky13

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2009
My least favorite part of my Garmin is that the cables pull out of the back of the device...

A while back I was helping someone fix the power issue on his Lowrance Hook7. I was surprised to see that the plugs do not latch on or screw down. Why would Lowrance do something like that? My older Ti-7 has screw-on plugs that lock and seal. I couldn't believe how companies would go backward on their design.
I was so mad about those plugs not able to stay connected, I designed a retainer clip to fix their design flaws. Not only does this solve a flaky connection issue, the guy was never able to use di-electrical grease on the plugs before because the grease make it impossible for the connectors to stay plugged in. With this clip, the plugs have solid connections and do not pop out.

If I have a unit in my hands to take measurements with, I can probably make something similar for the Garmin.

lucky13

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
If your unit is having issues with fogging, you can try one of these...
https://www.amazon.com/CamKix-Anti-Fog-Inserts-Housing-Systems/dp/B00KIADIRO

The fogging issue makes my GoPro unusable underwater because of the condensation. I think these moisture absorbent inserts work well if you don't have a lot of moisture inside the unit. But if it has a big leak, then I don't think the inserts would help.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2023, 05:11:01 PM by lucky13 »

fishbushing

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2018
I would like one for the hook7 if you're selling them Ernest  :smt003
-Jason

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
If your unit is having issues with fogging, you can try one of these...
https://www.amazon.com/CamKix-Anti-Fog-Inserts-Housing-Systems/dp/B00KIADIRO

The fogging issue makes my GoPro unusable underwater because of the condensation. I think these moisture absorbent inserts work well if you don't have a lot of moisture inside the unit. But if it has a big leak, then I don't think the inserts would help.

If you're referring to my Garmin Striker, it's not a fogging issue, as there is moisture inside the unit (actually, a lot of water, as it is still dripping out). The plastic case is cracked and I doubt it'll fire up even if it ever manages to dry out. The previous unit also got moisture inside, and it was not revivable...

lucky13

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
If you're referring to my Garmin Striker, it's not a fogging issue, as there is moisture inside the unit (actually, a lot of water, as it is still dripping out). The plastic case is cracked and I doubt it'll fire up even if it ever manages to dry out. The previous unit also got moisture inside, and it was not revivable...

Then when you get your new unit, it's probably worth while to open up the unit and seal it properly from the inside. And perhaps add metal plates around the area where you had developed the cracks.