Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 01:25:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 29, 2024, 09:47:48 PM]

[April 29, 2024, 09:16:05 PM]

[April 29, 2024, 07:01:31 PM]

[April 29, 2024, 06:05:56 PM]

[April 29, 2024, 03:56:50 PM]

[April 29, 2024, 03:38:07 PM]

[April 29, 2024, 01:56:07 PM]

[April 29, 2024, 09:11:17 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 08:31:45 PM]

[April 28, 2024, 08:28:43 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 08:05:07 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 07:20:26 AM]

[April 26, 2024, 09:45:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 05:53:58 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 03:16:26 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 02:51:06 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 07:57:00 AM]

[April 25, 2024, 09:32:50 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 03:18:45 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 01:17:52 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 07:16:05 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 09:45:12 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: installing a fishfinder tips needed  (Read 1826 times)

gabekap

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2005
Hi guys.  I'm trying to figure out the best way to install a fish finder on an adventure island. I currently have it set up so the transducer is glued to the inside of the hull, and the chords come out the hatch to the unit. The obvious problem, I cant close the hatch very well with the chords coming out. My plan is to drill a hole and run the power and transducer chords through the boat, and install the fish finder on a removable bracket, so I can toss it in the boat or remove it if need be.  The problem here, is that I will still have the permanently  installed wires coming out of my boat, which I fear will get corroded as they have in the past. The wires have plugs with multiple prongs, and I want to find a way to keep them from getting corroded again. I have used dialectic grease, which helps a bit. Any suggestions on how you all install your fishfinders?  Thanks. I have a Lowrance Mark 4. I think it might require drilling 2 one inch holes that will need wire caps of some sort. Thanks for any suggestions!! 

Plug-n-Jug

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2021
Both Hobie and YakAttack offer pass through grommet kits that will work. As for the cable ends, Fill a Rubber with dielectric grease and stick that over your cable ends when not in use. I find Ribbed are stronger that non ribbed! :smt044
I fish, therefore I Cuss and Lie!

Sea-bree

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2021
I use a sacrificial terminal so there is no exposure to air or water when not in use. Just in case this is unclear, if you have a male terminal that goes to a battery when in use, keep an extra female terminal with your gear so that when you remove the battery at the end of the day, you can plug the female terminal into the male keeping it sealed. I do this with my waterproof battery box terminal end, as well as the terminal end that stays in the hull of my kayak.
With gratitude and humility

Mark L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
I have too many electrical connections. Three for the Hook2, three for the Raymarine, one for the SharkShield (external battery), and four for the Torqeedo. Some of the connections are 5 years old. I just keep them gooped up with CorrosionX. The CorrosionX stays on the connections really well so I only re-goop about twice a year. So far they look like new, and work fine.

I use the Hook2 in the lakes, and bay. The others get used in the ocean.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2023, 05:46:36 AM by Mark L »
2018 Eddyline Yellow Caribbean 14 Angler

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Both Hobie and YakAttack offer pass through grommet kits that will work. As for the cable ends, Fill a Rubber with dielectric grease and stick that over your cable ends when not in use. I find Ribbed are stronger that non ribbed! :smt044

I've never tried the YakAttack version but the Hobie ones work great, although you do have to drill a big hole, if that bothers you.

As for ribbed vs non-ribbed.... no comment...
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

charles

• Salmon
  • turn em. pedals mtb or ocean
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
Hi guys.  I'm trying to figure out the best way to install a fish finder on an adventure island. I currently have it set up so the transducer is glued to the inside of the hull, and the chords come out the hatch to the unit. The obvious problem, I cant close the hatch very well with the chords coming out. My plan is to drill a hole and run the power and transducer chords through the boat, and install the fish finder on a removable bracket, so I can toss it in the boat or remove it if need be.  The problem here, is that I will still have the permanently  installed wires coming out of my boat, which I fear will get corroded as they have in the past. The wires have plugs with multiple prongs, and I want to find a way to keep them from getting corroded again. I have used dialectic grease, which helps a bit. Any suggestions on how you all install your fishfinders?  Thanks. I have a Lowrance Mark 4. I think it might require drilling 2 one inch holes that will need wire caps of some sort. Thanks for any suggestions!!
I have the Adventure, 2012 model, and have just run the wires out the front hatch for 11 years. It works. Maybe a small amount of water gets in near the wires where the gasket does not seal completely but some water always leaks through those front hatchs. Very simple setup and at the end of the day battery, transducer and FF easily depart the yak. Same FF as yours also.
Charles

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
I have the Adventure, 2012 model, and have just run the wires out the front hatch for 11 years. It works. Maybe a small amount of water gets in near the wires where the gasket does not seal completely but some water always leaks through those front hatchs. Very simple setup and at the end of the day battery, transducer and FF easily depart the yak. Same FF as yours also.

Glad to know I'm not the only one  :smt044. I do think about drilling and making the wiring permanent so that if when sailing I do submerge the nose that I don't take on a lot of water.  I need to get a second transducer though so I can still use my FF on my other kayaks.
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie